Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image

View Poll Results: Favourite Marilyn Manson Album

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Portrait Of An American Family

9 10.11%
  • Antichrist Superstar

34 38.20%
  • Mechanical Animals

34 38.20%
  • Holy Wood (In The Shadow Of The Valley Of Death)

23 25.84%
  • The Golden Age Of Grotesque

8 8.99%
  • EAT ME, DRINK ME

5 5.62%
  • The High End Of Low

9 10.11%
  • Born Villain

14 15.73%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Favourite Manson Album!

I like Portrait a lot, just cause it's not higher doesn't mean I dislike it. I just happen to like the aforementioned albums more. I like a lot of the original Spooky Kids stuff too, especially "Thrift", "Negative 3", "Big Mother", "Forest Head", "Choklit Factory" and "Suicide Snowman". I'm honestly kinda sad more Spooky Kids stuff didn't make it on Portrait.

I've said before that I think Daisy's role is often grossly understated due to bias and that quite frankly Manson gets too much credit at times. That's not a shot at Manson, but Pogo, Gidget, and Daisy all deserve more adulation than they get tbh. Marilyn Manson wouldn't have become who he is without them.

HW has a nice mix of heavy and soft stuff, so it's not as a whole a heavy album.

The only Manson album I can honestly say I "dislike" as whole is BV, though there are songs on there I do enjoy.

But yes, I quite liked the SAY10 snippet. Honestly gave me shivers the first time. Certainly got more of a reaction from me than the "Disengaged", "I Am Among No One", and "Overneath" stuff we heard back before BV.
    Last edited by Mok; 01-09-2017 at 03:52 AM.

2. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Strange & Unusual Sinner Halo Infinity's Avatar

I seemed to have forgotten to directly respond to the first post in this thread.

Anyway, it's still definitely Mechanical Animals, and while there's a lot of favorite songs of mine on that album, I'd probably have to go for I Don't Like The Drugs (But The Drugs Like Me), as it's often my go-to song whenever I listen to it, proper listen or not.

My favourites in order are:

01. Mechanical Animals
    02. The High End Of Low
    03. Portrait Of An American Family
    04. The Family Jams (EP)
    05. Antichrist Superstar
    06. After School Special (EP)
    07. The Golden Age Of Grotesque
    08. The Beaver Meat Cleaver Beat (EP)
    09. Born Villain
    10. Holy Wood (In The Shadow Of The Valley Of Death)
    11. Grist-O-Line (EP)
    12. Eat Me, Drink Me
    13. The Pale Emperor

I guess the Spooky Kids cassette EPs are considered out of bounds, but I listen to and like several of them more than the later official releases so to me they are just as much part of the Marilyn Manson catalogue as anything else. That said, I did not include Big Black Bus, Lunchbox, The Raw Boned Psalms, Live As Hell, or Refrigerator because all of those are essentially almost entirely composed of tracks from earlier/later releases with 1 or 2 (at most) exclusive songs. The same can be said of Scott's Lunch Boxes & Choklit Cows release although I do like Scaredy Cat & Magic 8-Ball (from Part II - Unreleased) as much as anything. I know The Family Jams also has previously/later released songs, but I consider that recording of Dope Hat to be the definitive version (I actively dislike the Portrait version) and even Strange Same Dogma & White Knuckles are pretty different than the other recordings.

So, I guess it may be obvious with my rankings, but the albums I least like are the Manson Goes Goth albums. I feel like the songwriting for those is extremely weak and rather than concentrate on good songs those albums feel like an exercise in style over substance where Marilyn Manson is just trying to pander to the Hot Topic aesthetic and whatever he thinks people who embody that aesthetic will like. It's funny, because unlike most people here, I actually knew Tim Sköld from the Shotgun Messiah days when he was known as Tim Tim and had an appreciation for what he was doing. I wasn't impressed at all with Eat Me, Drink Me. I know he was also heavily involved in the songwriting of The Golden Age Of Grotesque as well, which I think is a much stronger album, but I feel like John 5 really kept the songwriting on track and at a much higher standard. I have very similar feelings to Eat Me, Drink Me about The Pale Emperor, which I like even less. I am hopeful that bringing Twiggy back into the fold will result in better songs as it has in the past. The High End of Low is absolutely brilliant from start to end in my opinion. That is one album that does not receive the accolades it deserves.

The reason I rate Holy Wood (In The Shadow Of The Valley Of Death) as low as I do is because from my point of view it was the single most disappointing album in the career of Marilyn Manson. I, like so many others, came on board with the cover of Sweet Dreams and discovered Portrait and LOVED it. From then on I was a fan. Honestly I liked Antichrist Superstar a little less than the debut, but enjoyed it nonetheless. Then came the album that I could not stop listening to, Mechanical Animals. It was brilliant from start to end and everything I wanted to hear at the time. I thought it was the perfect album. That is what left me so confused about Holy Wood (In The Shadow Of The Valley Of Death). To me it felt like a giant step backwards. It felt like the band had been going forward musically from album to album until Holy Wood when they abruptly stopped being creative and actively tried to copy the sound and style of Antichrist Superstar. Everything from the album cover to the sound of the guitars was mimicking Antichrist Superstar. Even the damn first single, Disposable Teens, sounded like it was trying to be a clone of The Beautiful People. It was a huge turn off for me and it took me years to get into that album in any meaningful way, and I still only really like a few select songs.

I guess this reply also serves as an introduction, since it is my first post! Hello!!! Sorry to start off with what is likely and unpopular opinion, but I guess that is me in a nutshell.

5. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post
    The Darkest Motherf*cker Desintegrator's Avatar

1. Antichrist Superstar
    2. Mechanical Animals
    3. Holy Wood
    4. The Golden Age Of Grotesque
    5. Born Villain
    6. Eat Me, Drink Me
    7. Portrait Of An American Family
    8. The Pale Emperor
    9. The High End Of Low
    10. Smells Like Children
    11. Spooky Kids (all of it)

My problem is, i like all of it, it just depends on my mood! I don't think of any Manson album as "bad".
    She's got her eyes open wide
    she's got the dirt and spit of the world
    her mouth on the metal
    the lips of a scared little girl

7. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

1. Holy Wood
    2. The Pale Emperor
    3. Antichrist Superstar
    4. Mechanical Animals
    5. Eat Me, Drink Me
    6. The High End Of Low
    7. The Golden Age Of Grotesque
    8. Portrait Of An American Family
    9. Born Villain

9. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Strange & Unusual Sinner Halo Infinity's Avatar

Since this still seems to be one of those threads for ranking Marilyn Manson albums, I thought that I'd at least do it one more time before Say10 comes out. My list also doesn't seem to be changing any time soon, especially among the first five albums.

I'm sure that it'll also be interesting to see how it'll change once Say10 comes out.

1. Mechanical Animals
    2. Antichrist Superstar
    3. Portrait of an American Family
    4. Holy Wood
    5. The Golden Age of Grotesque
    6. The Pale Emperor
    7. The High End of Low
    8. Eat Me, Drink Me
    9. Born Villain

Favorite album with my favorite song on it
    1. Antichrist Superstar -the reflecting god
    2.mechanical animals -Dissasociative
    3.holywood -King kill 33
    4.the pale emperor-TMOLA
    5.POAF-get your gunn
    6.The high end of low -iwtkyltditm
    7-born villain-title track
    8-Eat me Drink me -evidence
    9-golden age of grotesque -use your fist not your mouth
    Sorry for my poor english ,i'm a french Canadian from Montréal

12. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Once more before Say10.

1. Holy Wood (In The Shadow Of The Valley Of Death)
    2. Eat Me, Drink Me
    3. Mechanical Animals
    4. The Pale Emperor
    5. Born Villain
    6. The Golden Age Of Grotesque
    7. Antichrist Superstar
    8. Portrait Of An American Family
    9. The High End Of Low

Holy Wood is and always will be my favorite Marilyn Manson release. Eat Me, Drink Me wins second place on the strength of the title track, "Evidence", "The Red Carpet Grave" and "They Said That Hell's Not Hot".

14. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

My top favorites, in no particular order are:

Mechanical Animals
    Eat Me, Drink Me
    The Pale Emperor

These are all probably my equal favorites of Manson's discography.

16. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

Holy Wood. It doesn't have all of my favorite songs - both Mechanical Animals and Antichrist Superstar have individual songs I like more - but it's my favorite album. It was a throwback to the darker, harder mid 90's sound while still incorporating a lot of the more melodic and pop elements from Mechanical Animals in a way that I still thinks works really well. It's multifaceted but still feels coherent.

Everything since has been mediocre in my opinion though.

18. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post