Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: would manson benefit from an outside producer?

Default would manson benefit from an outside producer?

Recent albums have seen Manson/vrenna/skold in charge of the producers role. While there is no doubting that these guys have the potential to produce a great record, I was wondering what difference it would make having a producer who was not in any way involved in the band. Would it benefit the sound, and why would you think this? I'm starting to think it may be a possibility with the next record

It certainly would have helped with the High End of Low, which musically is terrible and all over the place. And yes it'd be nice if the next album was heavier.

Original AIDS provider.

Manson has always had a hand in the production, right from day 1. Of course, up until GAOG, he also had a co-produced from someone not in the band - Reznor and co. up to and including ACSS, Michael Beinhorn and Sean Beavan for MA, and Dave Sardy for HW. Take from that what you will, it probably depends on your opinion of the albums which follow. I think it can be beneficial, at times, to have someone who is artistically removed in that they are not in the band, so that you can throw ideas of them and get a bit more of a neutral opinion. However for the most part I think for an artist like Manson it's important to let him have his hand firmly on the control stick - letting someone else run it completely would take too much life out of what he does. He's already voiced plenty of distaste for record labels re-shaping his output, a produced who had total control and told the artist exactly what to do (like those who work with mainstream pop performers) could only be a bad thing in Manson's case, I'm sure.
    My avatar looks like a mix of NIN, My Chemical Romance, and Chris Vrenna

Quote Originally Posted by The Empirical Guy View Post
    I think it can be beneficial, at times, to have someone who is artistically removed in that they are not in the band, so that you can throw ideas of them and get a bit more of a neutral opinion. However for the most part I think for an artist like Manson it's important to let him have his hand firmly on the control stick - letting someone else run it completely would take too much life out of what he does.
    Pretty much both sides I was weighing up, so I thought it could make a good discussion. But I would be interested to see what ideas the right producer could bring to the album, if you could find someone who could work well with Manson, and still keep his work as he envisions it to be, but add a bit of extra flavor. Personally, I would love to see Manson work with Flood.

Administrator
    IN gOD WE TRUST
    Follow Cringeon On Twitter Add Cringeon on Facebook Visit Cringeon's Instagram Channel

I think as a producer MM has done great, but i think a coproducer would definitely inject a fresh perspective. What I would like to see more would be a different engineer to do tracking and mixing. Something more elaborate technique wise. Really fond of Sardy's work on HW, and while Sean Bevan is skilled it doesn't seem like he did much beyond what Vrenna did. A fresh set of ears removed from the band I think would definitely be an asset.

Remove Manson from all producing aspects, including any member in the band or that is involved in the band or any of their little friends from other bands. Manson needs something fresh, to change the game, well, his game actually. Want to know what's fresh? Deftones and this . . .

I'd love to see Manson work with an outside producer, but I think it's quite clear that he is no longer interested in taking that kind of chance. I think that the production of the past few albums have probably increased in quality with each release, Born Villain being the best, but I agree that at this point we really do need a fresh pair of ears on the inside. (Maybe "need" is a strong word, but still...) I doubt it, but we'll see when Manson comes around for the next record. Personally, I'd like to see him leave Cooking Vinyl at this point for a larger record company, especially considering the sales of BV. It did really well for an indie CD, no doubt, but for a Marilyn Manson album? He can do better than that, and so can we as buyers.

This is coming from someone who enjoys the past three albums quite a bit, too.

YES! Someone that is GOOD! very good.... not bad... I hope they have won some awards... I'm thinking MM needs Rob Kleiner.

Quote Originally Posted by Shattered Dream View Post
    Remove Manson from all producing aspects, including any member in the band or that is involved in the band or any of their little friends from other bands. Manson needs something fresh, to change the game, well, his game actually.
    Yep.