Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: would manson benefit from an outside producer?

I think an outside producer would be interesting. I really like the last few albums, so it's nothing like that, but I wonder how things would change if it wasn't just recorded sort of casually in Manson's house.
    I'd like to see them go to another studio, with a producer, and perhaps then they might include some live drums, which is something I miss and would really be interested to hear.

Administrator
    IN gOD WE TRUST
    Follow Cringeon On Twitter Add Cringeon on Facebook Visit Cringeon's Instagram Channel

A producer sometimes is only a person who plays a role in the shaping of the album, and is not always the same person who actually does the engineering and mixing. I think MM has proven his skill as a producer in terms of an album vision with albums like Mechanical Animals and GAOG which were very guided by his direction, although it's always good to have a second opinion on subtle things like messing with song arrangements and where to cut some fat. Then again, some producers really don't do anything except slap their own signature ontop of a band which can really be for better or for worst. So I think to a certain degree you can't have a complete stranger in the producer role guiding the path of the album, it's got to be someone trust worthy who is respectful of the bands integrity/direction and wants and provides the right kind of feedback when needed, or lets the band tread their own path when they are onto something good.

I think Mechanical Animals is a great example of a good production team vs good mix engineer. TLA is a serious top tier mix engineer, but I think his work on MA was good because all he did was take the album and just apply his sonic skills. I'd like to see something like that, even if MM works with people close to the camp like Beavan, Vrenna or others as a producer. I'd love to just see someone who has a knack for making those classic sounding mixes take the next MM and just give it the best sonic foot forward. Let the album be guided by the band and their producer, but have a good team of engineers, instrument techs and the like there to do a larger scale recording. I think my favorite thing about Holywood is the live sound of the drums/guitar/bass - it really sounds like something recorded all in one room. I'd love to see the band do something like that, because as a live unit this band is on fire.

what about Scott Humphfey or Rick Rubin?

I'd love to see Marilyn Manson work with someone like Michael Gira from Swans.

Add Para-Noir on Facebook Visit Para-Noir's Instagram Channel

Now that Vrenna is gone, I'd imagine they will hire an outside producer for the next album. This line-up in the studio with Rick Rubin would be fucking amazing.

Curious that you bring this topic to light as I've been talking about this quite often with some friends. This is an idea that I think could actualy help the band. Not saying that I disliked the production of the previous records, it was I guess the natural evolution for someone that's been there for so many years, taking the step to be in control of the direction he wants for his music. But I think a fresh more neutral mind could help them shape things a bit differently now, of course without compromising Mansons vision that must always prevail - or it wouldnt have been beneficial leaving a major fascist artless label. Sometimes you can benefit with the input of people that aren't as deeply imersed on the concept and emotions you want to transmit as you are. Some distance can be helpfull to create a fluid sound. And please, LIVE drums for a once, the strengh will be thankfull.

Visit kleiner352's Youtube Channel

He and they definitely would.

I think Manson has had a bad habit that is easy to develop of surrounding himself with yes men, without anyone being there to really say whether or not his ideas are bad or need to be developed further, etc. He seems to respond to criticism really poorly, even when it's constructive. A new producer could help with this and actually provide that all-too-needed voice of reason that's actually willing to say if an idea isn't developed well enough to be considered done. I'm not saying his stuff has sucked lately (if anything I'm the odd man out that loved EMDM and similar works), but a new outlook from a different musical background or just a different producer in general would be great to see.

Also, for Manson to not produce a Manson album at all would be interesting to see. I think he's someone who needs to feel in control and I know that will never happen, but it could have some interesting results.

Someone like Flood or Rick Rubin would potentially work wonders for the band's sound and help come up with something that feels like a progression instead of stagnation (which was and still is my biggest problem with BV). I think if Manson really wants a fresh and new sound then he'll need to have fresh people around the studio. But, so far it seems like he's not interested in doing that at all anymore.
    Kleiner352 liked this post

EvilDead, in all of his glory:

Administrator
    IN gOD WE TRUST
    Follow Cringeon On Twitter Add Cringeon on Facebook Visit Cringeon's Instagram Channel

Hell no on Rick Rubin, people bitch about loud mastering now can't even imagine what shit he would do with MM. I would say no typical big name producers. I'm sure the guys know plenty of producers, so I would love for some unknown or just not widely known to be in the producer role. Big ticket guys tend to be even more formulaic than what some think the problem with MM producing in. Last thing we need is an MM album with the stamp from big label ideas.

Heck, don't Die Antwoord produce their own LP's? I'd loveto see that happen. Manson knows them already.

Zach Hill and Flatlander. The more I think about this, the more I want it.