Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425

Thread: Favorite Album to Least Favorite?

The amount of people putting Pale Emperor below utter trash like Born Villain and Eat Me, Drink Me is just insane to me.

For me:

1. Mechanical Animals
    2. Holy Wood
    3. Anti-Christ
    4. Pale Emperor
    5. Golden Age
    6. We Are Chaos
    7. Portrait / Heaven Upside Down
    8. High End of Low
    9.Eat Me, Drink Me
    10. Born Villain
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

1. Holy Wood (In The Shadow Of The Valley Of Death)
    2. Eat Me, Drink Me
    3. Mechanical Animals
    4. We Are Chaos
    5. The Pale Emperor
    6. Antichrist Superstar
    7. The Golden Age Of Grotesque
    8. Heaven Upside Down
    9. Portrait Of An American Family
    10. Born Villain
    11. The High End Of Low

I love the top six and like the rest except THEOL, which I dislike.
    To revenge the misdeeds of the ruling class, there existed in the middle ages, in Germany, a secret tribunal, called the “Vehmgericht.” If a red cross was seen marked on a house, people knew that its owner was doomed by the “Vehm.”

All the houses of Europe are now marked with the mysterious red cross.

1. Mechanical Animals
    2. Holy Wood
    3. We Are Chaos
    4. Eat Me, Drink Me
    5. The Pale Emperor
    6. Antichrist Superstar
    7 Portrait of an American Family
    8. Golden Age of Grotesque
    9. The High End of Low
    10. Born Villain
    11. Heaven Upside Down
    A system organized around the weakest qualities of individuals will produce these same qualities in its leaders.

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotJesus View Post
    utter trash like Born Villain and Eat Me, Drink Me
    Care to elaborate?

1. We Are Chaos: I'm addicted. I love this album beginning to end. From the brilliant concept and writing to the catchy and diverse sounds, this is the perfect 2020 album.
    2. Mechanical Animals: My favorite of the triptych. The only song I tend to skip is "I Want to Disappear."
    3. Holy Wood: This may be my favorite album lyrically, but musically, I think the front half is far superior to the back half.
    4. Heaven Upside Down: Underrated, in my opinion, especially the title track and "Threats of Romance." "Saturnalia" may be my all-time favorite in the Manson catalogue.
    5. The Pale Emperor: This album came with a conciseness and freshness I hadn't heard since HW. The only song I don't care for is "Birds of Hell Awaiting."
    6. Antichrist Superstar: My first MM concert was during this tour, so the album will always mean something special to me. I honestly don't listen to it as often anymore, though.
    7. The High End of Low: Kind of a mess of an album, but that's one reason why I like it. "Devour," "Four Rusted Horses," and "Into the Fire" are Manson classics.
    8. Eat Me, Drink Me: Certainly not my favorite MM album, but it's aged fairly well and is often underappreciated, I feel. Some of the best guitar solos in MM's entire discography.
    9. The Golden Age of Grotesque: This may be my least favorite album lyrically, but sonically is fun as hell.
    10. Born Villain: This truly felt like a transition record between TGAOG/EMDM/THEOL and TPE/HUD/WAC, so there are hits and misses - fortunately more of the former than the latter.
    11. Portrait of an American Family: Ultimately, it's a fun record, but definitely with the feel of a debut album. Admittedly, I still enjoy it. Call it a guilty pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by S.D. View Post
    Care to elaborate?
    I mean I feel as if I could write an essay or two on why they're my least favorite Marilyn Manson albums - but I guess to sum it up, I think they're downright bad. They're the only two albums of his I would say are genuinely, truly bad. That's not to say they have no redeeming aspects in my mind, but I think - especially as time has past - they are the albums I turn to the least for a listen, and when I do I'm always disappointed in what I hear. I'll try sum it up in some dot points as best I can.

- A problem both EM, DM and Born Villain suffer extensively from is bad mixing. Not different. Not experimental. Downright bad. EM,DM was panned for that reason when it first came out, but too many people seem to give BV a pass in that regard. If I have to simplify the issues into a soundbite I'd say "EM,DM: excessive treble emphasis on lead guitar, awful vocal layering" and "BV: Awful vocal layering. No depth to mix. Instruments and vocals clash constantly. Half the songs feel like demos."

- In Eat Me, Drink Me its focus is myopic. It's one note. A more personal, vulnerable Manson was new and exciting but the central theme of the album wears out its welcome by song 4. it and Born Villain are the only two Manson albums I feel are stacked with filler, mainly tracks that feel half finished both in terms of instrumentals and writing.

- Born Villain suffers extensively from my least favorite late-career Manson trope: "Look at me. I'm a bogeyman. I'm dangerous. I'm fucked up." It's pretty self explanatory, even in the title. Most songs feel like he's trying to convince us that he's a some kind of high art villain. The moments he seemingly brags about domestic and interpersonal violence are especially on the nose given what multiple former partners and observers have alluded to for some time.

I'm deliriously tired right now so I hope what I'm saying makes some kind of sense.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

After listening We are chaos many times by now, I can rearrange my list:

1. Antichrist Superstar
    2. Mechanical Animals
    3. Holy Wood
    4. Portrait of an American Family
    5. The Pale Emperor
    6. Heaven Upside Down
    7. We Are Chaos
    8. The High End of Low
    9. Eat Me, Drink Me
    10. The Golden Age of Grotesque
    11. Born Villain

- Born Villain suffers extensively from my least favorite late-career Manson trope: "Look at me. I'm a bogeyman. I'm dangerous. I'm fucked up." It's pretty self explanatory, even in the title. Most songs feel like he's trying to convince us that he's a some kind of high art villain. The moments he seemingly brags about domestic and interpersonal violence are especially on the nose given what multiple former partners and observers have alluded to for some time.

I'm deliriously tired right now so I hope what I'm saying makes some kind of sense.
    I totally agree with this. That’s the reason why I couldn’t enjoy that era, at all. Terrible performances, too fucked up to talk in interviews, not particularly amazing music videos... he almost lost me as a fan, back then. The only things I can say I like from it, are the BV trailer and the titile track.

Since there’s a new album out and times change....and honestly, there isn’t a bad album imo.

1. Holy Wood
    2. The Golden Age of Grotesque
    3. Mechanical Animals
    4. Antichrist Suoeratar
    5. Heaven Upside Down
    6. We are Chaos
    7. The High End of Low
    8. Eat Me, Drink Me
    9. the Pale Emperor
    10. Born Villain
    11. Portrait of an American Family (love, but just has not aged well).

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

II'm deliriously tired right now so I hope what I'm saying makes some kind of sense.
    No worries, I read your post with interest, it made sense.

EAT ME, DRINK ME was an interesting sidestep for Manson, but it's possibly the album of his I visit the least, and similarly don't resonate much with. I get the whole tragic romance angle, but what would have become Phantasmagoria had less scope on a record. Still though, it's got ...Vampire and the title track, so even when Manson's not sure what direction to take an album in, he still delivers massive, complex songs.

I'm not a tech-head, so the sound quality gripe is kinda redundant for me. That's especially true with Born Villain, and in fact, I actually love how it sounds. He did say during interviews that more jagged influences like Revolting Cocks and Killing Joke was where he and Twiggy wanted to go, so I'll still defend that record. I also don't hear filler at all. In fact, I'd even be so bold to counter that BV was more diverse in its' songwriting range than the follow-up. I understand why people love The Pale Emperor so much, it's an undeniably solid record, but I think lyrically and sonically, Manson got more out of Twiggy on ...Villain than he did from Tyler on TPE, and I prefer the mood they created.

Quote Originally Posted by S.D. View Post
    No worries, I read your post with interest, it made sense.

EAT ME, DRINK ME was an interesting sidestep for Manson, but it's possibly the album of his I visit the least, and similarly don't resonate much with. I get the whole tragic romance angle, but what would have become Phantasmagoria had less scope on a record. Still though, it's got ...Vampire and the title track, so even when Manson's not sure what direction to take an album in, he still delivers massive, complex songs.

I'm not a tech-head, so the sound quality gripe is kinda redundant for me. That's especially true with Born Villain, and in fact, I actually love how it sounds. He did say during interviews that more jagged influences like Revolting Cocks and Killing Joke was where he and Twiggy wanted to go, so I'll still defend that record. I also don't hear filler at all. In fact, I'd even be so bold to counter that BV was more diverse in its' songwriting range than the follow-up. I understand why people love The Pale Emperor so much, it's an undeniably solid record, but I think lyrically and sonically, Manson got more out of Twiggy on ...Villain than he did from Tyler on TPE, and I prefer the mood they created.
    I get what you're saying - although I don't know if I necessarily agree on the last points you made.

I think if I had to choose one over the other I'd keep EM,DM and turf Born Villain. EM,DM for all its faults is still an interesting project / experimentation in style. It's also the most complex in guitar work which I really love - every song having a solo is such a rarity for Manson's work.

I don't begrudge some fans loving Born Villain. I definitely get its appeal - especially after THEOL hit with an unceremonious wet thud before it. That being said - I actually think the bad aspects of THEOL are much worse than Born Villain's, but THEOL also has far better moments of strength. BV just feels uninspired and uninteresting to me. Every listen feels the same.