Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Childfree & Unmarried

I never wanted to get married because I wanted my freedom.

But then I meet the love of my life, and then I didn't mind getting married because I just love this man so much.
    Last edited by Cat; 02-28-2013 at 07:00 AM.

2. Like 4 Member(s) liked this post
    Come to the dark side Black Dahlia's Avatar

Everyday that i'm a school bus driver for special needs children makes me not want children, until I realize how many eggs I have left. I do want to be married someday but at the rate i'm going I won't meet someone til i'm 70.

I'd look at marriage more from the legal perspective - what benefits will marriage bring to the table that we wouldn't have already? Things like being able to make medical decisions on behalf of your spouse etc. - these things are pretty important and should be taken into consideration if you're in a serious committed relationship and plan to be together for the long haul.

Honestly things like that would probably be the main reasons I would consider getting married rather than for some sort of symbolic reason, I don't think you need a marriage to somehow prove to each other or to anyone else how committed the relationship is, that's a load of antiquated crap to me. But either way I'm happily single at the moment so it's not something I need to be worrying about.

As for children I don't plan on having any, I think I could be a good parent if I chose to be but it's not something I really want. Kids are hard work and a lifetime commitment, and I have other plans that kids wouldn't fit in to! And I really don't think that's selfish as so many people claim. In fact I would say that many people have children for their own selfish reasons.

As cliche and whiny as it sounds I don't want to get married because I've grown up knowing pretty much nothing but divorce. Between my uncles all being divorced three or more times, my parents, my friends' parents, and so on, I have a very difficult time viewing marriage as something "sacred" or permanent. Also, the people who never got a divorce that I grew up around were fucking miserable. My grandparents on both sides really made marriage seem like a prison sentence. And my parents before they got divorced were an absolute, fucking nightmare.

I know that all marriage's don't end up in divorce and I know that all marriages aren't miserable. I know that what I've seen in my life is not how it always is or how it is for everyone else. But unless I find someone who I can actually stand being around that often for the rest of my life and also truly believe that they feel the same way, I'll stay single... or not married, I mean. Which is fine and doesn't bother me at all. I have a hard enough time with the relationships I have and the ones I've had in the past. The last thing I need to do is get money and lawyers involved.

As for kids. I do not want any. I never have and people have always said, "You say that now but just wait until you get older." Well, I'm getting older and I still do not want kids. Yet, some people will still give me shit about it and say things like, "That's just how you feel now. You might change your mind later." As if they're right about something - as if me not wanting kids and them thinking I should is some sort of an argument. Of course I don't know how I'll feel about something later. Of course I might change my mind about something in the future. But using that against me not wanting kids is fucking retarded. It's like saying, "You don't want to rape and kill now but you might change your mind in the future." or "You say you like having kids now. You might change your mind in the future and disown or murder them." and then giving a playful nudge. It's fucking mental, a ridiculous "argument", and an all around stupid thing to say. I can't base my current beliefs or opinions on how I might feel in the future or on the possibility that I might change my mind later on. There would be no point in having an opinion about anything ever.

As for why I do not want children, I'm well aware that I'm not mature enough or responsible enough to take on the role of a father. I've had people tell me, "Oh, all of that changes once you hold them in your arms." And that is complete bullshit. If that were the case my life would have been a lot better growing up. A lot of people's lives would have been better growing up if fathers automatically became mature adults when they had a kid. Also, I want to live for me and only me right now. I want to do whatever I want and not have other obligations holding me back. Is that selfish? No. It would be selfish if I had a kid and still felt and acted that way. Maybe some people are capable of doing whatever they want and having children. More power to them. But I know that I am not able to do that and I won't risk fucking up a child's life, or mine, because of the expectations of others.

* Holy fuck, that was long.

6. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Follow crazybitch On Twitter Follow crazybitch on Tumblr Visit crazybitch's Instagram Channel

Well, I don't have any issues with sex or pregnancy, I'm just careful and yes....Marriage is over-rated. Unless, I found the ultimate Priest to be a Priestess to.

8. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

I would feel totally guilty for bringing children into this hell of a world, I wouldn't at all be proud of that or selfish enough to do so. I do help enough children that have already been put into this world and that is my attribution, as I see that the world needs more love, kindness, guidance and understanding.
    I will only marry when I am sure of it being everlasting and unconditional.

10. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

I am in absolutely no fit condition to marry anyone, perpetually impoverished as I am, and certainly not equipped to be a father.
    To revenge the misdeeds of the ruling class, there existed in the middle ages, in Germany, a secret tribunal, called the “Vehmgericht.” If a red cross was seen marked on a house, people knew that its owner was doomed by the “Vehm.”

All the houses of Europe are now marked with the mysterious red cross.

Well as a gay man I don't really have the option of having biological children (or rather I find the options I do have available to be incompatible with my preferences). I would however adopt children in a heartbeat because I do think I would make a good parent and I am a very nurturing person by nature. Having said that, I believe that there are MANY milestones and experiences I need to have before becoming a parent so my becoming a parent one day is dependent on me accomplishing those things (many of which will enable me to be a good parent, like career/life satisfaction, finances, greater emotional and mental stability, basically a lot more growing up). I would never allow myself to have children before figuring my shit out and/or as some distraction from the realities I need to overcome. Having had unstable parents growing up who only had children out of tradition and raised them in ignorance of their needs, I can really appreciate what a tremendous responsibility it is to raise a child and I would never commit myself to such a thing until I felt truly capable.

In regards to marriage, I feel the same way in regards to wanting to create a more stable life for myself before committing to a marriage with anyone. I love my partner very much and we have been together for almost 3 years now (living together and sharing a life for almost 2 of those years) but I don't think either of us are ready for something like marriage. We have a lot more growing up to do before making that sort of commitment.

So in short, I don't see either marriage or children on the horizon any time soon, but I would never say never. If the circumstances are right, I would be down for either.
    Cocksuckasaurus.

13. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

I had no idea you are a biological male, Lucille. Which makes the fact that I found your pictures erotic strange and discomforting to me , but not in some knee-jerk Gay Panic sense - more like an "I did not know that about myself" kind of way.
    To revenge the misdeeds of the ruling class, there existed in the middle ages, in Germany, a secret tribunal, called the “Vehmgericht.” If a red cross was seen marked on a house, people knew that its owner was doomed by the “Vehm.”

All the houses of Europe are now marked with the mysterious red cross.

15. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

If you're a man you have almost no incentive to get married these days.