Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Linkin Park

Quote Originally Posted by cataract777 View Post
    Very random and unfortunate. He'd come into my work every now and then to shop, pretty nice and chill guy. Left behind six kids too. Damn.
    I wouldn't exactly call it random.

He was really close with Chris Cornell and killed himself the same way shortly after Cornell's death and on Cornell's birthday, no less. Who knows what was really going on there but it's hard to imagine those facts NOT being relevant somehow.

Anyway, it's a shame. I was never the biggest fan but I always thought he was super talented and pretty cool... definitely one HELL of a singer. Glad I got to see them on OzzFest a few times even though I can't say I ever bought any of their albums. And speaking of tragedies, I would've loved to have seen him with STP.

Always thought the Manson remix, "Buy Myself," and Linkin Park's work on the Transformers films were really cool, too.

Even though I wasn't even really much of a fan they were still a pretty inescapable and cool part of the soundtrack of our lives for the last 20 years and he will definitely be missed.

:-\

2. Like 3 Member(s) liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Hazekiah View Post
    Even though I wasn't even really much of a fan they were still a pretty inescapable and cool part of the soundtrack of our lives for the last 20 years and he will definitely be missed.

:-\
    This pretty much sums up my feeling about the situation. Like a couple of songs here and there but that's pretty much it.

Omniscient Iniquitous Dirge Inferno's Avatar
    Follow Dirge Inferno On Twitter Add Dirge Inferno on Facebook Follow Dirge Inferno on Tumblr Visit Dirge Inferno's Youtube Channel Visit Dirge Inferno's Instagram Channel

I was never a fan, but it's sad to see all the suicides lately. R.I.P.

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Quote Originally Posted by cataract777 View Post
    He'd come into my work every now and then to shop, pretty nice and chill guy. Left behind six kids too.
    What has your work decided to do with the six children?
    "the Serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which
    the LORD god had made
    "

m e m e n t o m o r i . p o s t m o r t e m

6. Like 6 Member(s) liked this post
    Visit cataract777's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by S.D. View Post
    What has your work decided to do with the six children?
    Lol, that's some funny shit.

8. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

I'll be honest, the only music of Linkin Park I know of is from memes.

It's hard to explain how I feel about this. I was never a Linkin Park fan. I actually couldn't stand their music. I always thought there was something very trite and cliché about their lyrics, so much so that I believed Linkin Park were a cynical attempt to exploit and capitalize on genuine emotions. But now that he's committed suicide, I almost feel guilty for thinking that way; as though I misjudged him, and somehow contributed to his death.

Lots of musicians have died these past few years, but Chester's death has hit me more than most others'. I know Chris Cornell was only a few years older than Chester, but Soundgarden had been around since the '80s, whereas Linkin Park were relatively recent: Hybrid Theory came out just as I was hitting puberty - the time when music means more to people than ever. I never liked it, but I was friends with people who did. It's sad to know that he won't be around to be part of those peoples' lives. RIP Chester.

11. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post
    Spawning Forth The Snake spaceSuicide's Avatar
    Follow spaceSuicide On Twitter Add spaceSuicide on Facebook Follow spaceSuicide on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Homeostasis View Post
    It's hard to explain how I feel about this. I was never a Linkin Park fan. I actually couldn't stand their music. I always thought there was something very trite and cliché about their lyrics, so much so that I believed Linkin Park were a cynical attempt to exploit and capitalize on genuine emotions. But now that he's committed suicide, I almost feel guilty for thinking that way; as though I misjudged him, and somehow contributed to his death.

Lots of musicians have died these past few years, but Chester's death has hit me more than most others'. I know Chris Cornell was only a few years older than Chester, but Soundgarden had been around since the '80s, whereas Linkin Park were relatively recent: Hybrid Theory came out just as I was hitting puberty - the time when music means more to people than ever. I never liked it, but I was friends with people who did. It's sad to know that he won't be around to be part of those peoples' lives. RIP Chester.
    I hated Linkin Park prior to this and will continue to do so after his death. The band rode fads of what was in at the time and treaded some mediocre bullshit as far as I'm concerned.

It's tragic what became of Bennington this Thursday but it will never change my opinions on the band's musical output. However that's nonsense now and the best you can do is give best wishes to his family and friends/band mates.

RIP.
    Last edited by spaceSuicide; 07-23-2017 at 03:07 PM. Reason: grammar
    I use words sharp as a sword

13. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Administrator
    IN gOD WE TRUST
    Follow Cringeon On Twitter Add Cringeon on Facebook Visit Cringeon's Instagram Channel

I was one of those kids that the first album had a memorable impact on me and figuring out those teen angst feelings. The thing about Linkin Park is that they found a sound in themselves very early on that rocketed them. From the 2nd album you could hear that the success of In The End really gave them the confidence to do their own thing. They might have made a style of music I wasn't into, but everything I've ever seen of them is that they were a band doing their own thing, their way. Even if they lost fans, gained new ones - it was just them doing what they wanted. Plus, a band that has held onto a lineup always gave it a sense of unity. They weren't afraid to dabble and probably did more than other crossover genre artists. For all the shit they get, there was a real reason they were able to get to the status they were. Plenty of other artists have cringe worthy lyrics, but Chester's voice had a unique quality and his delivery and emoting was something I could dig. While I fell off after Meteroa, this will always be one of my favorite tracks he was on - even just as a guest singer.

15. Like 3 Member(s) liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Cringeon View Post
    I was one of those kids that the first album had a memorable impact on me and figuring out those teen angst feelings. The thing about Linkin Park is that they found a sound in themselves very early on that rocketed them. From the 2nd album you could hear that the success of In The End really gave them the confidence to do their own thing. They might have made a style of music I wasn't into, but everything I've ever seen of them is that they were a band doing their own thing, their way. Even if they lost fans, gained new ones - it was just them doing what they wanted. Plus, a band that has held onto a lineup always gave it a sense of unity. They weren't afraid to dabble and probably did more than other crossover genre artists. For all the shit they get, there was a real reason they were able to get to the status they were. Plenty of other artists have cringe worthy lyrics, but Chester's voice had a unique quality and his delivery and emoting was something I could dig. While I fell off after Meteroa, this will always be one of my favorite tracks he was on - even just as a guest singer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtpjjRXcBVA
    Definitely agree with you, here.
    While I completely lost interest in them after they released Minutes To Midnight, we can't deny the fact that, in someway, with their first 3 albums (that also includes Reanimation which, to this day, it's still one of the best remix albums ever put out) they managed to turn the whole nu-metal thing into something more complex, unique and "fresh".
    I was already a big fan of Deftones, KORN and Slipknot, prior the release of Hybrid Theory. But after hearing it for the first time, I was definitely hooked and was always digging for their unique style and sound.
    They just had that little particular something that neither Deftones or Slipknot had at the time (at least for me).
    And it was thanks to them that later on I got into Depeche Mode and more electronic-oriented music, such as Front Line Assembly, Delerium and the other side-projects of Bill Leeb.
    So, yeah. One can say whatever he/she wants about LP and how they "betrayed" their fans with their change in sound with their more recent releases. But no one can't deny the fact that these guys, back in the day, when other bands only knew how to scream their brains out, growl, throw F-bombs with some non-sense rapping and lyrics (oh....Limp Dipzkit), they definitely had that something to turn the already "saturated" nu-metal scene upside down and change it, someway, to something more fresh and cool. You simply can't deny it.
    And you can't deny it that these guys got a lot of respect, throughout the years, from other bands in the rock/metal scene (from Manson, to Deftones, KORN, Slipknot, etc...).
    These guys simply had the balls. And that's all I will say.
    Chester will forever be missed. He had a good outstanding voice. He was very talented and he definitely knew how to use it properly.
    It's a very deep loss for me. Much like the loss of Layne Staley still is to this day, to me.
    May him R.I.P.

17. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post