Nav_image
Nav_image NEWS TOUR BIOGRAPHIES DISCOGRAPHY VIDEOGRAPHY GALLERY INTERVIEWS Nav_image
Nav_image JOURNAL ESSAYS TIMELINE FORUM THEATRE SITE INFO Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are you a skeptic?

Default Are you a skeptic?

Often when I meet other skeptics it seems to be a matter of degree. Some will claim to be Atheists for instance, but will just as confidently talk about believing in "energy," spirits or healing crystals.

Now, I'm not saying that skepticism and atheism have to be, for instance, one in the same (though, it's probably fair to say that theists are generally less skeptical), nor am I saying that a skeptic shouldn't support bigfoot if there were credible, tested evidence (there just isn't any) what I'm saying is that people aren't very consistent in their skepticism. Most often it seems people pick and choose which aspects of life they want to think skeptically about.

What about you? Do you consider yourself a skeptic? Or are you God fearing, Ghost hunting, Chiropractor visiting, true believer?

Is there such a thing as being too skeptical? Or do human beings need to believe in silly things like Q-Ray bracelets and things that go bump in the night, if for no other reason than our amusement?

If anything, I'd say I lean more towards the original Illuminati . . .

The goals of the organization included trying to eliminate superstition, prejudice, and the Roman Catholic Church's domination over government, philosophy, and science; trying to reduce oppressive state abuses of power, and trying to support the education and treatment of women as intellectual equals.

speed bump mannequin Golden Eel's Avatar

lol oh boy

and with just one faint glance back into the sea
    the mollusk lingers with its wandering eye

Administrator
    IN gOD WE TRUST

I'm more skeptical of my fellow humans than anything we dont understand or know.

Fast Food Nude. Whisky And Speed's Avatar

Yes, I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Cringeon View Post
    I'm more skeptical of my fellow humans than anything we dont understand or know.
    Elaborate please.

Skeptical of science and scientists? Of fact or religion and hearsay? Humans are pretty much all you can go by to understand anything.

Sure you can experience it yourself but often you don't know what the fuck it is you're experiencing and need a little understanding or research to fully understand.

Administrator
    IN gOD WE TRUST

Skeptical of ideology I suppose. Even those who fight against a certain ideology are still adhering to just a polar opposite. I wouldn't say I am a skeptic of science, because I understand only in few instances is it absolute fact. Science is study, and ideas, and evolving and so I still leave room for error. I'm also not skeptical of religion as a concept, but the motives of people under the idea of religion.

For me, it's possible to experience things for yourself, and have your own understanding even if it's not something you can communicate to others. Of course the way you experience something is completely influenced by your understanding, or the things you seek out - but I think sometimes people in either an attempt to discredit an experience as something, or confirm it as whatever they want it to be - people stop themselves from personal truths that may not be filed under either File A or File B.

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrity Killing Spree View Post
    Often when I meet other skeptics it seems to be a matter of degree. Some will claim to be Atheists for instance, but will just as confidently talk about believing in "energy," spirits or healing crystals.

Now, I'm not saying that skepticism and atheism have to be, for instance, one in the same (though, it's probably fair to say that theists are generally less skeptical), nor am I saying that a skeptic shouldn't support bigfoot if there were credible, tested evidence (there just isn't any) what I'm saying is that people aren't very consistent in their skepticism. Most often it seems people pick and choose which aspects of life they want to think skeptically about.

What about you? Do you consider yourself a skeptic? Or are you God fearing, Ghost hunting, Chiropractor visiting, true believer?

Is there such a thing as being too skeptical? Or do human beings need to believe in silly things like Q-Ray bracelets and things that go bump in the night, if for no other reason than our amusement?
    Everything else aside, I consider myself lucky that I was at least raised in an atheist/agnostic household and never had the rest of that retarded bullshit forced upon me. Bertrand Russel's Why I am Not a Christian was always readily available yet never recommended, just sitting there on a shelf next to a million other books on a million other subjects and waiting for me to stumble upon it.

That said, I get the "energy" argument...at least to a degree.

Do I think crystals help me harmonize my being with the will of the universe? Show me concrete evidence or STFU and GTFO, and I highly fucking doubt anyone's gonna come up with anything that doesn't make them look like a thalidomide imbecile. But do I concur with the ideas that human consciousness is basically an electrical signal sent through organic systems and the conservation of energy? STFU, I'm not a biologist OR a physicist. But it kinda makes sense, I guess.

There's still a BIG difference between what's understood to be bioelectricity and an what's tantamount to an "aura," though.

So do I believe my energy lives on and continues to propagate life into whatever consumes it? Kinda.

But do I actually believe that after all that I'm still me and having a kickass time as a mineral deposit or a tree? STFU you goddamned fucking moron.

So am I a skeptic? HELL FUCKING YEAH.

Make of that what you will.

:P

Haha, WOW. I was fuckin' trashed last night when I wrote that and barely even remember doing it, lol.

Sorry for the double-post, I just want to clarify that in no way whatsoever was any of that directed at anyone in here! Re-reading it now I can totally see how it might've seemed a bit rude and aggro and might easily have been misconstrued as being directed at the OP. Repeatedly directing my surly examination of the topic at "you" was nothing more than a rhetorical convenience. Don't want anyone getting the wrong idea about that!

>_>

<_<

Drunkpost was drunk.

Yeah, that was painful to read. Telling others to "STFU" unless they have evidence while you support the idea "that human consciousness is basically an electrical signal sent through organic systems and the conservation of energy" while not providing any evidence and stating that you're not a biologist or physicist but it "kinda makes sense" and for whoever to once again "STFU".

There's better ways of getting your point across without sounding like an arrogant asshole and calling people who don't share the same beliefs as you "goddamned fucking moron(s)". Regardless of whether or not you were drunk. I'm an atheist but that sort of attitude you showed is what makes people think that people who don't believe in god are arrogant assholes.

It doesn't matter if it wasn't directed at any particular person in the thread. If you're going to try to sound intelligent... fucking sound intelligent, for the love of fuck.