Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did anyone ever find out what the "hidden" verse in EAT ME, DRINK ME is?

Visit kleiner352's Youtube Channel

Default Did anyone ever find out what the "hidden" verse in EAT ME, DRINK ME is?

Seriously. We make tons of threads going into really small and unimportant things of how [insert band here] references MM and go really in-depth over it but I still have never seen a realistic examination of this. In this interview: http://www.mansonwiki.com/wiki/Inter...d_Carpet_Grave , MM talks about the title track (which is a strong favorite of mine).

If you don't want to read through the article here is the relevant part:

"To me it's the scariest and darkest track on the record. In some ways I had imagined that title being attached to it much earlier but never mentioned it to anyone. It was the last song I finished and is pretty much why it's the ending... There are a lot of things about EAT ME, DRINK ME that are strange, unusual and disturbing to me.
    It's truly a really upsetting song because there are a lot of things that don't fit right in audio phase or in the stereo spectrum. There are a lot of things that don't fit right sonically which is an intentional creation, but not in a way that was forced. There's a third verse that appears in a chopped up manner that has as many lyrics as the other two verses. I did not include that one in the booklet simply because I thought it would be interesting to allow people to interpret it how they want to. I didn't want to put it in front of your eyes to affect how your ears hear it.
    This song was really interesting in its arrangement musically when Tim presented it to me. It's very similar to how it appears now, but I was really affected in a lot of ways and attached to the guitar in that song, especially in the chorus when it opens up more. At first I didn't know if I wanted to sing on it. I thought maybe it was meant to be an instrumental piece, and I finally figured out what needed to be said. I had found a notebook that had a very erratic and couldn't explain to myself what these writings were. A lot of these writings were notes or a sketched out concept for a visual, cinematic scene. I don't know if it was an early concept for Phantasmagoria, or just something I wanted to do visually because I write everything that I think of down.
    I realized at the time that day I had finished reading a different book by Vladimir Nabokov. Lolita was obviously a book that I was very drawn to and inspired by... I was reading an Invitation to a Beheading, which is a really fantastic book as well. The song has a lot of literature references in it. They weren't specifically intended to be that, but that song really tied together everything in the same way that the painting I did of The Flowers of Evil.
    There are different reasons for putting things in different places. There's another verse that essentially because of the arrangement, I felt that there wasn't a need to have a musical chorus or verse. I found that that spot that it exists in really made it the right place to say it. When I hear it, it's really upsetting to me in a strange way. I can't really decide how, but I'm very pleased with that song."

So basically there's an entire verse that's messed with and no one has seemed to figure it out at all. I've heard some B.S. answers like "I hear voices in my head" but if it's the same length as the other verses then at best that's a single part of it. If you listen to the part in question even you can make out syllables and sounds but really no coherent sentences and parts that are obviously either backmasked or placed over other lyrics to the point of incomprehension.

Any ideas? Any thoughts on how to figure this out? It's bothered me for a long time and I've still seen no solutions for this.
    Kleiner352 liked this post

EvilDead, in all of his glory:

2. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Administrator
    IN gOD WE TRUST
    Follow Cringeon On Twitter Add Cringeon on Facebook Visit Cringeon's Instagram Channel

This is the best I could isolate where the vocals sit. They definitely are chopped up a bit, so it's hard to make out what it says.

Sounds like at the beginning "Note to self" and then kind of sounds like at the end "This is/isn't a solution"

Original AIDS provider.

Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    I did not include that one in the booklet simply because I thought it would be interesting to allow people to interpret it how they want to. I didn't want to put it in front of your eyes to affect how your ears hear it.
    Isn't that the answer right there? He said the whole intent was for people to take what they wanted from it, without it being affected by other sources, so asking people for an answer seems to be missing the point somewhat. Not to come across rude or anything, I just don't see the point in asking people about something that the creator said should be taken on a personal basis. Case in point, I can only barely make out Cringeon's guess at what they are in the bit he posted, and only then because I was specifically looking for them.
    My avatar looks like a mix of NIN, My Chemical Romance, and Chris Vrenna

Administrator
    IN gOD WE TRUST
    Follow Cringeon On Twitter Add Cringeon on Facebook Visit Cringeon's Instagram Channel

Also the above clip is from the "instrumental" version of EMDM which has all the main vox tracks muted. I'm guessing it got cut up and used more as a sampling effect rather than direct vocals track since they left it in the instrumental.

Visit kleiner352's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Cringeon View Post
    Also the above clip is from the "instrumental" version of EMDM which has all the main vox tracks muted. I'm guessing it got cut up and used more as a sampling effect rather than direct vocals track since they left it in the instrumental.
    There are a few points in the instrumentals where you can hear brief moments of his voice in the background, I wanna say that Red Carpet Grave was one of them. Thanks for trying isolate that part though!

And Empirical, that's fine and dandy and all that, but I genuinely do not care how MM wants me to listen to his music, if I'm interested in what he's actually singing (and I am, it's one of his most powerful and lush songs in my opinion and really hits home for me), then I'm interested. I don't give a good goddamn. I'm all for the "find your own meaning" style stuff, but when it is literally impossible to hear everything, then saying "oh well find your own meaning" is a nicer way of saying "tough shit, kid!"

Oh and am I the only one that can hear "two hearts created equal" and "sun's up" in that section? They're the only lines I've ever been able to clearly comprehend.
    Kleiner352 liked this post

EvilDead, in all of his glory:

Hallelujah motherfuckers thatrussianman's Avatar

Two hearts created equal ... yeah I hear it too ^_^
    I'm not actually Russian.

Original AIDS provider.

Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    And Empirical, that's fine and dandy and all that, but I genuinely do not care how MM wants me to listen to his music, if I'm interested in what he's actually singing (and I am, it's one of his most powerful and lush songs in my opinion and really hits home for me), then I'm interested. I don't give a good goddamn. I'm all for the "find your own meaning" style stuff, but when it is literally impossible to hear everything, then saying "oh well find your own meaning" is a nicer way of saying "tough shit, kid!"
    Fair enough to want to know, but the point remains that as it is so chopped up and processed that without a definitive answer from Manson himself, anything you end with is only ever going to be your's or someone else's interpretation of it. So, in the end, you still end up doing what he wants, in a way.

^
    Uh, so what? What is the point in even bringing that up? We shouldn't bother talking about it? Sorry, I think this is a lot more interesting then comparing Manson & In This Moment with anything and everything.

Two hearts created equal. Hear it too.

I hear it as well. Kind of hear "sun's up" as well but it sounds like it's different words on top of each other or crossed together. What with all the vampire references and hearts references and imagery it wouldn't surprise me if they were part of what was being said.

Quote Originally Posted by The Empirical Guy View Post
    Fair enough to want to know, but the point remains that as it is so chopped up and processed that without a definitive answer from Manson himself, anything you end with is only ever going to be your's or someone else's interpretation of it. So, in the end, you still end up doing what he wants, in a way.
    Isn't that what most of the stuff in this section of the forum consists of anyway? Interpretations? Analysis? Evidence & Analysis? I don't understand why you picked this particular thread to say this in or why you'd say it now.

It's one of the more interesting questions because Manson has mentioned it, stated it's there, but never said what was said or where exactly. We have the song to listen to and try to sort through what is being said. Far more interesting than most of what gets posted in here.
    Last edited by Atom; 04-18-2013 at 09:16 PM.

Original AIDS provider.

The point is, kleiner started the topic asking about some lyrics which Manson himself has stated he didn't publish because he wanted people to interpret them themselves. After I pointed that out, he said he didn't care about how Manson wanted him to hear it, he was interested in what was actually said, and I said that as no-one except Manson (and presumably Skold) knows that, you can't really figure it out without getting it from them, so all you do is end up with a guess anyway. I'm aware that that's what this part of the forum is for, I didn't say it wasn't allowed, I was merely pointing out that there was no definitive answer, which is what he seemed to be asking for. I don't see what's so hard to grasp about that.