Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Golden Age Of Grotesque - 10th Anniversary

Administrator
    "Captain Aids"
    Follow Norsefire On Twitter Visit Norsefire's Instagram Channel

Default The Golden Age Of Grotesque - 10th Anniversary

THE GOLDEN AGE OF GROTESQUE - 05.13.13
    10TH ANNIVERSARY

"This album is about expression. The imagination and personality of the individual cannot be trapped by small minds or defined by any one person. The genius of art finds sanctuary among children and madmen to survive. That, is who we are." - MM

Today marks the 10th anniversary of Marilyn Manson's The Golden Age Of Grotesque, inspired by the glamour of 1930's Hollywood, the grotesque of Vaudeville and degenerate art in Weimar Berlin.

View The Golden Age Of Grotesque archives available at Provider Module:

THE GOLDEN AGE OF GROTESQUE ALBUM
    http://bit.ly/YQFioE

THE GOLDEN AGE OF GROTESQUE VIDEOS
    http://bit.ly/ZUzGoS

THE GOLDEN AGE OF GROTESQUE INTERVIEWS
    http://bit.ly/13U3oO5

THE GOLDEN AGE OF GROTESQUE GALLERY
    http://bit.ly/12tXG47

THE GOLDEN AGE OF GROTESQUE JOURNAL
    http://bit.ly/13sQ1VX

Administrator
    "Captain Aids"
    Follow Norsefire On Twitter Visit Norsefire's Instagram Channel

Seeing as it's the 10th Anniversary for TGAOG I thought it would be cool to have a thread for it.

This is the album that came out and got my attention and made me a Marilyn Manson fan. Although before this I had never really heard of Marilyn Manson, I'm sure I would have been a fan if I was aware of the past albums. But this album remains one of my favourites, probably my second favourite after Holy Wood.
    I actually didn't even get this album until around mid June after seeing Manson do some TV shows in the UK, mOBSCENE was catchy as fuck and I liked the music, the video, the single artwork, it was all good stuff. It made me want to check out the whole album, and I just got addicted to it!
    Also apart from the music, the artwork created with Gottfried Helnwein was fantastic.

Also something that isn't really a music video, but I enjoy the short video The Mechanism of Desire that was released as an intro to the TGAOG. I wasn't around to see it when it was first released, but it's something I enjoy watching now and again.

Now I'm off to listen to the album :D

Visions of Massacre VisionsofMassacre's Avatar

Damn, you beat me to it Norsefire ! The GAOG era officially began my obsession (some would probably classify it as "unhealthy" with Marilyn Manson; the band, the man, the music, the look, everything. I was eight years old when I first discovered Marilyn Manson on my brothers iTunes, he had "The Fight Song" and "mOBSCENE". Quickly, those two songs shared something with McDonalds to me, over 99 billion listens. I then saw a commercial for "Headbangers Ball", that featured Manson, to promote his new album, with mOBSCENE playing over it. The next time my family went to Bangor (nearest place towards me that sells unedited music), we went into Best Buy, where there it was. I begged my parents to buy it for me, which my mother refused to (die-hard Christian). My father however, told her it was just music, and let me get it. I listened to it non-stop, quickly learning every single lyric, and since then I have owned every album, and have learned all of his words, and can play most Manson songs on guitar, bass, and my main instrument drums. Long story, I know, but thought it was worth sharing. In May of 2003 is when Marilyn Manson became my idol, they became MY band, my niche in life. While other kids were listening to the Now compilations, I was listening to songs like Slutgarden. Since then, GAOG has become one of my least favorite Manson albums, but anytime I listen to any of the songs off of it, I feel such a rush as I think back to the first time listening to his words. To me, it's like riding a bike without training wheels, or losing your virginity. You never forget your first time.
    "Light a candle for the sinners, set the world on fire."

Spawning Forth The Snake spaceSuicide's Avatar
    Follow spaceSuicide On Twitter Add spaceSuicide on Facebook Follow spaceSuicide on Tumblr

Cool beans.

10th anniversary for an album that gets unnecessary hate.
    I use words sharp as a sword

Follow Iulian On Twitter Add Iulian on Facebook Follow Iulian on Tumblr Visit Iulian's Instagram Channel

Wow, I was listening today to the album on my mp3 player, while I was out and now I read this! Itīs when I found out about Marilyn Manson, too, I only knew Tainted Love before this, but never heard anything else from before.

I still think itīs his best produced album, his most intelligent (I know itīs not grammatically correct) lyrics, maybe not his best guitar riffs, but still.

Administrator
    IN gOD WE TRUST
    Follow Cringeon On Twitter Add Cringeon on Facebook Visit Cringeon's Instagram Channel

Added a new GAOG show to the AUDIO section of our Theatre.

08/16/2003 • Cumberland County Civic Center • PORTLAND, ME

Man, it was 10 years ago that this piece of shit came out? Seems like it was longer ago.

Wow, how 10 years has flown by! This was such another exciting album, especially after the HOLY WOOD album and tour. Remember that first week when this album hit #1 on the charts?

I went to about 6 shows during the Grotesk Burlesk tour. Probably the last of the tours for Marilyn Manson to really put on a "show". The imagery to this album is probably still my favorite. This album is still a lot of fun, always makes me want to throw on a tie and some suspenders.

I am another yourself. Dronepool's Avatar

Great album. Yay for 10 years!

"This album is about expression. The imagination and personality of the individual cannot be trapped by small minds or defined by any one person. The genius of art finds sanctuary among children and madmen to survive. That, is who we are." - MM

Boom/^ I couldn't have said it better myself:

As Manson might've noticed, I usually get GAOG items signed with things he's said during that era. I remember asking if he'd do this for me, explaining that it was going to be the albums 10th year anniversary, and my tenth year of seeing him in concert and just feeling amazing when he did without any hesitance.

(Thank you, thank you, thank you.)

This era means so much to me as it was one that I got to witness via internet/t.v/media coverage from the beginning. I missed out on prior tours, making the Grotesk Burlesk my first Manson concert, adding to why I hold The GAOG so dear. Aside from that, I just loved him acknowledging that the album wasn't perfect, but that it wasn't intended to be. It was about doing what he felt he needed to [with Manson on song writing credits for a number of tracks on the album], and being unashamed. One of my favorite GAOG quotes was actually given in a Vice interview earlier this year: THE MORE GROTESQUE SOMETHING IS, THE LESS IT HAS TO HIDE, THE MORE OPEN IT IS.
    I'm glad to see subtle nods from that era ten years ago, still present today.