Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Line Between The New Shit and The Old Shit

Married to Suedehead Shangri-LIE's Avatar
    Follow Shangri-LIE On Twitter

First I'd like to just say that if it weren't for Trent Reznor, ACS would have sucked based on what I heard from the demo's. They were flimsy, sonically cheesy and Scott's departure was for the best. The Band Marilyn Manson has always been a revolving door and although I prefer bands that stick together, Manson would have been dead in the water a long time ago if he wouldn't have kept changing the lineup. I don't think there is any era more relevant than the other just because I believe that all music is timeless and it is whatever it means to you. He may not be the poster boy for fear/All American Anti-Christ that he once was...or was perceived to be rather...but he has managed to stay way above par in an industry that keeps lowering the bar and sinking into a shit hole. Even with some of the records that are regarded as weak compared to others among the community, they still exceed the amount of passion put into them than any other mainstream rock band does to this day. On top of that, he still wants to improve and experiment with different concepts and approaches to production and styles of song writing. He wants to continue evolving as an artist and making each new record unique even if he isn't as popular as he used to be.

As for Twiggy, he is definitely a staple, but I am critical of his live guitar playing. I can deal with that though. Other than that, Jason and Fred are burning down the house every show by adding an extra heaviness to some of the songs that needed that needed it and improvising brilliantly. The new Keyboardist seems to be pulling it off exceptionally well also. Even when it comes to Manson's tomfoolery on stage, it's putting on a show. I used to also be critical about that but have changed my opinion on it. He's not just standing there singing verbatim over and over the same songs every night and just going through the motions. He's making the shows entertaining. He's having fun again doing what he does again.

With that said. I don't like the "Old stuff vs. New Stuff" position. Everything an artist creates always remains a part of them even if they've outgrown it, no longer feel that way, or just wanted to go in a different direction. It is all relevant and it just depends on what you relate to that matters.
    Last edited by Shangri-LIE; 06-22-2013 at 06:26 PM.

2. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

I think it's when Twiggy left.

eat-me-drink-me marilynmansonsmysoulmate's Avatar
    Follow marilynmansonsmysoulmate On Twitter

Between Holy wood/GAOG
    Met Manson and Twiggy with Golden Ticket 10/25/12 and Twins Of Evil concert! Saw Manson live my birthday in 2013. Met Twiggy again and Laney dotd 2/9/2014

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

I think Manson's career has always gone in cycles, depending on what it is he has to say, and to what audience he wishes to appeal. Certainly with the passing of time and increased exposure, different albums are going to have different impacts, but with each new record, we see another layer added. There's perhaps more in common with Antichrist Superstar and Holy Wood, - for example, or EAT ME, DRINK ME and The High End Of Low, say, but then again everything felt new, different, and unconnected with The Golden Age Of Grotesque, and Born Villain, so the line is never static.
    "the Serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which
    the LORD god had made
    "

m e m e n t o m o r i . p o s t m o r t e m

6. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Shangs View Post
    First I'd like to just say that if it weren't for Trent Reznor, ACS would have sucked based on what I heard from the demo's. They were flimsy, sonically cheesy and Scott's departure was for the best. The Band Marilyn Manson has always been a revolving door and although I prefer bands that stick together, Manson would have been dead in the water a long time ago if he wouldn't have kept changing the lineup. I don't think there is any era more relevant than the other just because I believe that all music is timeless and it is whatever it means to you. He may not be the poster boy for fear/All American Anti-Christ that he once was...or was perceived to be rather...but he has managed to stay way above par in an industry that keeps lowering the bar and sinking into a shit hole. Even with some of the records that are regarded as weak compared to others among the community, they still exceed the amount of passion put into them than any other mainstream rock band does to this day. On top of that, he still wants to improve and experiment with different concepts and approaches to production and styles of song writing. He wants to continue evolving as an artist and making each new record unique even if he isn't as popular as he used to be.
    I would divide it into thirds, with Antichrist Superstar being the last of the old era. Antichrist Superstar is an okay album, but I feel Trent Reznor's influence is overstated; further, I don't think the album is the magnum opus that it's portrayed to be. However, I still think in some way the album sounds like Downward Spiral lite where Reznor's influence is most obvious. Scott didn't have much input on Antichrist Superstar to begin with. Sure, listening to the demos, one can hear a few more of his overdubbed guitar parts on songs that would eventually be reworked without him, but that's it. I got the impression that aside from "Smells Like Children," there aren't many songs of his, just more of his playing on the demo tracks that Twiggy composed, which is a shame because Scott's songs on Antichrist Superstar are the best songs on the album. I think "Man That You Fear" is the best song the band ever did. It represents the ultimate collabrative effort of the band. I don't know if Marilyn Manson would've been "dead in the water" without a revolving line-up. If anything, his fanbase started to really shrink after the release of Holywood. Constantly changing and constantly changing members isn't really a good thing. It waters down the essence of the band and makes them seem less artistic and more about the money, in my opinion. When Marilyn Manson can no longer grift ideas out of the members of his band, he simply gets hires another to acheive a "satisfactory" performance. It makes the whole thing seem more commercial and about industry and money. There's no heart or unity. If Marilyn Manson is evolving, he's [r]evolving into the toilet.

8. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

I guess for me Old Manson is GAOG and earlier, as that's when every album was contained within its own distinct and clearly defined "era", whereas since then he's just been putting out records.

10. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post
    Administrator
    IN gOD WE TRUST
    Follow Cringeon On Twitter Add Cringeon on Facebook Visit Cringeon's Instagram Channel

I grew up thinking of MM as a band, but the only album cycle that kept the same recording line up as the one previous was between THEOL and BV (with the inclusion of Fred Sablan). MM has always worked with the right people for what he's doing, and I think the last tour proved that he can have a killer live band that is just as strong as Marilyn Manson has ever been. We are now on the line between old and new.

12. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

New Shit is after Manson stopped being scary. 'Nuff said.
    "Even smiling makes my face ache."

When did Manson stop being scary? I hear many say he's most scary now...

I personally feel that Twiggy can sometimes be under rated by the rock n roll community. The guy is capable of writing good songs, and has prove this since. Also Twiggy had the respect for Marilyn Manson by dropping his stage name while he exited the band. The best thing that happened to the band was the departure of Daisy. I'm sorry but the guy isn't great, and he made Lunchbox sound like shit live.

Now to the subject I think the "New Shit" isn't meant to be a divider of the OG fans and the new comers. It just simply stands for this is what we are doing now. The band is always evolving, and pushing their limits.

16. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post