Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: At what age does goth stop being cool?

Married to Suedehead Shangri-LIE's Avatar
    Follow Shangri-LIE On Twitter

Default At what age does goth stop being cool?

There is a difference between eccentricity, and being "goth". This doesn't pertain to any stage attire you might wear if you are in a band, or if you decide to dress a certain way for a concert by an artist, (not limited to MM), where ridiculous costumes are the norm. I will admit that I hold a double standard for men. I don't care if a woman is gothic because gothic women are hot and I am perfectly fine for that. I am talking about grown men who wear spike collars on a daily basis who paint their faces up, wear dumb ass pendants, bracelets with platform boots. Again, there are occasions when that is acceptable. I am referring to people who wake up every day and try to look like spooky misfits that no one understands because they are so different. At what age should we start punching grown men for dressing this way, for not wanting a good job or an education, or just jump start their brain that stalled out at 14 years of age? When does it become ridiculous?

Muddy Knees

Was it really ever cool?

Looking "goth" should never be acceptable for any age, at any time. Niche fads are an embarrassingly pointless construct derived from an overbearing corporate infrastructure with too much time on its hands. It's nothing more than some superficial product/image that the fat cats cashed in on for impressionable youth to eat up. "Goth" merely represents another vapid, overpriced, signification of the ridiculous culture we live among.

But hey, to each their own.

3. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Administrator
    IN gOD WE TRUST
    Follow Cringeon On Twitter Add Cringeon on Facebook Visit Cringeon's Instagram Channel

It's always ridiculous, but I suppose that's why some people do it. I think I stopped by 16 or so. I still wear primarily black, but nothing considered goth.

I don't know if there's an specific age for that, it all depends of your own maturity and your approach on life.

One of the disadvantages of being part of any sub-culture as a teenager is that all what's outside of it is rejected; thus it took me a lot of effort to like genres and styles of music beyond grawl voices, repetitive guitar riffs and sampled drums; in retrospective I feel I lose a few years of my life stuck in a single musical style, thinking I was a "music-know-it-all".

And... altough I disagree 100% with Terrapin's post, I guess there's a moment in which you can't believe anymore all the "ideals" -whatever those are- the goth culture stands for. I was never a fully goth person, but I stopped wearing black nail polish when I was 21 or 22.

After the year 1999

The concept of "cool" kind of just dissipates after awhile. So much random shit is "cool" for such a minute amount of time the idea becomes a bit silly.

Adults can dress goth or wear Renaissance clothes or whatever they want, who cares.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugwump View Post

Adults can dress goth or wear Renaissance clothes or whatever they want, who cares.
    Pretty much my feelings on the subject. If they're not hurting anyone or themselves and it makes them happy, who really cares anyways?
    my sig is gone !!

Married to Suedehead Shangri-LIE's Avatar
    Follow Shangri-LIE On Twitter

It hurts their credibility. It hurts people to look at. It gets them turned down for jobs. It means that they haven't matured. It means that they will probably end up with either no partner in life or a very low quality one. For instance, if I wanted to wear an adult diaper as a pair of swimming trunks, I can't do that because I am a grown up. I'd be arrested or asked to leave. Also, it's not about cos play. It's about literally thinking that you are some sort of vampire, mystic, or whatever other type of retarded wizard you think you are. "Look how different I am". "I am deep and sensitive so I cut myself and wear fake blood on clothes so people can see how extreme I am". Grow up.

Hrm, there is a difference between wearing those costumes either in your personal life and at a job. If it's at a job, I agree they should wear more appropriate clothing. but if it's after they're done and some guy wants to put on makeup and a spike collar and walk around, no one is asking you to look at them.
    my sig is gone !!