Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: At what age does goth stop being cool?

Follow crazybitch On Twitter Follow crazybitch on Tumblr Visit crazybitch's Instagram Channel

I feel that Goth is more of an attitude than a fashion. Goth is not really a fad, nor was it meant to be. A bunch of teens wearing eyeliner is a repulsive misrepresentation of Goth. I just call that Emo because it's more of a fad and Hot Topic thing, lol. I think Goths typically don't have to call themselves Goth, they just are. We like being dark, depressed, and hate authority.

It's the opposite of showing off, in fact it's more of a turning within. That's all I can think of at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by crazybitch View Post
    I feel that Goth is more of an attitude than a fashion. Goth is not really a fad, nor was it meant to be. A bunch of teens wearing eyeliner is a repulsive misrepresentation of Goth. I just call that Emo because it's more of a fad and Hot Topic thing, lol. I think Goths typically don't have to call themselves Goth, they just are. We like being dark, depressed, and hate authority.

It's the opposite of showing off, in fact it's more of a turning within. That's all I can think of at the moment.
    I'm not part of a cliche subculture, only those other guys are.
         

and with just one faint glance back into the sea
    the mollusk lingers with its wandering eye
      
      

I'm rather astonished to see so many people saying, essentially, "It's just a phase," just like (I would imagine) several of us were told growing up.

In my opinion, the way someone thinks or chooses to dress is purely up to the individual. I never thought goth was about being "cool". Goth seems to be the antithesis of cool, which was a lot of the appeal it had for me growing up. I still label myself goth, when I resort to labeling.
    Last edited by stagesofcoma; 06-29-2013 at 11:35 PM.
    No one is exempt from the odds of even

Quote Originally Posted by stagesofcoma View Post
    I'm rather astonished to see so many people saying, essentially, "It's just a phase," just like (I would imagine) several of us were told growing up.
    I don't know how old you are (I'm almost reaching the third floor), but as I've been growing up and learning more about life, I realized that all that teenage angst we all experience is nothing more than bullshit in many cases, you have no idea how many times I've caught myself saying "my parents were right about this and that" recently.

I think it depends on who you are, some people can pull of a "goth" or subdued gothic look for as long as they damn well please and others wind up looking the fool past the age of 20 or so. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by Mexicanfiend View Post
    I don't know how old you are (I'm almost reaching the third floor), but as I've been growing up and learning more about life, I realized that all that teenage angst we all experience is nothing more than bullshit in many cases, you have no idea how many times I've caught myself saying "my parents were right about this and that" recently.
    I've found my parents right about many things over the years as well, just not that. I'm 31. Perhaps I had a different set of grievances as a teen than most. Many are still the same, really. I still rally against censorship, still believe the system is broken, still rebel against oppression, etc. In many ways, I'm still an angsty teen- I just don't do anything about it, to speak of, anymore.
    No one is exempt from the odds of even

I am another yourself. Dronepool's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mugwump View Post
    The concept of "cool" kind of just dissipates after awhile. So much random shit is "cool" for such a minute amount of time the idea becomes a bit silly.

Adults can dress goth or wear Renaissance clothes or whatever they want, who cares.
    This.

If somebody likes dressing a certain way, there's nothing wrong with it.

Follow crazybitch On Twitter Follow crazybitch on Tumblr Visit crazybitch's Instagram Channel

Quote Originally Posted by MixMastahTee View Post
    I'm not part of a cliche subculture, only those other guys are.
    Well good for you. :P

Well I will give a serious reply on the topic even though you never know with half the threads here haha! As Tater said, some people can just pull of an 'extreme' look no matter the age and it works well for them, and then other people just look like fools. I'm not sure what factors exactly set the fools apart from the others, it comes down to the person I suppose.

I think the more creative people in the world are the ones that can pull almost anything off for a number of reasons. They're going to have an eye for aesthetics and if they're going for a more 'gothic' look as in the case of this thread, they're probably going to do it well as opposed to wearing the most unflattering clothes for their figure just because that's what you're supposed to wear and having poorly applied god awful makeup. I'm sure we've all seen plenty of people like that that look ridiculous. And yes beauty is in the eye of the beholder but you can usually see when someone knows what they're doing with their look (even if you don't like that persons style) and someone that hasn't really got a clue what they're doing. Of course being an interesting person under all the artifice obviously also helps, a lot. How you craft your appearance is really just another form of art in my opinion, and some people are naturally going to be better at it than others. Some people don't really care about it at all or don't put much thought into it.

What does admittedly annoy me though is when a person (often in their mid 20s/early 30s) suddenly 'grows up' and loses all sense of style and starts dressing in the most boring bland crap they can find. And they think everyone else who doesn't suddenly decide to dress like them is deluding themselves and clinging to their youth, or they haven't matured. But then I think those people were probably the fad followers in their teen years that never developed their own sense of style in the first place so it's just natural progression - now I'm a grown up with responsibilities and shit so I'd better dress how I think a grown up should.

I also understand that's just my hang up because as I mentioned already some people genuinely just don't give a toss about clothes at all, or they're not the creative types, they'll just wear whatever their friends/peers are wearing without putting much thought into it. And there's nothing wrong with that necessarily, it just bothers me because I like looking at interesting, attractive things ;P But just because you don't put any stock into your own clothes doesn't mean others don't and it doesn't mean it's not a valid form of art/expression, whatever you want to call it just because you don't care. I'm sure I don't give a shit about half of the stuff you like to do either. However yes I do know exactly the type of people that some posters here are probably thinking of, and yes they do make me chuckle. Like people that actually think they're vampires or something. Bless. But I would classify them as the fad followers that haven't got a clue what they're doing or why they're really doing it, but they're not harming anyone so leave them to it.
    Last edited by Crazy_Baby; 07-01-2013 at 08:13 AM.

Married to Suedehead Shangri-LIE's Avatar
    Follow Shangri-LIE On Twitter