Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PLEASE READ!!! What Mechanical Animals is based on (and partially Holy Wood)

Follow kalim123 On Twitter Follow kalim123 on Tumblr

Default PLEASE READ!!! What Mechanical Animals is based on (and partially Holy Wood)

I was browsing through videos and I found this old Industrial hip-hop band and I viewed their video:

And I was like "OMG MANSON YOU COPYCAT". Has he ever even mentioned this band??? At least credit them.
    1. The title sounds familiar
    2. the cross TV
    3. Drugs
    4 The new god thing
    4. The font reminded me of the font in the Mechanical animals CD booklet
    5. and the pills
    6. There's also a bit where a guy is laying on the hospital bed and his face is on the TV. Dope Show anyone??
    7. There's a part where the guy holds a gun up then a flag....... Holy Wood
    8. DISPOSABLE heroes of hiphoprisy. Also Holy Wood
    I can't believe I just found this
    Your thoughts??

2. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

That scene in which he is sit on a coach with pills on his hands reminded me of Morpheus on Matrix. I give you credit, this thing looks a lot to many of MM's work.

My world is unaffected... Unpretty Unsafe's Avatar
    Add Unpretty Unsafe on Facebook

Some similarities, but the cross TVs he got from Alejandro Jodorowsky. I have The Holy Mountain on DVD, and in one of the extras, there's a cross made out of TVs. And Jodorowsky mentions Manson really liking that, and then using it during the MA era. I think he even asked permission, not 100% sure on that. But since they're friends, Jodorowsky doesn't seem all that pissed by it lol. He seemed rather flattered.

5. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

He may have seen this years before MA and not thought about it again, later coming up with something akin to it without even realizing from where the idea was originally spawned, or he may have never even seen this. There's something very... source, about MA. I was actually singing the chorus to "Coma White" before the album even came out. I had no lyrics for it, but the tune was essentially the same. I believe Marilyn was tapping into a universal consciousness with Mechanical Animals.
    No one is exempt from the odds of even

Maybe they both got their inspiration from the same sources, but there's too many similarities in this for it to be a coincidence.
    Last edited by kalim123; 07-04-2013 at 08:01 AM.

That's really strange. I'm sure a couple of years back I had this exact same idea about a spy movie with a dude and his female assistant or something like that, and then a month later this Anne Hathaway film came out with the exact same plot, just how I saw it in my head. It was weird. There was more to the plot if you get what I mean.

Just because someone searching (after the fact) for an obscure connection forces the pieces to (tenuously) fit, that doesn't make it his reality. If he'd read all the books, watched all the movies & videos, and listened to all the music that people believe might have influenced his work, he wouldn't have time for much else. JMO

Quote Originally Posted by AssetReign View Post
    Just because someone searching (after the fact) for an obscure connection forces the pieces to (tenuously) fit, that doesn't make it his reality. If he'd read all the books, watched all the movies & videos, and listened to all the music that people believe might have influenced his work, he wouldn't have time for much else. JMO
    Are you trying to say I was searching for a connection....... I just stumbled upon this......... honestly.

Visit kleiner352's Youtube Channel

To be fair, and Manson's the first guy to tell you this, almost everything he makes is taken from other things or heavily inspired by them.
    Kleiner352 liked this post

EvilDead, in all of his glory:

It's a complicated issue. Sometimes people lift things on purpose or are directly inspired by something, sometimes they acknowledge it and sometimes they just outright steal, sometimes people are unconsciously influenced by something and have no direct memory of it, and sometimes two people really do just get a similar idea or tap into the same thing. Everything influences everything else. Manson borrows a lot but I doubt this video was a main source of ideas for him, really. That being said, I do think he's at least somewhat familiar with Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy, considering they did the background music for William S. Burroughs' spoken word album Spare Ass Annie. Burroughs is one of Manson's all-time heroes and it's a reasonable assumption that he has that album. But yeah, the whole "TV is a drug/god" thing has been used by tons and tons of artists, especially around that time.