Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Underrated's Understated

Administrator
    IN gOD WE TRUST
    Follow Cringeon On Twitter Add Cringeon on Facebook Visit Cringeon's Instagram Channel

Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    IDon't see why you feel the need to argue with me on this non-issue just because you missed a word.
    You're right, back on topic!

Diary of a Dope Fiend: I think this version of the song trumps the Portrait version in every way. I remember in an interview where MM talked about some songs make you learn to sing differently, and out of the gates of Smells Like Children you are hit with something that grew out of Portrait into a darker and more fierce identity. It also feels a lot like the seeds for songs like Kinderfeld and Man that You Fear are planted here, with the slow brooding swing. It's a song that feels "charmed" or dangerous just by atmosphere. For me sets the scene for what became the dark side of Marilyn Manson more so than the vibe of Portrait.

2. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Married to Suedehead Shangri-LIE's Avatar
    Follow Shangri-LIE On Twitter

I'd definitely have to say "The Beautiful People".
    OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

Quote Originally Posted by Cringeon View Post
    Diary of a Dope Fiend: I think this version of the song trumps the Portrait version in every way. I remember in an interview where MM talked about some songs make you learn to sing differently, and out of the gates of Smells Like Children you are hit with something that grew out of Portrait into a darker and more fierce identity. It also feels a lot like the seeds for songs like Kinderfeld and Man that You Fear are planted here, with the slow brooding swing. It's a song that feels "charmed" or dangerous just by atmosphere. For me sets the scene for what became the dark side of Marilyn Manson more so than the vibe of Portrait.
    I love that version too. I also love the original just as much.

"I'm a strip, strip, strip, and I flicker, flick, flick, flick
    A flicker of celluloid and there's holes, holes, holes
    In my everything"

Most underrated from Born Villain: Flowers of Evil

I'm continually surprised NOT to see this song mentioned or talked about. I think it's the best one from Born Villain, and it's definitely one of my MM favorites. I feel like it's the climax of all the flower/plant symbolism that's so prominent on Born Villain, and it works perfectly following The Gardener. I think it's really the peak (or lowest valley) of the album, the way I have to look up just to see hell is for THEOL.

I agree with the pick of Born Again, I've always really liked that one, as well as Deformography. I think I'd throw in Mister Superstar too. On ACS, it seems like it's the first point when this process that MM (in the album) has started, has begun to take on a force of its own and get away from him.

I agree with IWTKYLTDITM as well, I think it works perfectly as a really long song. All the film 'puns' really tie it all together and give it more of a theme than it would have had, had it been just about being angry with an ex.

I am another yourself. Dronepool's Avatar

*Deformography is one of my favorite songs on ACSS.

Choklit Factory
    Down In The Park
    Deformography
    Mister Superstar
    The Suck For Your Solution
    Diamonds & Pollen
    The KKK Took My Baby Away
    EAT ME, DRINK ME
    I Want to Kill You Like They Do In The Movies.

Add 0m3ga on Facebook Follow 0m3ga on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Ceratina View Post
    Most underrated from Born Villain: Flowers of Evil

I'm continually surprised NOT to see this song mentioned or talked about. I think it's the best one from Born Villain, and it's definitely one of my MM favorites. I feel like it's the climax of all the flower/plant symbolism that's so prominent on Born Villain, and it works perfectly following The Gardener. I think it's really the peak (or lowest valley) of the album, the way I have to look up just to see hell is for THEOL.

I agree with the pick of Born Again, I've always really liked that one, as well as Deformography. I think I'd throw in Mister Superstar too. On ACS, it seems like it's the first point when this process that MM (in the album) has started, has begun to take on a force of its own and get away from him.

I agree with IWTKYLTDITM as well, I think it works perfectly as a really long song. All the film 'puns' really tie it all together and give it more of a theme than it would have had, had it been just about being angry with an ex.
    The Flowers of Evil is very catchy. However I do not feel it met it's full potential. The backing scream in the final chorus is fucking intense and should have been the vocals for all of the choruses, with an even rasper howlier scream for the final chorus. The instruments could have been heavier and his vocal delivery in the verses could have been more controlled.
    all
    my
    stitches
    itch

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

I'd venture the notion that YouTube video viewing figures are never going to be a sound indicator of quality, and is very often a medium people use solely to seek out the 'hits'. I understand that's not necessarily the point you were raising, but it's worth adding to the discussion.

Songs people feel are underrated will by nature often be subjective, but there's easily a few I think are hard to negate in terms of their songwriting or clout. Snake Eyes And Sissies is a good contender from Portrait, it's got all the same drugged out menace of the record's lead singles and artwork, but is discussed far less than others. It might even be my favourite song on the first album, it's definitely the one I listen to the most. Making the transition from Portrait to Children, there's similar thoughts expressed already, but Kiddie Grinder is possibly superior to Organ Grinder. The trouble is, I heard Children before Portrait, so the more aggressive, beat-orientated version was the one I heard first, and it stuck.

On Antichrist Superstar, I think 1996 is a stand-out track that gets less attention than it should, if only for Manson's apocalyptic "Anti-people, now you've gone too far. Here's your Antichrist Superstar". That line always sound amazing. I think with Antichrist, they managed to get the formula right for so many bombastic, world-killing songs, that you're almost spoilt for choice. In between The Beautiful People, Angel With The Scabbed Wings, the title track, or The Reflecting God, it's like, fuck, how much more apocalypse can we fit on here?!

It's very difficult for me to select individual tracks from Mechanical Animals that are 'underrated', because I rate the whole thing more highly than anything else, but if I had to pick one for argument's sake, maybe I Want To Disappear. It's actually the songs that sort-of 'bridge' the gap between Antichrist and Animals that I think require more attention, as they're perfect as blending the journey; Long Hard Road Out Of Hell, Apple Of Sodom, and I guess The Suck For Your Solution, even if it's not a favourite.

Just about all of Holy Wood is underrated in one way or another, there's such complexity and violence underneath the music and the reasons it was made, you could spend years trying to unravel it all. For the sake of specifics though, GodEatGod, Cruci-Fiction In Space, The Fall Of Adam and without-shadow-of-the-valley-of-death-of-a-fucking-doubt, preceding B-Side, Diamonds & Pollen.

Underrated tracks on The Golden Age Of Grotesque? I'd say Spade, Ka-Boom Ka-Boom, The Better Of Two Evils, and Obsequy (The Death Of Art). Perhaps Baboon Rape Party as well, it always felt like part of the album to me.

I don't know if EAT ME, DRINK ME as an overall entity is so much underrated as... mis-rated? I still think the jury's out on this one, it's an odd little album, and definitely a sort-of hidden gem of Manson's. Actual songs that are known within the wider fanbase, though? Probably The Red Carpet Grave, You And Me And The Devil Makes 3, and of course, the title track. That said, like my recent assessment of The High End Of Low, it seems a lot more people are warming to that one of late, so who knows, maybe there's some growth there. It's a fantastic track.

The High End Of Low? All of it. Perhaps not Unkillable Monster, I'm not fond of the song, but everything else on this record, yes.

It might be a bit early to say what with Born Villain being the most recent record. I'll still declare my love for Children Of Cain though, any excuse. Actually, I'll do an opposite thing here and say that No Reflection is actually brushed off too quickly as a 'Manson' single. I like that song a lot, the ending is quite depressing, and it was a really sound little opening to the album. Very fond of the video also.

There we are.
    "the Serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which
    the LORD god had made
    "

m e m e n t o m o r i . p o s t m o r t e m

I for one love Unkillable Monster and could never quite comprehend the backlash - especially surrounding the lyrics "I'm a tightrope walker , I can't find my circus... Etc,etc." which I always assumed was a direct reference to the Chaplin film 'Circus'.

I love so many songs from HEoL, but that song in particular seems terribly underrated.

Add 0m3ga on Facebook Follow 0m3ga on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Over neath Man View Post
    I for one love Unkillable Monster and could never quite comprehend the backlash - especially surrounding the lyrics "I'm a tightrope walker , I can't find my circus... Etc,etc." which I always assumed was a direct reference to the Chaplin film 'Circus'.

I love so many songs from HEoL, but that song in particular seems terribly underrated.
    I agree, it's really good, but it's sappy as hell and I can understand why people wouldn't like it.
    all
    my
    stitches
    itch

Good question. Let's see:

Wrapped in plastic: so dark, so deliberately provocative and perfect for a visual companion... My favourite song from the debut album; a song that will always haunt me for not having a single/video release.

Minute of decay: Manson at one of his most fragile states. Long before love reached us with Eat Me, Drink Me or The High End Of Low, Minute of decay is a great proof that Manson can approach the subject of love and despair in awesome ways.

Disassociative: If I ever decide to commit suicide with an overdose, or if I ever travel to space; this song will be on either music lists for said events, period.

In the shadow of the valley of death: another vulnerable moment, the most honest expression of how Manson felt during that time of his life. And playing it on the guitar is a hell of a chick magnet, as well (especially if girls don't know who's song is it).

Doll-dagga-buzz-buzz-ziggety-zag: One of my problems with Golden Age is that the whole concept revolves around an historic era, but the only song that truly captures said times' sonic aura is this one. I can dance to it non-stop, because I'm not dead.

Evidence: another song that will always make me feel frustrated, because I think it would have been a great single and video. Just picture some scenes from "Heart-Shaped glasses" to the rythm of Evidence... is it just me, or they order themselves better with said song in your minds?

Devour: It is one of those songs I'd like to play at a gigantic concert, while my ex lovers are watching astonished in the front row as I tear the whole stage apart. That kind of vibe can't go wasted, but the band did.

Born Villain: the only song I truly like from the last album, I'd like to conduce an experiment in which soldiers listen to it before they held a surprise attack at night.

Plus, some b-sides have great potential, but passed unnoticed outside the hardcore fanbase: The suck for your solution, the live version of apple of sodom, Rock & roll nigger's cover...

Quote Originally Posted by Over neath Man View Post

The first time I listened to it, I thought I found my new Coma White. I like that song, but it feels like in the middle of it, when they're about to reach the top, it just falls down and crumbles beyond any explanation. Could have been a much better song. Plus, the quality of the lyrics didn't help that much, either; but I agree: underrated song, indeed.
    Last edited by Mexicanfiend; 07-11-2013 at 07:21 PM.