Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The High End Of Low · Visual Parallels

Default The High End Of Low · Visual Parallels

Here's an older one that I came across: (just to get things started here)

Bauhaus - Bela Lugosi's Dead performance in The Hunger

From THEOL booklet

And someone else (forgot who, sorry) pointed out this (THEOL traycard) which is also similar to the Bauhaus performance:

2. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

I seem to remember reading a Manson quote where he noted Bauhaus as a big influence of his...

Interesting find!
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

Original AIDS provider.

Yeah, in LHROOH, he mentions how they were a big influence on him, but Daniel Ash verbally attacked him when they met. The pictures are very similar though, and almost surely linked.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren
    And someone else (forgot who, sorry) pointed out this (THEOL traycard) which is also similar to the Bauhaus performance:
    That was me! *being attention whore*

And I also thought there was a visual reference to the Holy Wood booklet because in the picture with Twiggy there is also this metal cage thing. And I thought this was fitting because Manson said with THEOL they continued where they left off with HW since Twiggy´s departure.

6. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Quote Originally Posted by lunch
    I also thought there was a visual reference to the Holy Wood booklet because in the picture with Twiggy there is also this metal cage thing. And I thought this was fitting because Manson said with THEOL they continued where they left off with HW since Twiggy´s departure.
    There is an image that features the whole band in front of the cage:-

And as noted on The Heirophant, this might be significant:-

"the Serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which
    the LORD god had made
    "

m e m e n t o m o r i . p o s t m o r t e m

@ the video of Disturbed - Land of Confusion Are Also Swastikas replaced by $-Symbols, Like In AGDMFG video.
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvx1z_ ... sion_music

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

This is a cute sort of observation. Manson and his lady both caught in the filmstrip:-

the LORD god had made
    "

Follow absinthe bunny On Twitter

Not an influence, but I was in a bookstore yesterday and it had this book with the title: "$ELLEBRITY" which reminded me of manson's ($) sign and the whole thing about the fascism of money:

NEW WEBSITE LAYOUT UPLOADED 22/09/2013:

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

I've been curious about this particular comparison, it seems appropriate in a lot of different ways, both visually and culturally. It's best put in imagery, because it has the most similarities there, but I'll contextualise as well. This year Eminem debuted what was regarded as his 'comeback' album, Relapse, the second single from which was 3 A.M., a song that deals directly with the schizophrenic thought process of a serial killer. Now, besides the obvious relation to Manson's name, and the ethos of the artist, it might bear some similarity to the comments Manson made about his house resembling that of a serial killer in interviews with Kerrang! Magazine recently...

In the lyrics for 3 A.M., Eminem (or more likely his alter ego, Slim Shady), uses dialogue from The Silence of the Lambs as basis for his confessions, which correlates directly with I Want To Kill You Like They Do In The Movies, in the sense of making the link between violence and entertainment --- ("I'm taking credit for the death toll"). He ad libs the lines spoken by Buffalo Bill during the film; "She puts the lotion in the basket, she puts the lotion on the skin, or else it gets the hose again".

Now, the most interesting links to be made here, by far, are the stark similarities between the video for the song and a good deal of the Marilyn Manson imagery to accompany The High End of Low. Here are some examples, both comparisons and studies:-

Leave a scar...? This may also look familiar in relation to the 'Stigmata' images from Lest We Forget.

I don't even really need to explain this one, but here is the image nonetheless.

"A big bottle of big big pills"

Doppelherz?

God is in the TV... The Televisual image is wonderfully close to some of the recent (and indeed, past) Manson aesthetic.

They're from America... I needn't labour the point of how these bear similarity to one another, but note of course the blood dripping down the walls (EAT ME, DRINK ME), the potential 'murder' victim in Manson's image, and The Dope Show-esque mannequin.

Also, from -< me >-'s scans, observe the same clock in the bedroom:-

This final image is one of the most striking:-

And how it generally relates to The High End Of Low aesthetic. I'm leaving the rest to discussion, as it seems better that people respond to these ideas as they are presented, I don't want to say too much.
    the LORD god had made
    "

12. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Spawning Forth The Snake spaceSuicide's Avatar
    Follow spaceSuicide On Twitter Add spaceSuicide on Facebook Follow spaceSuicide on Tumblr

S.D., you never cease to amaze me with your connections and comparisons to Manson and other artists.

Well done, I enjoyed reading that.
    I use words sharp as a sword