Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The High End Of Low · Visual Parallels

Married to Suedehead Shangri-LIE's Avatar
    Follow Shangri-LIE On Twitter

"The Better of Two Evils"

"God is dead, but God is still white" - "Put on your black face and your God is gone".

OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

This photo of Manson always reminded me of The Lovers by René Magritte.

Last edited by Mary; 03-19-2010 at 06:22 AM.

Administrator
    "Captain Aids"
    Follow Norsefire On Twitter Visit Norsefire's Instagram Channel

^ That is pretty awesome. Great post!

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Mary View Post
    Thank you for posting this, I am glad you did, I think it's a really nice comparison. Can you tell us anything more about the painting? I think I've seen it in a few books over the years, but I've never read any information on it at all. The theme of suffocation seemed to be prevalent throughout The High End Of Low, both images remind me of having your breathing restricted.
    Also, some people mused that the cover image for Armageddon, released in full form (Image .018 HERE) shows Manson with the shadow of a gallows behind him. For some executions it was custom to place a blindfold or white shawl similar to those in the painting over the head of the person being hung or beheaded, both pictures put me in mind of this. Obviously hanging is death by strangulation also.

Thank you also Favenris for the Purple Rain parallel, grand stuff. I remember when EAT ME, DRINK ME came out, someone also pointed out that Manson's heart eyes are really similar to Human League album artwork, I think it was the insert for a best of collection, so if anyone remembers that, or it was theirs, please repost, I thought it might be here somewhere but I couldn't find it in any threads.

Also, I have been racking my brains since The High End Of Low was released, trying to work out what the picture of Manson and Twiggy together reminded me of. It's just an angling thing, no big crazy theory or anything like that, but today I worked out what it was:-

The first image is from circa 1994, Pogo and Manson collecting an award at some function or other. I expect it's simply the general height difference and positions they're in for both pictures, but I'm at least glad it isn't annoying me anymore. Obviously there are plenty of other pictures of Manson where he is stood at this angle, I imagine the fact he has a similar expression and because it hadn't been since around the time of the first image that Manson had grown out his eyebrows they look alike. Strange how these curiosities crop up.
    There is another that's lurking in this topic somewhere, two similar poses divided by the years: http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/p...alysis/3-1.jpg
    "the Serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which
    the LORD god had made
    "

m e m e n t o m o r i . p o s t m o r t e m

5. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Administrator
    "Captain Aids"

Nice find with that theol/pogo pic comparison.

That blue theol pic has always reminded me of another Manson photo, when I first saw the booklet I thought the manson half of the photo seemed familiar to another photo, but I have never come across whatever the photo is that makes the theol photo familiar.

Quote Originally Posted by S.D. View Post
    Thank you for posting this, I am glad you did, I think it's a really nice comparison. Can you tell us anything more about the painting? I think I've seen it in a few books over the years, but I've never read any information on it at all. The theme of suffocation seemed to be prevalent throughout The High End Of Low, both images remind me of having your breathing restricted.
    The artist often wanted to leave the interpretation of his work up to the viewer, so there's no proper explanation for it. The idea I have about it, which seems to be the most popular is the one of 'Blind Love'. Even though they are engaging in a kiss, The Lovers appear mysterious underneath the white cloth limiting their sense of identity to one another, meaning that behind the feeling of love, the identity of your lover may forever remain a mystery.
    An influence that could coincide with the idea of suffocation as you said was the suicide of Rene's mother, (who wrapped her white nightdress over her head), which could represent the white cloth in this painting, again possibly coinciding with the idea of mysteriousness, a suffocation of identity?
    All this being said, I wasn't able to see it connecting to Manson's work other than being a coincidental visual parallel, but I thought I'd post it anyway. :/

Quote Originally Posted by S.D. View Post
    Seems a bit fucking obvious when you think about it...

Nice find! It's nice to know Manson also takes inspiration from himself.

8. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

The idea I have about it, which seems to be the most popular is the one of 'Blind Love'. Even though they are engaging in a kiss, The Lovers appear mysterious underneath the white cloth limiting their sense of identity to one another, meaning that behind the feeling of love, the identity of your lover may forever remain a mystery.
    An influence that could coincide with the idea of suffocation as you said was the suicide of Rene's mother, (who wrapped her white nightdress over her head), which could represent the white cloth in this painting, again possibly coinciding with the idea of mysteriousness, a suffocation of identity?
    I think you could definitely associate this idea with Manson's themes, even if the comparison is a personal one - "Every time I kill you, I'm really just killing myself" - Identity and trust also, were mentioned during THEOL, he did an interview with The Guardian and said the following:-
    What keeps you awake at night?
    The fear that someone next to me is judging me while I'm sleeping.
    That puts me in mind of what you said about not knowing the true identity of a lover, unless they are your "twin", of course.
    I'm still really intrigued by this veil motif in The High End Of Low, as yet I have seen no consolidated theory behind it, so all suggestions are interesting to me. I like the fact that it was used for the Running To The Edge Of The World video as well, in the topic analysing that video here, I said it looked similar to the wedding veil in the Sweet Dreams video. I get the feeling it's one we'll be left speculating on though, it adds to the atmosphere of THEOL. I personally think it's supposed to evoke the idea of a religious veil, I remember when images for the record started surfacing, I saw parallel in these two pictures:-

The Bible uses the veil as metaphor for a curtain - like the Running video, Manson seems almost to be confessing to the camera behind a veil, like a confession booth (seen in the Personal Jesus video) - sometimes of knowledge. I think this was derived from the Temple curtains being ripped apart, perhaps symbolising the sanctity of internal places, Manson mentioned not leaving the house for months during THEOL's creation. The conclusion I'd be most inclined towards would be Christ's white shroud in the tomb - "We built this tomb together".

Thank you also for sharing Frau Dietrich, I have seen your submissions at Babalon, but nice also for users here to experience them.
    the LORD god had made
    "

from this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMOTO...JyI&playnext=1

this snippet from a bowie tour (which one?) reminded me strongly of high end of low tour for obvious reasons. what the photo doesn't make clear is a guy constantly adjusting the onstage light on bowie, similar to mm.

11. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Administrator
    "Captain Aids"

^ wow now that is some cool stuff, thanks for sharing.

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

That's excellent Tim, thank you for this. The tour that video is from is Diamond Dogs . There is a section covering The Rape Of The World at The Nachtkabarett that compares Manson wearing boxing attire in 2007 with Bowie in a similar outfit from that tour, though nothing has been written yet about the Diamond Dogs tour in relation to The High End Of Low.
    The boxing gloves Bowie wore were also red leather effect, like the ones Manson has in Mary's Visual Parallel:-

The use of the clapper-board and the lighting fixtures in the pictures you have there are almost identical to Manson's, thank you again for the screens.
    the LORD god had made
    "

14. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post