Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: EAT ME, DRINK ME ∑ Visual Parallels

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Default EAT ME, DRINK ME ∑ Visual Parallels

Being that there were quite a number of these comparisons made in the past, I am going to place all that I have noted in here again, so that there are plenty of things for people to go over, and for those that may have missed them the first time around.

I shall try to keep it as ordered as possible, and not spread across too many posts. I won't deposit them all at once, just a few at a time, so people have the opportunity to read them.

Click images for full view:-

Marilyn Manson in London for The Golden Age of Grotesque launch party, 2003, and Marilyn Monroe, unknown rooftop, circa 1955-60

Close-up on the lips of "Alice" as seen during intertitle sequences of N?co z Alenky [1988], the film adaptation of Alice's Adventures In Wonderland by Jan Švankmajer, and Evan Rachel Wood's lips in close-up, as seen in the EAT ME, DRINK ME booklet artwork.

Manson as Clyde? Though taken in 2003, Manson is seen with the single sunglass lens, similar to the damaged sunglasses worn by Clyde Barrow (Warren Beatty) in the 1967 film Bonnie and Clyde.

I think that during The Rape of the World tour, Manson deliberately evoked imagery from Hitchcock's Psycho onstage. An unfamiliar and to my knowledge unrepeated stage gesture on this tour was Manson outstretching one hand, with his fingers parted, which can be compared with Marion's attempt to save herself during the film:-

And then in a reverse role, he is the killer, rather than the victim:-

Note the outstretched hand once again, and then the act of being at the window, much like the cover for EAT ME, DRINK ME. The use of blood in both cases is perhaps related also.

"the Serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which
    the LORD god had made
    "

m e m e n t o m o r i . p o s t m o r t e m

2. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Administrator
    "Captain Aids"
    Follow Norsefire On Twitter Visit Norsefire's Instagram Channel

I think I have some of mine that I posted saved somewhere, I will repost when I find them.

^Very nice images, thanks for those.

This is a well known one but I'm not sure it's been posted here yet, Gary Numan's Replicas cover bears obvious similarities to the Eat Me, Drink Me cover:

i am REALLY frustrated because i have been searching for DAYS for the manson picture that goes with this screenshot i took;

i was watching the Cars video on youtube, and i saw him pose like that and it reminded me of the one manson picture....im pretty sure it was in a recent magazine, it looked like something from eat me drink me but it was shown after. i hope someone knows what im talking about and has the picture :/ if i remember right his skin looks very white, it has a blue thing going on : O
    my sig is gone !!

Administrator
    "Captain Aids"

I was watching Scissor Hands today, this scene reminded me of the EMDM cover.

Administrator
    "Captain Aids"

This is a painting, but I am putting it here,

I noticed this painting the other day, the eye has a red spiral over it. The painting was done years before EAT ME, DRINK ME, but I thought it was a great find, also notice how the red spiral is over the same eye as the Mad Love cover and the spiral heart over Mansons eye on the back of the Heart-Shaped Glasses single.

"Untitled (The Grey Series)"

8. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Spawning Forth The Snake spaceSuicide's Avatar
    Follow spaceSuicide On Twitter Add spaceSuicide on Facebook Follow spaceSuicide on Tumblr

Not really a parallel to another artist but to himself, seems he likes to stand behind and hold torsos...

I use words sharp as a sword

I'm surprised nobody has noticed this yet.

^ That's Purple Rain's booklet, an album that influenced Manson while recording Eat Me, Drink Me.

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

While I am fully aware the Blade Runner/Adam Ant/Annie Lennox black-strip eye makeup influence has been brought up and theorised on many occasions (and indeed, Blade Runner alone as a significant inspiration for various areas of Manson's work), there was something I wanted to share that helps elaborate on it slightly.

It was yet another topic covered aplenty at The Heirophant, but it was noted that the EAT ME, DRINK ME incarnation of Manson's site featured Audrey Hepburn's quote as Holly Golightly in Breakfast At Tiffany's - "How do I look" - also written on the banner above Les Fleurs Du Mals on the same page. The audio may be from the aforementioned film, but the quote isn't limited to it. During Blade Runner, as Pris wakes J.F Sebastian after preparing her black eye-strip in his apartment, she too asks him "How do I look?", at which point the light catches her retinas (which are mechanical, as she is a Replicant) and they shine bright red, a feature attributed to other Replicants.
    Even within the confines of the film, it could be suggested that rather than an enquiry about her image, Pris was in fact curious about the specifics of how she is able to see, asking Sebastian because he builds robots for the Corporation.

As demonstrated below, not only did Manson have the familiar black strip across the eyes on his Art page, but one of the eyes is the same illuminated red circle, which are seen on the flowers also.

The thematic implications should be obvious, but this puts me in mind of Omega's red eyes in Mechanical Animals. I think it's something borrowed for The Terminator also, the latter arguably capitalising on the image of a red-eye, but Blade Runner perhaps utilising it more expertly in terms of discussing the notion of machines as "human". As first stated, there has been a variety of suggestions made regarding the film's influence on Manson, that's nothing revelatory, but this particular observation is new to me.

Also, incidental entirely, but observe how the MM streaks down Manson's cheeks on the Art page...

"The Mouth Marks, bled down my eyes"
    "the Serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which
    the LORD god had made
    "

m e m e n t o m o r i . p o s t m o r t e m

12. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Administrator
    "Captain Aids"

This is something I noticed around the time EMDM was released but it is either something rarely talked about or something that was overlooked by most. We all know the Heart-Shaped Glasses and Lolita connections, but if you look in the EAT ME, DRINK ME booklet, behind the lyrics for Heart-Shaped Glasses is a photo of probably Evan in Heart-Shaped Glasses and although it isn't a direct copy it is quite like the photograph used on the Lolita poster.

Here is a comparison of the images.

14. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post