Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Golden Age Of Grotesque Visual Parallels

Spawning Forth The Snake spaceSuicide's Avatar
    Follow spaceSuicide On Twitter Add spaceSuicide on Facebook Follow spaceSuicide on Tumblr

is it just me or are these REALLY similar?

Both are blurry with vibrant hues.

I use words sharp as a sword

2. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

I have not seen this posted before but I think that there is a striking similarity between the work of Fluxus artist Robert Watts and the outfits worn by the Siamese twins in the Mobscene video. The Fluxus movement was about anti-art, and so I feel that the appropriation of Watts’ work might have been intended.

I do apologise on the size of the comparison image, I have spent hours looking for a better one. As soon as I locate a better image, I’ll put it up.

Silent Catalyst

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but this Dali painting (which I unfortunately don't know the name of):

Seems to me to bear a striking resemblance to Phantasmagoria's Tweedledum and Tweedledee. Especially that image of them pulling up their dresses just like in the painting (does anyone have that image, I couldn't find it?)

5. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Anima XI View Post
    Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but this Dali painting (which I unfortunately don't know the name of): http://unrealitymag.com/wp-content/u...llusions_3.jpg

Seems to me to bear a striking resemblance to Phantasmagoria's Tweedledum and Tweedledee. Especially that image of them pulling up their dresses just like in the painting (does anyone have that image, I couldn't find it?)
    The painting is called Soldier Take Warning, Procrastinator posted this once before in relation to the Doppelherz twins, who look fairly similar, and I made a visual of the Tweedles also, but honestly, it was a long time ago so I understand it not being something people immediately remember. Here are the posts:-

Dali. 1
    Dali. 2

Also, here's something fun, I just posted this to Rudy Coby's Facebook, seems it was Nikki Terminator lying in the back of Manson's room during The High End Of Low:-

"the Serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which
    the LORD god had made
    "

m e m e n t o m o r i . p o s t m o r t e m

7. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Administrator
    "Captain Aids"
    Follow Norsefire On Twitter Visit Norsefire's Instagram Channel

^ I saw that, I think it's great. Nice find/connection with that.

Found a couple of fashion designers who have incorporated Manson-esque Mouse ear caps into their collections.

These Comme Des Garcons ones look very similar to Mansons, I wonder if they were designed by him?

=

These are a little different as they're placed on army helmuts, but I thought I'd share them anyway. (Designed by Jeremy Scott)

10. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

^The first two looks like the ear caps were painted on with MS paint.

Add Procrastinator on Facebook Visit Procrastinator's Instagram Channel

In addition to Mary's last post:

^ I accidentaly found this image while looking at pictures of Madonna. And yes, I like her.

Dali painting:

Manson photo:

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

There is a Washington-based theatre awards ceremony named after the American actress Helen Hayes. Hayes was known as 'The First Lady Of American Theatre' due to her tenure on the boards from childhood throughout the rest of her adult life.
    Amongst a long and varied career both on screen and on stage (acting since age ten or so) , she apparently appeared in a production called The Golden Age in 1919 - see Helen Hayes: The Character's Actor - and would later work with Sidney Toler in a play he wrote called The Golden Days.

The awards ceremony in her name was established in 1983, which is twenty years before Marilyn Manson released The Golden Age Of Grotesque, and ten years before Hayes' death in 1993.
    This is the awards seal, which features on the physical award itself, and which I feel is comparable to the 'MM' logo Manson created for the aforementioned album:-

They're quite similar, no? Yes, of course I know about the Sigsrune, NON, and entertainment influences for the MM logo, but this was something I stumbled on and thought it made for another interesting comparison. Considering this woman was alive and active during nearly every decade of the twentieth century prior to the millennium, which is the transitional period The Golden Age Of Grotesque very much observed, it's not infeasible to think Manson may have at least been aware of her presence, or the awards logo when compiling his album.
    "the Serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which
    the LORD god had made
    "

m e m e n t o m o r i . p o s t m o r t e m

15. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post