Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Golden Age Of Grotesque Visual Parallels

Administrator
    "Captain Aids"
    Follow Norsefire On Twitter Visit Norsefire's Instagram Channel

Great find S.D.!

The similarities in the logo's are great!

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Annie Lennox (who I shouldn't need to introduce), and Marilyn Manson during The Golden Age Of Grotesque. The Lennox photograph is from a series of images taken for her version of Bob Marley's Waiting In Vain, part of the covers album Medusa [1995]. I'd recommend watching the song's music video as well, Manson's favourite location of the domestic space is used heavily, along with visual elements such as a birdcage and multiple 'versions' of Lennox (remember Manson's polarised white/black mouse portraits).

Interesting that Lennox's use of Mickey Mouse ears was the same year as Manson successfully covered Sweet Dreams, also. If you wanted to over-analyse, there's also the fact that Lennox is a white female, and Marley was a black male, seguing well into Manson's name and use of blackface in the Grotesque photographs.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wax Gentleman View Post
    This probably wasn't deliberate, but as soon as I saw this David Bowie picture (I don't know where the original photo is, or even if there is on): http://www.terminartors.com/files/ar...ie_Starman.jpgI thought of this: http://b.vimeocdn.com/ts/369/065/369065242_640.jpg
    It would be neat if that were the inspiration, but the painting of Bowie is composite, in the original photographs featuring his 'astral portal' makeup, there's no halo behind him.
    It's based on this:-

"the Serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which
    the LORD god had made
    "

m e m e n t o m o r i . p o s t m o r t e m

3. Like 3 Member(s) liked this post

Possibly his most dangerous album given the timescale upon it's release, one that many dismiss as being too poppy or mainstream but that was the whole point of it!

This is actually a Masonic Knights Templar cap. I was given one when I joined the order. They're quite cool!

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

John Lydon being chauffeured around during This Is Not A Love Song reminds me of Manson's arrival in the car during This Is The New Shit. I suppose both songs starting with a declaration of This Is... reflects nicely as well.

"the Serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which
    the LORD god had made
    "

m e m e n t o m o r i . p o s t m o r t e m

Add Procrastinator on Facebook Visit Procrastinator's Instagram Channel

Fearing a chemical attack from the Germans the United States government distributed over 40 million gas masks to men, women, and children during WWII.

However, since adult masks were too heavy and frightening for children to wear, Disney helped to create a mask for kids that looked like his popular cartoon character Mickey Mouse.

Seen as there is a child and Mickey Mouse ears in the GOAOG promo photography, I thought it would've been kinda cool if Manson somehow incorporated this gas mask into it if it weren't for the copyright issues. There was several different designs for these masks and they look pretty creepy on a child also...

8. Like 5 Member(s) liked this post
    Visit cataract777's Youtube Channel

^ Would have been creepy and very cool for imagery indeed! Cool find.

10. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    A Mental Revolution Nemoris Inferioris's Avatar
    Follow Nemoris Inferioris On Twitter Add Nemoris Inferioris on Facebook Visit Nemoris Inferioris's Youtube Channel

Definite;y seems like something Helnwein would do, since he has used many Disney characters in his paintings/ photography.
    Memento Mori
    You Pays Your Money, You Takes Your Choice.
    619208 919 4514
    -The Divine Trickster-
    I Was Invited To Eat The Young
    It's A Poor Sort Of Memory That Only Works Backwards.

12. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post