Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Visual Parallels [various]

Silent Catalyst

Quote Originally Posted by S.D.
    I'm glad someone picked up on those links, I wanted to write something up on the connection with Pretty As A Swastika, but I'm glad someone got there. I presume the Cabaret poster you've tried to link is this one:-

IMG
    Yes, that's the one, guess my link got messed up. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hate Sells
    I noticed the swastika thing right away, but never really bothered to say anything...it's cool that you noticed the Goon Moon/LWF parrallels as well, Anima XI. :) BTW, I really like your username...it's interesting. Does it have anything to do with Carl Jung's theory of archetypes...?
    Thanks =) Yes, Jung's archetype theory was part of the influence. "Anima I" and "Anima II" are also the titles of two Sopor Aeternus songs. And I chose XI (11) because it's a special number to me.

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

I want to try and get these older comparisons out of the way so I can move on to other things. If anyone was active in posting 'Visual Parallels' at The Heirophant, please repost whatever you offered here, I cannot remember every one of them, and it would be good to have them all in one place. From the (s)AINT video:-

Man Ray's Restored Venus:-

http://www.arcvertuel.org/?q=node/285

I am aware that the rope arrangement used in (s)AINT is part of a sexual practice, but I felt the comparison was worth making anyway.

Marilyn Manson and Nosferatu

Marilyn Manson's painting When I Get Old, and Aleister Crowley.

"the Serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which
    the LORD god had made
    "

m e m e n t o m o r i . p o s t m o r t e m

3. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Und im Tode träumen wir Komakino's Avatar

I agree with most in this thread, but "Marilyn Manson and Nosferatu" is really farfetched in my opinion.

Stupid Teenage Girl

^ You really think so...? For some reason, I had thought it had something to do with Rose... :\

Stupid Teenage Girl

Oh...I see that now. I never really noticed that before...nice find. :) I thought you were comparing the two girls to Twiggy and Ginger, based on the color of their hair, lol...I feel stupid now.

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Komakino
    I agree with most in this thread, but "Marilyn Manson and Nosferatu" is really farfetched in my opinion.
    Of course these things don't have to be implicit, but I would have thought that a story about a Vampire who seduces a young woman would draw rather specific comparison with the man who penned If I Was Your Vampire. Consider that part of the Dracula/Nosferatu myth is the concealing of a monsterous nature under the guise of being a mortal man.
    Also, in my image comparison, both figures are seen standing at the window, which in film theory, is often a portent of some domestic disturbance, or oppression. Also, the notion of the eyes being the "windows to the soul" suggests that with the imagery of the hearts and eyes during EAT ME, DRINK ME, the Vampire views the soul of the victim as it stops the heart. Also, the Vampire, in its more erotic incarnations, is a peculiar mixture of male and female sexualities, being that the portrayal of sexual prowess is their physical seduction, but the actual domination is the drawing of fluid from areas of the body; the almost phallic neck gendering the act as female, thus presenting the Vampire as having both male and female attributes. I think the blood and internalisation of childbirth is present as well, in that the act of turning a person into a Vampire is life coming from death, with sexual intercourse having been called the "little death" by various sources.

Marilyn Manson and Lady Gaga:-

Thank you to Nick Sixx. for locating these images, I believe he has some more comparisons with Lady Gaga to offer, which I look forward to.

I might make this known in The High End Of Low thread as well, but whilst watching Cabaret this morning, I noted an imagery comparison that wasn't necessarily utilised during The Golden Age of Grotesque, during which the film was most obviously referenced (click for thumbnails):-

You'll note the use of the reversed bowler hat as a military helmet by EmCee and the girls, and their panties and suspenders, in black, much thse same as the white version worn by the mysterious girl in the We're From America image.
    the LORD god had made
    "

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm30 ... e3c8c6.jpg

These are more pictures I thought looked similar, rather than suggesting there is any real connection between them.

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

As covered in various topics, Leni Riefenstahl is "as pretty as a swastika":-

Leni Riefenstahl vs. Marilyn Manson --- "Lietz, Kamera, Aktion!" --- On the subject of which... No, I don't necessarily think it is deliberate, yes, I do think it is cool as fuck:-

Quote Originally Posted by Procrastinator
    http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/photos/uncategorized/2007/06/27/dali_soldier_warning.jpg

Soldier Take Warning by Salvador Dali

http://i4.ytimg.com/vi/OUOSelKCz1M/hqdefault.jpg

Doppelherz

http://www.nachtkabarett.com/ihvh/img/n ... amese2.jpg

mOBSCENE
    "We know it's all braille beneath the skirt"

From Manson's MySpace pictures, the first thing that came to mind... Obviously the album that featured Personal Jesus...

Noting a visual parallel between an image used in a current Nachtkaberett article and another of Manson, I was inspired to write this: "THE APE WAS A GREAT BIG HIT"

M and M --- I AM YOU

the LORD god had made
    "

10. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Default Re: Visual Parallels

Great find S.D.!
    Edit- oo never seen that clockwor orange pic of Eminem I like it
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd59/Bevz91/AA4.jpg

Silent Catalyst

Default Re: Visual Parallels

Might it be possible that this logo for the band The Crüxshadows -

- was partly inspired by the Celebritarian Cross? There's also duality in the logo, hence making it more of a possibility that it might've been Manson-inspired. However, I have never heard them publicly mention him as an influence.