Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Visual Parallels [various]

Add arkahno on Facebook Follow arkahno on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by callesnegras View Post
    What about this one guys?
    I'm suprised no one has posted it before!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    I posted that in babalon

Quote Originally Posted by The Empirical Guy View Post
    Epic first post... epic lurker as well!
    Thanks man!
    Last edited by callesnegras; 09-03-2012 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by arkahno View Post
    I posted that in babalon
    Opps!

Didn't know

I love this thread! It's interesting that Manson basically didn't invent anything of the visuals he's using, he is re-inventing things. A but like a collage or a patchwork. I had a discussion with someone about this a few years back and that person got really mad at me for saying that Manson wasn't inventive. No artist can be totally original, you are always influenced by previous works, musically and visually.

There is another visual parallel that no one has taken up yet, maybe it's too obvious. I am convinced that Manson's use of a contact-lense is a homage to David Bowie.
    Je suis un cimetiére abhorré de la lune

Administrator
    "Captain Aids"
    Follow Norsefire On Twitter Visit Norsefire's Instagram Channel

Well not everything is to say MM took it from something else, it is possible for people just come up with the same ideas.

I've seen examples of logo's that are identical but the designers were in different countries and had different influences etc but still arrived at exactly the same logo. It was amazing stuff, some had the same icons and typeface and that's crazy!

So there's probably a good mix of stuff Manson has been influenced by and created his own versions and also stuff he doesn't even know about, yet others can see similarities in.

I always find it interesting as well to see other people who may have been inspired by Marilyn Manson.

Quote Originally Posted by Norsefire View Post
    Well not everything is to say MM took it from something else, it is possible for people just come up with the same ideas.

I've seen examples of logo's that are identical but the designers were in different countries and had different influences etc but still arrived at exactly the same logo. It was amazing stuff, some had the same icons and typeface and that's crazy!

So there's probably a good mix of stuff Manson has been influenced by and created his own versions and also stuff he doesn't even know about, yet others can see similarities in.

I always find it interesting as well to see other people who may have been inspired by Marilyn Manson.
    There is no way that an artist can make art without referring to other art. You are either against or for the art before you. There is basically no way that you can start from scratch. It happens in every art-genre, from literature to music.

I didn't put any judgement in my observation. I think it's great to see where Manson (and other artists) gets his inspiration from. And yes, he has borrowed a lot of things from Bauhaus and David Bowie's visual images. I think what he did with it is awesome. You can merge things, you can change things, you can give things another meaning. But you have still taken these things from somewhere in the first place. Marilyn Manson is really good at being inspired by other people's art and works and putting his own spin on it.

By the way, I don't doubt that people can come up with the same things in totally different places of the world. Coincidence. This sounded like you wanted to defend Manson so I got a bit confused here. lol. You didn't want to say that Manson has come up with things and that it's a coincidence that it fits with other people's work, right? I agree with you, Manson probably didn't mean half of the things we are interpreting and finding. Which is actually quite cool because it gives different meanings than he had intended. One person once said that an artist's work isn't in the hands of the artist anymore the moment someone else is looking at it, reading it, listening to it.

I wish Manson would inspire other artists than Lady Gaga and Rhianna :P
    Je suis un cimetiére abhorré de la lune

Administrator
    "Captain Aids"
    Follow Norsefire On Twitter Visit Norsefire's Instagram Channel

I wasn't defending Manson I was just more replying to what you said about this thread showing that Manson didn't invent anything of his own visuals. Because while it's clear where Manson got ideas for some stuff in the comparisons posted, other bits posted are sometimes just wacky/fun and most likely nothing to do with how Manson got his ideas.
    So my reply was directed to that, I think it's a mixed thread and doesn't always mean each posted comparison means MM knew about it before he did his thing.

I agree with your post above.

Follow kalim123 On Twitter Follow kalim123 on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by MissZombilicious View Post

I wish Manson would inspire other artists than Lady Gaga and Rhianna :P
    In what way did he inspire Rihanna?

^ "Disturbia" video.

Original AIDS provider.

^ Are you sure it wasn't the "Running To The Edge Of The World" video?

Too soon?
    My avatar looks like a mix of NIN, My Chemical Romance, and Chris Vrenna