Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Long Hard Road Out Of Hell

Has anyone heard mention of a PhD candidate using Marilyn Manson as the suject of their theses? I haven't but wouldn't it be a great idea. I vaguely remember a girl who wrote a theses on Alice Cooper after traveling with the band during the 70's ? (I'm sure it was Alices rock-n-roll drunk period...) I think it was chronicled in Rolling Stone. -Yep, another sideways thought....
    "Even smiling makes my face ache."

2. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    I am another yourself. Dronepool's Avatar

I read it in like 2002, I liked it but don't really *enjoy* reading books that much so I have no reason to reread it whole and unless a book is about a certain thing of interest or some kind non-novel book, I'd check it out but in general I dislike reading novels.

NewYorkRipperQUACK MisanthroPope's Avatar
    Add MisanthroPope on Facebook

Bought the hardcover back in the day and read it in half a day or so. I lent it to a girl I had a boner for and never seen it again. I bought it in paperback a year or two back and it was still a good read. Very amusing and interesting stuff.

I'm gonna read that Holywood Novel first chance I fucking get.

I love that book. I bought it in 2004 and I've read it like 6 times. I find it funny yet somehow honest about himself (not so much about other people, like "Alyssa", the girl from the "Meating the fans" chanpter who's interviewed on the "Demistifying the Devil" docummetary), as well as a text in which some behavior and ethics for my own life's appliance were took.

Quote Originally Posted by Alterkaker66 View Post
    Has anyone heard mention of a PhD candidate using Marilyn Manson as the suject of their theses? I haven't but wouldn't it be a great idea. I vaguely remember a girl who wrote a theses on Alice Cooper after traveling with the band during the 70's ? (I'm sure it was Alices rock-n-roll drunk period...) I think it was chronicled in Rolling Stone. -Yep, another sideways thought....
    I did it in college, is the topic that actually made me somewhat popular during the 'Phant days. I still have all those studies and papers somewhere...

I always found it interesting that with all of his supposed intellect and writing ability, he chose to have a ghost writer (Neil Strauss- writer of Motley Crue's and Jenna Jameson's biographies) pen his autobiography. Manson is PAID to write songs and was a journalist...it kind of feels like a let down when you find out that Manson didn't actually write the finnished product himself. It takes away from the intimacy that's supposed to come from an autobigraphy. I know that the use of a ghost writer isn't anything new or even strange in the world of autobiographies, but it kind of is in this case given the subject and his talents.

Quote Originally Posted by Mexicanfiend View Post
    I love that book. I bought it in 2004 and I've read it like 6 times. I find it funny yet somehow honest about himself (not so much about other people, like "Alyssa", the girl from the "Meating the fans" chanpter who's interviewed on the "Demistifying the Devil" docummetary), as well as a text in which some behavior and ethics for my own life's appliance were took.

I did it in college, is the topic that actually made me somewhat popular during the 'Phant days. I still have all those studies and papers somewhere...
    Very cool. There are so many angles that you can take. If you can post any of it without having to type your fingers down to bleeding stumps I'd like to read it. I came back to being a fan during the last tour, so for me it's a lot of "that makes perfect sense now, since he was working with, or using, or screwing, or fascinated with x y or z at the time". 20/20 fans pov hind sight.
    "Even smiling makes my face ache."

Quote Originally Posted by DIETOMORROW View Post
    I always found it interesting that with all of his supposed intellect and writing ability, he chose to have a ghost writer (Neil Strauss- writer of Motley Crue's and Jenna Jameson's biographies) pen his autobiography. Manson is PAID to write songs and was a journalist...it kind of feels like a let down when you find out that Manson didn't actually write the finnished product himself. It takes away from the intimacy that's supposed to come from an autobigraphy. I know that the use of a ghost writer isn't anything new or even strange in the world of autobiographies, but it kind of is in this case given the subject and his talents.
    yeah..

he was probably too busy though
    to write it all on his own
    thats what i would assume

"I'm a strip, strip, strip, and I flicker, flick, flick, flick
    A flicker of celluloid and there's holes, holes, holes
    In my everything"

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Quote Originally Posted by DIETOMORROW View Post
    I always found it interesting that with all of his supposed intellect and writing ability, he chose to have a ghost writer (Neil Strauss- writer of Motley Crue's and Jenna Jameson's biographies) pen his autobiography. Manson is PAID to write songs and was a journalist...it kind of feels like a let down when you find out that Manson didn't actually write the finnished product himself.
    I think you're possibly misinterpreting the term 'Ghost Writer' (in relation to Manson's book, at least).

Much as I'm a fan of Mötley Crüe and otherwise indifferent to Jenna Jameson, it's a foregone conclusion that neither party are literate enough to write a structured biography alone. You can even tell that specific sections of The Dirt are just recorded speech edited onto the page, unless Tommy Lee actually sits and writes words like "Dude" and "Whoah" when penning a sentence. Actually that wouldn't surprise me, but still, they didn't sit and write it themselves. In that context, Strauss would have been hired to give coherence more heavily.

We know Manson is a little more gifted with the pen, so I'd imagine that for the first-time author of an autobiography, at a relatively young age and reflecting the media furore that surrounded Manson at the time, Strauss was simply required to make sure the book would hit all the right notes after reading Manson's transcript.
    I mean, a Marilyn Manson album says "Marilyn Manson" on the cover, but we know he doesn't play every instrument, take every photograph, typeset every word and coordinate where every item is laid out on the page, so it's the same principle. The Long Hard Road Out Of Hell is every bit Manson's word, you can tell comparing how it reads with everything else he's written, but to ensure it "set the world on fire", Strauss was likely consulted on how to generate the biggest impact.
    "the Serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which
    the LORD god had made
    "

m e m e n t o m o r i . p o s t m o r t e m

Quote Originally Posted by S.D. View Post
    I think you're possibly misinterpreting the term 'Ghost Writer' (in relation to Manson's book, at least).

Much as I'm a fan of Mötley Crüe and otherwise indifferent to Jenna Jameson, it's a foregone conclusion that neither party are literate enough to write a structured biography alone. You can even tell that specific sections of The Dirt are just recorded speech edited onto the page, unless Tommy Lee actually sits and writes words like "Dude" and "Whoah" when penning a sentence. Actually that wouldn't surprise me, but still, they didn't sit and write it themselves. In that context, Strauss would have been hired to give coherence more heavily.

We know Manson is a little more gifted with the pen, so I'd imagine that for the first-time author of an autobiography, at a relatively young age and reflecting the media furore that surrounded Manson at the time, Strauss was simply required to make sure the book would hit all the right notes after reading Manson's transcript.
    I mean, a Marilyn Manson album says "Marilyn Manson" on the cover, but we know he doesn't play every instrument, take every photograph, typeset every word and coordinate where every item is laid out on the page, so it's the same principle. The Long Hard Road Out Of Hell is every bit Manson's word, you can tell comparing how it reads with everything else he's written, but to ensure it "set the world on fire", Strauss was likely consulted on how to generate the biggest impact.

Here's an interesting interview Neil Strauss did for the 15th anniversary of Antichrist Superstar where he talks about the creation of the book.

http://blogs.browardpalmbeach.com/co...il_strauss.php

What I took from it is Neil Strauss wrote the book and Manson fed him lines and metaphores he wanted included. It seems like he would have long talks with Manson, where he would tell his stories and give him ideas and Strauss would then organize everything into a narrative.

As far as having Manson's name on the cover of an album but not having Manson create the whole thing, remember, Marilyn Manson is also a band (although one could argue against that point now) so having Manson's name on the cover doesn't explicity suggest the MAN created the album. So it's a bit different.

Obviously Manson is more than capable of writing a book himself (but then again...maybe not...we've yet to read this Holy Wood novel) I'm thinking Manson was young, on tour, busy throwing raw meat on groupies and coked out of his mind. We would have never gotten an autobiography if left soley in the hands of Manson himself.

It would be interesting to have him sit down and write A Longer Road Out of Hell all by his lonesome. A lot has happened in the almost 15 years since it's release.

p.s. Strauss is cool a dude. I met him a few years back and asked him if he still talks to the band. He said Manson not so much but he's still good friends with Twiggy.