Nav_image
Nav_image NEWS TOUR BIOGRAPHIES DISCOGRAPHY VIDEOGRAPHY GALLERY INTERVIEWS Nav_image
Nav_image JOURNAL ESSAYS TIMELINE FORUM THEATRE SITE INFO Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Talking Dead Features Marilyn Manson

I'm a half hour in and i don't see anything wrong with it at all... I don't see the host as a dick or Manson as any different than normal...

As a huge Manson fan, I was embarrassed watching him. Long gone is the articulate and intelligent man that used to blow peoples minds with his thoughts, the one the converted non fans and people that might not get him into people that could at least respect him.

I used to think his inability to create the greatness of his past works was just a way to simplify things, now I realize his brain is fried from drugs and booze.

I honestly didn't think it was that bad, and I'm fairly critical of Manson's on-stage antics these days. His points were mostly on target and he tried to offer some interesting food for thought. Based on peoples' reactions I expected him to be talking to himself the entire time.

That said, to those saying that Manson has always been best in one on one interviews, I'd point out that he has done group interviews in the past that were much more articulate and "on point" than this one. For instance, his appearance on Phil Donahue's show or Politically Incorrect in the band's earlier days.

Quote Originally Posted by NightChameleons View Post
    I honestly didn't think it was that bad, and I'm fairly critical of Manson's on-stage antics these days. His points were mostly on target and he tried to offer some interesting food for thought. Based on peoples' reactions I expected him to be talking to himself the entire time.

That said, to those saying that Manson has always been best in one on one interviews, I'd point out that he has done group interviews in the past that were much more articulate and "on point" than this one. For instance, his appearance on Phil Donahue's show or Politically Incorrect in the band's earlier days.

That being said I just understand how you can say it wasn't 'that bad'. I was watching it with a friend who knows very little about Manson other than I love him or used to love him and maybe I was just thinking how this is not a good introduction to the man for someone new so I bailed quickly and shut it off after about 15 minutes.
    Either way he was definitely rambling and nonsensical, he may have been on point for a sentence but it would quickly veer off course by the next. The last few years he's tried so hard to be funny instead of letting it come naturally like it used to.

I recently watched the Politically Incorrect one and that's the Manson I love. I don't know who he is today but it's not the same person.

Quote Originally Posted by JT_ View Post
    That being said I just understand how you can say it wasn't 'that bad'. I was watching it with a friend who knows very little about Manson other than I love him or used to love him and maybe I was just thinking how this is not a good introduction to the man for someone new so I bailed quickly and shut it off after about 15 minutes.
    Either way he was definitely rambling and nonsensical, he may have been on point for a sentence but it would quickly veer off course by the next. The last few years he's tried so hard to be funny instead of letting it come naturally like it used to.

I recently watched the Politically Incorrect one and that's the Manson I love. I don't know who he is today but it's not the same person.
    I agree - its a very different persona. I guess my point is that if you watch his interviews from about 2007 on, many take the "rambling," "random humor" approach so as a fan who has watched several interviews like this, it wasn't that surprising. I can see where a person not accustomed to Manson's rambling style would be surprised and even put off by it though.

Drugs and alcohol may have a role. He's pretty open about his drunkenness. Quitting drugs after a long period of addiction can also do this to you though, so it's hard to say exactly what's going on. A lot of people identify the recent Manson persona as sort of a happier, jollier "version" and I kind f get that vibe, but there are times I wonder if its really a cover for a man who is falling apart. :\

I stopped watching The Walking Dead the episode before the mid season 4 finale. I'd meant to catch up since but never got round to it till this year I started to watch the show again (from the beginning as itd been so long), ive just finished season 5 now. Then I remembered Manson appeared on The Talking Dead in 2013 and I never watched it because I didn't want any spoliers! So I googled it, and was bombarded with articles and videos criticising his appearance on the show. So Instantly I thought 'Oh dear...is it one of those cringeworthy Manson appearances where he's holding a glass of Absinthe and making juvenile jokes about sucking cocks or fucking peoples mothers...or pubic hair references etc?'
    I tracked down a few clips and watched them, I read a whole transcript of everything he said. I sat there and thought 'what the hell??? This isn't bad AT ALL!' I seriously don't get what the big deal was with his appearance. Yes, he did make some not so funny jokes, but all his points were not that of a raving looney man but someone who was taking the discussion a bit further and deeper than the rest of them were. It was slightly frustrating seeing Chris Hardwick cut him off and belittle him at every opportunity, I dunno if that's just cos it's his job and he's a comedian, or whether he genuinely just didn't like Manson. Or if he's just a dick in general? There are these allegations against him right now about mental and sexual abuse of his ex partner(s) as far as I know, so maybe he's just...a dick? 😒

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

It was clear as day that within a chat-based, informal segment about a fantasy series, Manson was both relaxed and erudite, whilst Hardwick was a snide little prick.

DON'T LET THEM KNOW HOW FAR YOU GO...

Yeah this was really blown up to be something when in reality it was just a fine TV appearance.

Manson was Manson on this show and he was awesome. I have never found any fault in this appearance.