Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Marilyn Manson Your Various Thoughts

It's important to be yourself right?

Married to Suedehead Shangri-LIE's Avatar
    Follow Shangri-LIE On Twitter

No, it's important to get yo drank on at 5 and watch soap opera's you Dvr'd. Doing that right now. With'said. Yes, it is important to be yourself. If you aint, you got schizophrenia.
    OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

3. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Shangs View Post
    No, it's important to get yo drank on at 5 and watch soap opera's you Dvr'd. Doing that right now. With'said. Yes, it is important to be yourself. If you aint, you got schizophrenia.
    In which case, you're being yourselves.
    "Even smiling makes my face ache."

Schizophrenia is knowing how to detach your inner parts from the sum of your whole. Your temperament may be an embodiment of yourself, but there might not be a reflection.
    Last edited by Shock Hazard; 10-17-2014 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shock Hazard View Post
    Schizophrenia is knowing how to detach your inner parts from the sum of your whole. Your temperament may be an embodiment of yourself, but there might not be a reflection.
    Oy. I was being flip....my mom was a schizophrenic so I get it.....
    "Even smiling makes my face ache."

7. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

You know what the big thing, and big earning seems to be at the moment? Nostalgia. Both the resurrection or re-launching of film projects that were once cultural behemoths, or the reformation and reunion of bands and artists who were silent for years, sometimes decades. Straight Outta Compton is a great example, because although N.W.A. never went away culturally, it's arguable that Dre and Ice Cube's solo careers eclipsed at least the memory of N.W.A., if not the legacy. Now with the film, it's reignited people's interest in their origins, which is fine, and Dre's album dropped, and they're doing reunion shows.

Now, stuff like this, an apparent reunion of Destiny's Child, The Libertines doing a new record, G-Unit are apparently reforming (and plenty more examples), it got me thinking about Marilyn Manson.
    Now I've long held that I still love and admire the quality of his more recent releases, even if there's not so much of a cultural zeitgeist surrounding them. However, besides a very brief fifteen-month 'retirement' from music in 2005, Manson's never really gone away. It seems that the way artists make big waves is to ride on nostalgia after they've been absent for ten years or more. Because Marilyn Manson is just himself regardless of who he makes music with, he can't really have a 'reunion' just on his own. The closest and biggest example was obviously Twiggy re-joining, which was massive at the time, but now Twiggy's been back in the band the same amount of time he was originally in it before leaving, so although brilliant, it's not a new thrill anymore, except when it comes to them making new music.

This isn't really about what I'd want to see, I don't think Manson missed a trick by just keeping on with what he wanted to do, but there have been two albums now where they've briefly been called 'comeback' records, but you can't comeback if you never went away. If Manson had gone off the radar musically back in '05, and then suddenly rocked up with The Pale Emperor or Born Villain in the past year, I guarantee it would cause a shitstorm. But that's still not a criticism, I just think it reflects music fans' fickle nature - people need reminding someone exists to give a shit.
    "the Serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which
    the LORD god had made
    "

m e m e n t o m o r i . p o s t m o r t e m

9. Like 3 Member(s) liked this post

Regarding the nostalgia wave:
    I noticed the same and when I think about all the "90s kids" shit that is en vogue nowadays, I guess the nostalgia really is coming from those who where teens in the 90s or very early 2000s. That generation is now in their late 20s and early 30s, leaving university, starting to feel "old". And therefore, finally old enough to be nostalgic about something.

I agree that Manson can't have a comeback and I really hope he won't try to have one ever again. But I think he could ride the nostalgia wave by releasing something nice for the 20th birthday of ACSS. I would love a DVD / blueray version of the Dead to the world videotape. It's my alltime favorite live material (maybe because I envy those who experienced it live back then) of MM and I think it's a shame it is only availible in such poor quality.

11. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

I understand what you're explaining, and I think he's done what you've suggested, but only in subtle ways that appeal to himself, his nearest-and-dearest, or die-hard fans who understand what he's doing.
    By that, I mean sly lyrical nods, or sounds and songs that shamelessly reference the past, without seeking to recreate it. Live setlists, quotes, album lyrics, photoshoots, status updates... 'etc.', I think Manson does the nostalgia thing on a continuous trip, rather than leaving it for years and then revisiting them. There are tropes and idents of his that were absolutely fucking crucial and integral to his persona at certain points a few decades ago that he can now use more freely to represent his personality. In 1996, the 'Shock Symbol' absolutely had to be attached to Antichrist Superstar and that incarnation of Marilyn Manson. Now, it is more of an accepted, integrated aspect of the entity we accept to be 'Marilyn Manson'.

So basically, as he predicted, the worm ate its tail and emerged out the other side.
    "the Serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which
    the LORD god had made
    "

m e m e n t o m o r i . p o s t m o r t e m

13. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post