Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 1 of 35 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Recent Films & Your Reviews III

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Default Recent Films & Your Reviews III

I thought this one could do with a refresher, although perhaps with people offering short reviews of some of the films they've seen rather than just listing them. PART ONE was here, for anyone wanting to read it again.

There's always plenty of films in my life, although in particular the last few weeks have had some consistent nights in as it gets colder and the wife is away. In no particular order, I've enjoyed The Long Good Friday, The Truman Show, Snatch, Dead Man's Shoes, Mona Lisa, The Football Factory, Sexy Beast, Road To Perdition, Romper Stomper, The Business, Brighton Rock [2010], Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels and This Is England over the past two weeks. Yes, a lot of very violent, visceral films in that list, but hey, life isn't always soft and fluffy.
    It was the first time seeing a couple of those, specifically Dead Man's Shoes, This Is England, and Brighton Rock. All new additions were fantastic, especially Brighton Rock. Sumptuous visuals, brilliant acting, and a faithful if inventive adaptation of Greene's original novel that didn't step on the toes of the Attenborough/Hartnell version. I hadn't really explored any of Shane Meadows work before either, and the other two were brilliant in different ways.

I look forward to hearing others!

Administrator
    "Captain Aids"
    Follow Norsefire On Twitter Visit Norsefire's Instagram Channel

This Is England is a great film, but it was one of those films I put off watching and then wished I had seen it sooner. There is a TV show that continues on, set some years after the film but containing all the same actors/characters I think. I've been meaning to sit down and watch it but always forget about it or don't have the time, it goes on and off 4OD and I always seem to miss it.

I think the first series was This Is England '86 and the second series is This Is England '88, the second series is on 4OD: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/this-is-england/4od
    But I would think it connects on some how, so it's probably better to find 86 first.

Hunger Games 1 and 2. I want to see Ender's Game but only one theater in my city is still showing it.

Follow me Down To Hell Mi-CroMartie's Avatar

Could've been Tarantino's remake of Faster Pussycat and his ultimate wet dream for a grindhouse flick with BFF Robert Rodriguez. Twas good

Ender's Game - 1st half of the movie is like teenage version of Full Metal Jacket in alien space minus Gunnery Hartman's swearing tirades and 2nd half was a bit Hunger Games-ish deathmatch training with the other camps. Decent pop corn sci-fi teen flick to me.

Sleeping Beauty 2011 - Don't expect Maleficient witch or prince charming in this one cos this one's more like a Kubrick-ish mind fuckery.
    Last edited by Mi-CroMartie; 12-11-2013 at 09:07 PM.

Follow me Down To Hell Mi-CroMartie's Avatar

^ That was the saving grace of my movie despite she got killed off in the 2nd half. Oh well. It's slighty better than the 1st one.. Sofia's machine gun bra and the panty that shoots bullets when she does the humping dance move was just pure LOL gold.

I shudder at the thought of what's been done to Enders Game. The book by Orson Scott Card is genius.
    "Even smiling makes my face ache."

Administrator
    "Captain Aids"

The Hobbit : The Desolation of Smaug
    Fantastic film! I will say that I thought the first half of the film was sort of slow, but this was probably because of how the first film ended I wanted them to just get to the mountain already. It was still all good but the second half was great once they were inside the mountain with Smaug. Benedict Cumberbatch providing the voice for Smaug was a great match, when he started talking it seemed familiar and it bugged me for about 5 minutes until Star Trek came to mind as to where I've heard the voice before. Evangeline Lilly was also great.

Now I just want next xmas to come around so I can see the final film.

Administrator
    "Captain Aids"

ARTIFACT

I kept seeing ARTIFACT being posted about on Facebook, so I decided to see what it was actually about. I knew it was about 30 Seconds To Mars, which I'm not even a fan of but then I read it's a documentary about their album creation and how record label's treat artist, so I decided to check it out.
    It's a good documentary and you don't have to be a fan of 30STM to enjoy it. It really shows how shit it is for bands, they need a major label to help them get out there in the world but by doing so they're just fucked over at the same time. It has a lot of different people interviewed from bands, journalists or people who've worked or work for record labels.
    If you are a fan of the band, then I'm sure it's even better because you're getting a good behind the scenes look at them creating their This Is War album.

Mulholland Drive. First time watching a David Lynch movie. Thought it was pretty good. I want to get his other films now.

I have seen a lot of movies in the last month or so...

I will just post today's movies. I watch 10 - 15 movies a week.

The Hobbit 2 - 9.5/10

Blackfish

Now.. the one I just watched is a doc called Blackfish. I think everyone should see this movie. It breaks my heart knowing what these mammal's have to go through being stuck in these small fucking tanks. There is a website called http://www.freetillynow.org/ please go there and help out by signing the petition. Tilikum is the whale who killed the women in Orlando. He should not be in a fucking cage. He is kept there to this day because he breeds with the females. Most people do not know this but he did the same thing at a Sealand and Seawolrd purchased him. Seaworld knew he was a risk when they bought him. He is 2 times bigger then any other orca they have in Orlando. He actually killed a third person who had broke into the park overnight and they found the guy in his tank naked with his junk bitten off. He is just too big to be kept in the tank he is kept in. He is loved by the trainers and former staff want him released. He kills because he is frustrated. If you watch the movie you will get a better understanding what happened the day Dawn was killed by Tilikum.