Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 253132333435

Thread: Recent Films & Your Reviews III

Visit cataract777's Youtube Channel

I’m a moderate fan and enjoyed this documentary. Gets pretty up close and personal into her life surrounding the release of her latest record. It’s a shame she’s so hard on herself.

2. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    A Mental Revolution Nemoris Inferioris's Avatar
    Follow Nemoris Inferioris On Twitter Add Nemoris Inferioris on Facebook Visit Nemoris Inferioris's Youtube Channel

The Eyes Of My Mother (2016) [SPOILERS]

The Eyes Of My Mother is something totally unexpected to be released during a period of when the Horror genre is believed to be at it's lowest. This is perhaps the greatest horror film to be released since The VVITCH. Both are not your typical horror films. They are much more old fashioned, and are more stylish.

The Eyes Of My Mother is a modern Noir, which is just as disturbing as it is intriguing. Right from the beginning, i was hooked in. The cinematography was very stylish and unique in it's own way. Going from extremely wide angles, to a Bird's Eye, to long shots. All are composed very well together, and the Black & White filter only enhances it's wonderful cinematography. The filter is perhaps the most unique aspect of the film, as very few films, particularly horror films, are shot in Black & White. It is something that is missed in the film industry. The contrasting of whites and blacks intensify what the film conveys. My favorite is a shot of our Protagonist/ Antagonist cleaning up a spill or mess on the floor. Us not knowing for sure if it is blood, or just a typical kitchen spill. This effect worked well in Hitchcock's "Psycho".

The dialog is very minimal, as the visuals tell most of what the film wants to say. Reminds me of Lynch's "Eraserhead". As for the score, it is very well done. It doesn't distract too much from the film, as it is strictly to intensify a scene. Works really well for the film. Another part i loved about this film, is how it cuts away from us seeing any true violence. Right before it goes down, it cuts to another character, and their facial expression as they hear the violence happen. It creates a "Unknowing" Effect, which i love. The film obviously isn't about gore or being over-the-top with it's antics. The film is told in a subtle and mature way. I find this and The Boy (2015, not 2016) to be quite similar, as both are a coming-of-age/ becoming-of-a-serial-killer horror film. I also highly recommend The Boy.

The 1 hour and 17 minute time stamp only leaves you wanting more, especially due to the ambiguity of it all. The woman who played Francisca (Which by the way, the name Francisca comes from a throwing axe used as a weapon during the Early Middle Ages by the Franks), was perfect for the role. Not only is she pretty, but she makes us believe she is friendly and polite, yet something extremely lethal, with no understanding of what is morally right or wrong. She is obviously a corrupt person, and something seems off about her. Who was raised to believe murder is a acceptable thing to do, and death is only a thing that makes her lonely, which is ultimately the theme of the film. As her family dies out, she is left all alone, and has only but her prisoner(s) to care for, and to claim as her "Best Friend". Just shows how lonely she really is. Since she lost her family, she try's to regain it back, in ways that are only to be told by the film itself.
    Memento Mori
    You Pays Your Money, You Takes Your Choice.
    619208 919 4514
    -The Divine Trickster-
    I Was Invited To Eat The Young
    It's A Poor Sort Of Memory That Only Works Backwards.

4. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post
    Follow me Down To Hell Mi-CroMartie's Avatar

Happy Death Day.

Basically, Scream 90s slasher flick meets Groundhog Day...

Roommate who makes cupcakes is the babyface killer.

Default Thor: Ragnarok

Oh my how hilarious. Thank you Taiki Waititi, I always knew you were one of my favourite NZ directors for a reason. Bringing back somewhat sarcastic Thor (which matches the recent comics) who suddenly has a very Kiwi sense of humour, throwing in a million references to the various Thor comics, and making a film that is streamlined and not as torturous as the previous one.

Most importantly, thank you for all the hilarious Aussie and Kiwi in jokes, and a nice representation of indigenous Australian and NZ actors. Sweet as, bro.

I
    • Did not expect a The Castle reference from Rachel House ("tell her she's dreaming"), which double points for the pun on her surname and also for including indigenous New Zealanders. Fuck the man. Even better having them make the pointed comment about 'slavery.' Because OUCH. If you haven't seen The Castle, damn well go and watch it. It's the vibe.

• Every single space ship is named after a typical 'Aussie' and 'Kiwi' working class car - even the Terana, I mean... what? LOL

• The space ship fitted out in the Aboriginal flag (outside), and Māori flag, the bold black and red Tino Rangatiratanga (inside) - Tessa Thompson is basically flying in on an emblem of indigenous sovereignty and that is awesome. That is also a party. Bonus for Booze-hag, such NZ slang. Also opening her beer like everyone does in Once Were Warriors

• Korg, the K Road bouncer who is every single giant Maori/Polynesian I have ever met. Also talking about 'being annoyed by ghosts' - a reference to a 2011 anti-drink driving campaign in which a bloke rebuffs his dead, drunk-driving mate's offer ghost chips. It is amazing and on YouTube if you want to see it.

• "I didn't choose the skux life, the skux life chose me', from Waititi's Hunt for the Wilderpeople, and Skux is used everywhere in NZ.

• What We Do in the Shadows with the three vampires with one pitchfork

• Sam Neill

I'll let you find the Kiwi diss jokes against the Australians (Thor) yourself. XD
    Quid ignorantia sit multi ignorant.

7. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Enname View Post
    Oh my how hilarious. Thank you Taiki Waititi, I always knew you were one of my favourite NZ directors for a reason. Bringing back somewhat sarcastic Thor (which matches the recent comics) who suddenly has a very Kiwi sense of humour, throwing in a million references to the various Thor comics, and making a film that is streamlined and not as torturous as the previous one.

Most importantly, thank you for all the hilarious Aussie and Kiwi in jokes, and a nice representation of indigenous Australian and NZ actors. Sweet as, bro.

I
    • Did not expect a The Castle reference from Rachel House ("tell her she's dreaming"), which double points for the pun on her surname and also for including indigenous New Zealanders. Fuck the man. Even better having them make the pointed comment about 'slavery.' Because OUCH. If you haven't seen The Castle, damn well go and watch it. It's the vibe.

• Every single space ship is named after a typical 'Aussie' and 'Kiwi' working class car - even the Terana, I mean... what? LOL

• The space ship fitted out in the Aboriginal flag (outside), and Māori flag, the bold black and red Tino Rangatiratanga (inside) - Tessa Thompson is basically flying in on an emblem of indigenous sovereignty and that is awesome. That is also a party. Bonus for Booze-hag, such NZ slang. Also opening her beer like everyone does in Once Were Warriors

• Korg, the K Road bouncer who is every single giant Maori/Polynesian I have ever met. Also talking about 'being annoyed by ghosts' - a reference to a 2011 anti-drink driving campaign in which a bloke rebuffs his dead, drunk-driving mate's offer ghost chips. It is amazing and on YouTube if you want to see it.

• "I didn't choose the skux life, the skux life chose me', from Waititi's Hunt for the Wilderpeople, and Skux is used everywhere in NZ.

• What We Do in the Shadows with the three vampires with one pitchfork

• Sam Neill

I'll let you find the Kiwi diss jokes against the Australians (Thor) yourself. XD
    I saw that yesterday! First I was annoyed that they went sooo hard with the comedy but once I let go of my preconceived notions of what the film should be (or maybe rather, once the amazing film won me over) I had a great time. I've been getting so tired of the overtly dramatic "save the world" schtick that's been ramping up in the Marvel movies and this nailed the comic book silliness without going to Deadpool levels. Best Marvel movie so far imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Absolution View Post
    I saw that yesterday! First I was annoyed that they went sooo hard with the comedy but once I let go of my preconceived notions of what the film should be (or maybe rather, once the amazing film won me over) I had a great time. I've been getting so tired of the overtly dramatic "save the world" schtick that's been ramping up in the Marvel movies and this nailed the comic book silliness without going to Deadpool levels. Best Marvel movie so far imo.
    There is a fine art to using comedy so that the pace keeps moving but the seriousness of the stakes aren't lost. In a similar way there is also a fine art to having drama and angst without tendentiousness setting in, something that is always a risk with Marvel. This one managed to get the former right and even still manage to do more with the angst than the previous one (talk about wasting opportunities with Frigga's death). So, win. Glad you managed to relax and go with it!
    Quid ignorantia sit multi ignorant.

10. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post