Nav_image
Nav_image NEWS TOUR BIOGRAPHIES DISCOGRAPHY VIDEOGRAPHY GALLERY INTERVIEWS Nav_image
Nav_image JOURNAL ESSAYS TIMELINE FORUM THEATRE SITE INFO Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 313738394041

Thread: Recent Films & Your Reviews III

Follow me Down To Hell Mi-CroMartie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DecayingSinner View Post
    Terrifier

It was recommended by a friend and is on Netflix. It don’t know if it was so bad it is good, but I loved it. The movie is a complete throwback to 80s slasher films but with tons of gore that is still kept in 80s style.

The music is done by Paul Wiley, which is an added bonus.

After watching it, I f could only describe it as completely depraved and ruthless. Probably my favorite independent film of the year.
    Saw that last month... And that's the same clown from the Hallows Eve duology series.

That ending twist though.

Finished Halloween 2018: Yes, it's the sequel that we needed. Although, there were some references to his childhood from Rob Zombie's version though..

The soundtrack is still classy nostalgia.

Married to Suedehead Shangri-LIE's Avatar

I'm at a loss for words other than somewhat audible chuckles to review this with

OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

Quote Originally Posted by Mi-CroMartie View Post
    Finished Halloween 2018: Yes, it's the sequel that we needed. Although, there were some references to his childhood from Rob Zombie's version though..

The soundtrack is still classy nostalgia.
    The soundtrack is amazing. Was truly surprised. And I don't remember any references to the RZ Movies, except for the bathroom scene, which was more of a H20 reference to me. But I agree, best sequel to the OG yet.

(TwentyThree) Two Faced Egg (23)'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shangri-LIE View Post
    I'm at a loss for words other than somewhat audible chuckles to review this with

female creatures
    "Fake realities will create fake humans. Or, fake humans will generate fake realities and sell them to other humans, turning them, eventually, into forgeries of themself" -Philip K. Dick

Velvet Buzzsaw (2019, Netflix Original)
    Directed by Dan Gilroy (Nightcrawler)

First time I watched something out of impulse in a while. Unfortunately, I was disappointed (Although first Netflix Original I've been disappointed in). Seemed to be a waste of a great cast. There are two ways this film would have/ should have done:

1. A "The Neon Demon"-esque thriller about the danger of art... art consuming the egos of the pretentious and rubbing it in their face, by displaying their death as a piece of art to be criticized (as one death in this films displays, poorly)

Or

2. An Art Industry version of Nightcrawler. Especially since people thought the murder scene was part of the art, would have been an interesting idea to do what Lou Bloom did for the News, but for art. Create something extreme to satiate the art-world's hunger for something "raw, powerful, emotional, threatening".

Unfortunately, this film doesn't do ANY of that. Nope. What it does do, is focus on making a movie about some haunted paintings; and fails to even do that well. Plus, the "scary death scenes" are so poorly executed and cheaply done. In the end, it was a waste of a great cast, great director, and 2hrs.

High Life (2019) Directed by Claire Denis

This was a bold film. Has no boundaries, shows the true nature of humanity and is unapologetic. I have never seen anything like it. The score was amazing and the cinematography was something else. I'm so happy my theater finally decided to show it.

Btw this is the song Robert Pattinson sings at the end, and it's quite pleasant.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemoris Inferioris View Post
    High Life (2019) Directed by Claire Denis

This was a bold film. Has no boundaries, shows the true nature of humanity and is unapologetic. I have never seen anything like it. The score was amazing and the cinematography was something else. I'm so happy my theater finally decided to show it.
    Thanks for reminding me to see this - I really like a lot of Denis' other work, like Nénette et Boni, and of course Beau Travail. Bold is pretty much her trade mark. :)
    Quid ignorantia sit multi ignorant.

Midsommar (2019) Directed by Ari Aster

[Spoilers ahead!!!]

So I just got back from my second witnessing of Midsommar. I think it's safe to say Ari Aster has become one of my favorite directors, if not my favorite. His unique use of cinematography, the way the camera pans, locks onto movements, and the aerial shots are outright fantastic. Also by far one of my all-time favorite opening scenes, leading up to the amazing opening credits. Ugh. I love it. Towards the 2nd act, as they make their way towards Sweden, the colors, lighting, and music all take a hard 180 and shift drastically. Outright Beautiful. This film really was the right direction for him to go creatively, as it explored his ability to have two contrasting elements within one frame, which totally give you a dreadful feeling. As accompanied by Bobby Krilic's wonderful, dreamy score. Ari knows Exactly what the score should be in each film, and he done did it again. I've followed Bobby Krilic for some time, so it was excited to see him scoring the film of the year (for me). Once again, this goes into how Ari LOVES to contradict his imagery and score. Something surreal, fantastical, and pretty plays behind the disturbing imagery during the finale, and it's triumphant. Bravo. Fucking Bravo. Ari is definitely cutting edge, so he didn't shy away from the theme of Loss, Grievance, and relationship issues. As Hereditary dealt more with Family and Loss; Midsommar deals with Relationships, and of course Loss. Dani is "a wound of a human being", and it shows. She is damaged, and her hanging on to the thread holding her "relationship" together is beginning (or has already begun) to break. All it takes is a perfect getaway with your "Boyfriend's" friends, as they don't even want you there, and take part and join a Swedish Pagan Cult. It's a clear sense of relief at the end, as she smiles in joy. Skoal!

Critiques: I think part could have been cut (or shortened) to make this a full 5 star film, as after the 2nd act, it begins to drag on, and takes a while to unfold. I'd say a good 20 minutes could've bee cut out and it wouldn't have negatively affected the film. And some parts seemed to be for the sake of being strange, so that didn't help much. The "disabled" child seemed really out of place too. Seemed like he was put in for the shock of having a incestuous deformed child in the film.

Other than that, AMAZING film. Wish I could have taken mushrooms before seeing it. The psychedelic visuals were VERY accurate imo, btw. Never seen a film where they incorporate psychedelic drugs and beauty with horror.

ALSO, I am now afraid to be within the beauty of Nature, because I will only think of how Beautiful and terrifying this film was.