Nav_image
Nav_image NEWS TOUR BIOGRAPHIES DISCOGRAPHY VIDEOGRAPHY GALLERY INTERVIEWS Nav_image
Nav_image JOURNAL ESSAYS TIMELINE FORUM THEATRE SITE INFO Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Literary Influences

Quote Originally Posted by MistressOfClouds View Post
    Are the books mentioned on The Nachtkabarett books MM himself has mentioned, or are those books used by the authors of the NK to write their essays?

I have been asking myself a petty little question for some time now: What about the legal aspects of citing books, very few people have heard of? I know that there is some money paid to the respective studios if samples from their movies are used. But did MM pay money to whoever holds the rights to Crowleys Diary of a Dope Fiend and all other works he is citing? What about taking one single term like "Narcissus Narcosis" from Wilson Bryan Key? (See the thread in the PE subforum.)

While it is fun to go on this intellectual treasure hunts MM provides us, I can't help to feel a little disappointment when I learn that a phrase or term (e.g. the mentioned Narcissus Nercosis, or the rebel from the waist down) that I liked especially, isn't his own idea after all. It doesn't really impair the quality of Manson's work or my respect for him, but does anyone else feel that way sometimes?
    I can't provide any insight into works' citing and legality, but in regards to your second paragraph, no; I never feel deflated that Manson has borrowed or referenced an idea or piece of work. If anything, it is enthralling. I will forever be grateful that he has shared so many different things with his audience. In my opinion, it doesn't make him unoriginal because he alters the subject to make it his own, in a way, and he breathes life into old art that shouldn't be forgotten/brushed off.
    --------------------------------

Don't tell me what to do.

You have a point.
    And after all, I really admire his knowledge on all those different subjects. I sometimes wonder how someone who has been prorducing music and touring non-stop (especially in the 90s) can find the time to read that much.
    Manson is always a good source if I want something interesting to read or watch, that no one I know has ever heard of.

There has been at least two obvious cases of Manson being inspired by Palahniuk.

The first one is Born Again where Manson sings

the valley of the dolls is
    the valley of the dead
    Which is most possibly a reference to the ending of Fight Club and the main characters comparison of a mental institution to "The Valley of the Dolls playset".

They bring you your meals on a tray with a paper cup of meds.
    The Valley of the Dolls playset.
    There is another reference on The Pale Emperor which I discovered while reading Lullaby. In the book, there's a following line:

You kill strangers deliberately so you don't accidentally kill the people you love.
    While in the opening song, Killing Strangers, Manson sings:

We're killing strangers, we're killing strangers
    We're killing strangers, so we don't kill the ones that we love

The Valley Of The Dolls was also a 1967 picture starring Manson Family victim Sharon Tate (and written by perennial film critic Roger Ebert) which I tend to think is the primary reference in "Born Again". Sharp thinking, though.
    To revenge the misdeeds of the ruling class, there existed in the middle ages, in Germany, a secret tribunal, called the “Vehmgericht.” If a red cross was seen marked on a house, people knew that its owner was doomed by the “Vehm.”

All the houses of Europe are now marked with the mysterious red cross.

Great find!

Thought I'd share this here considering recent convo
    book by Jacqueline Susann, noted as being in Manson & Rose's hotel room during MA (unsure if the book was this edition, as the covers vary)

Also, love the palahniuk killing strangers bit... love palahniuk <3
    --------------------------------

Don't tell me what to do.