Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image

Thread: The Speed of Pain lyric meaning...

Lightbulb The Speed of Pain lyric meaning...

Just noticed something the other day when I was reading The Long Hard Road Out Of Hell.
    Given that this was written near enough around the time he was working on Mechanical Animals, you can see through the words he uses the early seeds of some of the songs.

When Manson describes his Grandpa's cellar he says he remembers, after opening the locked drawer, something wrapped in woman's hair = "keep all your secrets, wrapped in dead hair"?

Could The Speed of Pain, like Kinderfeld, be another alusion to Manson's youth and experiences?
    Has anyone else noticed anything similiar?

Like his date with the chick who he lost his virginity to in the park could have led him to write some of Cake and Sodomy = "who said date rape is'nt kind?".

2. Like 4 Member(s) liked this post
    Visit cataract777's Youtube Channel

I did not notice this, but it is an interesting find and highly possible that's what he's referring to when singing "Keep all of your secrets wrapped in dead hair."

I'd like to know more about what the song is about.

4. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

That is really interesting, I still need to read that autobiography. One of the many things I haven't done yet.
    A system organized around the weakest qualities of individuals will produce these same qualities in its leaders.

That's what I've always figured it was alluding to...they were written at pretty much the same time, after all.

You may also remember the part of the book where he mentions having trouble sleeping on his back while touring because of all the cuts on the front of his abdomen, which he inverted in "Speed of Pain" to refer to the knives in his back instead.

7. Like 5 Member(s) liked this post
    Add S.Hal0mega.B on Facebook Visit S.Hal0mega.B's Youtube Channel

I always thought the Speed of Pain was a reference to how long it takes before the pain (Emotionally?) settles in. The knives in the back thing I signify as relating to Coma White, and therefore the amount of days he's known her. Then I gave thought to an inner-turmoil that relates to how he relates to just "living in and with, himself".

"Our less well-developed physical senses, vis-a-vis our limited perception of the electromagnetic spectrum, aka reality - would be responsible for our reliance on reality and all that we define by it."
    'Joelle'

9. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    A Mental Revolution Nemoris Inferioris's Avatar
    Follow Nemoris Inferioris On Twitter Add Nemoris Inferioris on Facebook Visit Nemoris Inferioris's Youtube Channel

Interesting. I don't think the whole song is about his you, but that line really references that. I remember reading about that.
    Memento Mori
    You Pays Your Money, You Takes Your Choice.
    619208 919 4514
    -The Divine Trickster-
    I Was Invited To Eat The Young
    It's A Poor Sort Of Memory That Only Works Backwards.

Manson specifically mentioned in interviews that the general concept of the song revolved around the idea of one day being able to outrace the human nervous system's signals for pain so as to bypass the sensation altogether via technology, hence the progression toward "Posthuman" afterward.

12. Like 5 Member(s) liked this post
    Visit cataract777's Youtube Channel

According to this website, there was an article in Chart Magazine in October of 1998 where Manson spoke about the meaning behind the track.

The site states MM: "Speed of Pain was inspired by the scientific theory that they’re trying to make machines that operate at the speed of pain, like the human nervous system. It’s more about the coming to terms with man’s relevance on earth. How it’s becoming more and more apparent that by our own creations we will destroy ourselves. The album to me is really a dystopia, the world I see ahead. It’s the second part of my apocalyptic story."

Here's the site:
    http://m_xx_m.tripod.com/htmls/quotes_mechanical.htm

14. Like 3 Member(s) liked this post