Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Four Rusted Horses

Default Four Rusted Horses

Hey guys, I got an essay coming up, and we have to choose a song to write about and explain the lyrics and what it means to us etc.
    So I wanted to choose Four Rusted Horses, but I am still kind of unsure about what some of it means. If you could help me I would greatly appreciate it.

I think the Four Rusted Horses part has to do with the 4 horsemen of the Apocalypse right? Some of it is self explanatory, I'm guessing the forbidden in Heavan and useless in Hell means, he can't get into into Heavan but he's to evil to be in hell? If you guys have suggestions for an easier or better song to pick I am up for it. It just has to be clean, so obviously no Armagoddamnmotherfuckingeddon

Administrator
    "Captain Aids"
    Follow Norsefire On Twitter Visit Norsefire's Instagram Channel

Here's some quotes you might be able to use:

This irony influenced Four Rusted Horses; there's irony in all placement of that song, but it's fateful the way it came out. That song really started to dictate what we were going to do on the record. Lyrically, it's almost a nursery rhyme. I realized that I was singing about the band, and everyone thinks initially that I was singing about The Apocalypse, but it's more just about the four of us, my band, that managed to survive through all of this, and where do we go from here. It's me asserting myself as the hangman, the effigy, the pariah, the scapegoat.

source: SPIN 2009
    By the time I wrote Four Rusted Horses I was referencing my biblical upbringing in symbols that I think are important. It was using them in an anti-religious way - just painting a lyrical picture as I was living it.

source: DRUM MEDIA 2009

3. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Thanks!

Hi, friend BreakingYourMomsOldMound's Avatar

Cool idea for a project. I wrote an essay for a literature class on If I was Your Vampire and got an A+, but my professor telling me I looked like Manson meant way more to me than the grade.

Anyway, I would mention that the song refers to the four horseman and that calling them rusted is a way of saying that the idea of Christianity, or at least that aspect of it, is outdated. Also, in the end of Revelation, Christ says that he's coming soon. Manson probably knows this and finds humor in the fact that so many people are still waiting.

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

It seems somewhat obvious to note, but I enjoy the dichotomy in "everyone will come to my funeral to make sure that I stay dead".

This is seemingly a commentary on Manson's notoriety, or celebrity, in the sense that whatever someone's reason for attending the funeral, everyone is still there, he still attracts people to him even for negative reasons. This in turn harks back to the study of Celebritarianism during Mechanical Animals and Holy Wood - "If they kill you on their TV, you're a martyr and a lamb of god" - and later on EAT ME, DRINK ME - The Red Carpet Grave/"It's no wonder our stage clothes have dreams to be famous".
    In fact, speaking of EAT ME, DRINK ME, there's parallel to be found in the Nabokov-inspired lyric "I was invited to a beheading today", and "everyone will come to my funeral".
    I'm reminded further of the public execution scene in Man That You Fear, all of these examples carrying their own religious undertones of Christ's public crucifixion.

7. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by S.D. View Post
    I'm reminded further of the public execution scene in Man That You Fear, all of these examples carrying their own religious undertones of Christ's public crucifixion.
    I was watching that video the other day, and thought the same: "Hey, this was later portrayed somehow in Four rusted Horses".

For me, four rusted horses is a defiant claim from the 4 members of Manson (at the time) agains the rest of the world. Is like saying: World, you might hates us almost as much as we hate ourselves, but we will keep bringing you the apocalypse for as long as we breath".

don't know if this is helpful at all, but is just an idea I wanted to share.

9. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Thanks all, very helpful!

Hi everyone!
    In this song you can hear some speech on the background. (1:09 - 1:40 for example)
    Could someone write what this man says?

Original AIDS provider.

I don't think any one's ever found out the exact words or the source. This discussion may be relevant to your interests.
    My avatar looks like a mix of NIN, My Chemical Romance, and Chris Vrenna

I've asked Twiggy and Vrenna about that sample in "4 Rusted Horses" point-blank, several times over the years.

They said they couldn't remember and/or didn't know wtf it was or where it came from, lol.

Never thought to ask Manson himself, though.

Anyone?

14. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post