Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image

Thread: The Man That You Fear & Shirley Jackson's The Lottery

Default The Man That You Fear & Shirley Jackson's The Lottery

I watched The Man That You Fear music video today and couldn't help but see the similarities to Shirley Jackson's short story "The Lottery"
    ( which can be read here : http://fullreads.com/literature/the-lottery/ ), which is about a town that practices an annual archaic ritual where one town folk is the victim/winner/whathaveyou of their sadistic Lottery.

Video & Short Story Similarities:
    A) Selection: The video begins with a little girl blindly spinning around with her pointer finger raised & comes to a random stop, which signifies the draw of who will play human sacrifice. The short story's luck of the draw is just as childish (seemingly innocent) & haphazard: orchestrated by pulling slips of paper from a box, a smeared dot marking the chosen one.
    B) Tradition: the video shows the walk of the chosen one as a charade/ceremonial type percussion, ensuring the viewer that this is common, a societal norm, which is cemented by the previous victims' headstone at destination point. The Lottery shows societal norm by townsfolk meeting once a year at a certain time (no excuses, except injury (& someone can draw for you) outside of town, the ground providing a multitude of stones to soak up the bloody history made outside the town.
    C) Persecution: Both selection processes, and that they both use the head of the household as prime target, except The Lottery limits the selection further by members of the household.
    D) Execution: his wife picks up a hefty stone in hopes of a quick & fatal blow (see below for "number" tie in within lyrics), as do the townsfolk that care about victim (can't tell you name; find out yourself and READ)
    1. Note that townsfolk infants pick up pebbles

I digress.

Lyrical basis:

The ants are in the sugar
    Don't drink the koolaid (no, seriously, jokes end here.)

Are all your infants in abortion cribs
    I was born into this
    Everything turns to shit
    They are all born into this society, born to die: aborted since birth.

The boy that you loved is the man that you fear
    (See fear explanation below)

Pray until your number,
    Asleep from all your pain,
    Hope that you get numb to the pain of your stone cold death

Your apple has been rotting
    Tomorrow's turned up dead
    I have it all and I have no choice but to
    I'll make everyone pay and you will see
    Society has made victim this way, yet society punishes him for it (see epiphany below)

You can kill yourself now
    Because you're dead
    In my mind
    I read this as sarcasm spoken from the victim to his loved ones, and visavis

The boy that you loved is the monster you fear
    Killing for the sake of bs tradition

Pray now baby, pray your life was just a dream
    (I am so tangled in my sins that I cannot escape)
    You killed, now it's your turn.

Pinch the head off, collapse me like a weed
    Someone had to go this far
    It's tradition, right?

The boy that you loved is the man that you fear
    In video, wife fears him because she has to kill him. Can you imagine being for edit o kill the one you love? Just throwing that in.

Peel off all those eyes and crawl into the dark,
    You've poisoned all of your children to camouflage your scars
    Children participate openly, without disgrace or shame: environment, so nature couples with nurture

Pray your life was just a dream
    The cut that never heals
    Pray now baby, pray your life was just a dream
    (Self explanatory)

The world in my hands, there's no one left to hear you scream
    There's no one left for you (same sentiment as below)

When all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed
    Both are paying for their luxuries (whatever they may be), and just when beauty unfolds they lose their loved ones and their beauty dies, which sucks because the realization is learned too late.

Uhhhm. Discuss?
    Last edited by YoureAlreadyHere; 01-29-2014 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Just wanna say I'm the backwards man, the backwards man.
    --------------------------------

Don't tell me what to do.

My world is unaffected... Unpretty Unsafe's Avatar
    Add Unpretty Unsafe on Facebook

The video is based on The Lottery. I can't pull up an exact quote on it from 1997 right now, but I'm pretty sure Manson has made mention of it. And back in the day, I remember seeing the video late at night on MTV's 120 Minutes, host Matt Pinfield even introduced the video as, "The Lottery-based 'Man That You Fear'."

Today was my first view and I hadn't read the Lottery until 2010.

Thank you for the insight. Next time I'll google rather than be an asshat
    Last edited by YoureAlreadyHere; 01-29-2014 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Wrong year

^ Haha nah, you were curious and asked a question. Fortunately, I have 18 years of Manson trivia in my head and overall MM geekdom, that I was capable of helping you out.

^18 years, wow. I aspire to be such a fan: one day. Until then, thank you for acknowledging my post & giving me a heads up

Quote Originally Posted by Unpretty Unsafe View Post
    The video is based on The Lottery. I can't pull up an exact quote on it from 1997 right now, but I'm pretty sure Manson has made mention of it. And back in the day, I remember seeing the video late at night on MTV's 120 Minutes, host Matt Pinfield even introduced the video as, "The Lottery-based 'Man That You Fear'."
    You might be thinking of when he said it during an interview with a fan on the old MTV show called FANatic. It's around the 4 minute mark
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTHEQqMnPcw

Quote Originally Posted by AntiSocial View Post
    You might be thinking of when he said it during an interview with a fan on the old MTV show called FANatic. It's around the 4 minute mark
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTHEQqMnPcw
    Ah, could've been that. That aired in early 99. Thanks for the link, I hadn't seen that in years!