Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hannibal

Spawning Forth The Snake spaceSuicide's Avatar
    Follow spaceSuicide On Twitter Add spaceSuicide on Facebook Follow spaceSuicide on Tumblr

Default Hannibal

I've fallen in deeply to this show. Mads Mikkelsen is absolutely brilliant as the deadly Dr. Lecter. I love his portrayal, maybe even moreso than Anthony Hopkins but alas, apples and oranges. Hugh Dancy as Will Graham, Laurence Fishburne as Jack Crawford and Gillian Anderson as the lovely Bedelia Du Maurier is all award winning in my book. The portrayals, angles and writing are consistently engaging and I am in awe with the visualization and unique cinematography. The dream sequences in season one are to die for, maybe literally. :p

No news yet on a third season (I hope!) renewal but evidently Bryan Fuller has stated he had created a seven season story arc for the series entirely. I hope this doesn't get dropped due to ratings since the show is a great success in my eyes.

However, any fans or watchers?

Shameless plug: I own Season One on DVD (NTSC Region) but no longer need it as I bought the Blu-Ray version. If anyone is interested, I'd be willing to sell you the season via Paypal and mail it to you for $12.00, shipping included. PM me if interested.
    I use words sharp as a sword

2. Like 3 Member(s) liked this post

One of the very few shows that just gets better. I look forward to each new episode.
    "Even smiling makes my face ache."

4. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

I'm a little frustrated of not being able to get into this, especially after seeing a lot of love for it. But I found the characters took themselves too seriously too frequently. There was no light relief to contrast with the darker moments - which the previous Hannibal movies have done. Hopkin's Hannibal was charming and playful throughout Lambs and it's sequel whilst Foster's Starling smiled and exchanged light pleasantries as she went about her business.
    I found this Hannibal goes for the dramatic tension 100% of the time with no let up, and it doesn't feel so special.

Follow spaceSuicide On Twitter Add spaceSuicide on Facebook Follow spaceSuicide on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Alterkaker66 View Post
    One of the very few shows that just gets better. I look forward to each new episode.
    Agreed 100%!

Quote Originally Posted by timoldbean View Post
    I'm a little frustrated of not being able to get into this, especially after seeing a lot of love for it. But I found the characters took themselves too seriously too frequently. There was no light relief to contrast with the darker moments - which the previous Hannibal movies have done. Hopkin's Hannibal was charming and playful throughout Lambs and it's sequel whilst Foster's Starling smiled and exchanged light pleasantries as she went about her business.
    I found this Hannibal goes for the dramatic tension 100% of the time with no let up, and it doesn't feel so special.
    That sucks. However, I think this works very well. This serves as a prequel series before he is imprisoned and meets Clarice so he has to be more shut off, calm, cool and collected to keep his fake veil of sincerity and care at bay. If he flirts with his words too much, he might reveal something. He's intelligent but slip-ups can happen to anyone. He's a different killer when he is captured (if the show gets that far), I'm sure this show will illustrate that. I don't know how much you watched, but he's a psychiatrist pre-dominantly in season one so you can't expect to act outside of that role to much....yet.

Comparison between Mikkelsen and Hopkins portrayals are apples and oranges as I stated. To me, these two actors have portrayed the character better than anyone else.

As for the dramatic tension high 100% of the time, that's a thing I love about this show. Very few shows I ever watch or love have the stakes high and tensions raised for each episode, every episode. I love the rush.
    Last edited by spaceSuicide; 05-01-2014 at 09:04 AM.

*cough*

I've been a fan of Hannibal since I watched The Silence of the Lambs ... and could understand it. I was 15 when it came out so it probably scared me more than I could understand it. I suspect after I watched it a couple of time and then read the book I was hooked.

When I found out about the series I purchased the Season Pass on iTunes for the first season and haven't looked back! Thanks to the army of Fannibals, that came out of nowhere, the TV series has produced a lot of merchandise (both fan made and official) and my Hannibal collection is growing significantly!

I'm not much for dissecting the episodes as I'm not that good at putting my thoughts/feelings into words, but, if anyone is interested in more discussion on the episodes there is a Hannibal forum that has A LOT of information on Hannibal (books/movies/TV plus more).

Hannibal Studiolo

Needless to say, I LOVE THE SERIES. EVERY LITTLE TASTY BIT OF IT. And what I like even more is that it's produced in Toronto (for now)! That's a mere 2hr drive or train ride from where I live. I've become friends with a young lady who is also a Fannibal, she lives in Toronto and she was able to stalk out one of the outdoor shooting scenes from season 2 ... she got pictures with Mr. Mikkelsen and Mr. Dancy and their autographs of course!

I'll also mention that on Twitter, Manson is following Bryan Fuller and NBC Hannibal. ;)

8. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by J.Lecter View Post
    I'm not much for dissecting the episodes as I'm not that good at putting my thoughts/feelings into words, but, if anyone is interested in more discussion on the episodes there is a Hannibal forum that has A LOT of information on Hannibal (books/movies/TV plus more).
    Let's keep it short, where do you think the series is going to be by the end of the season. the way it's going...

Its as if Will is acting out as an ally and puppet for Hannibal to gain his trust and then thwart him at the end of the season. But how does that stand or land the next supposed 5 seasons? I mean he can get imprisoned with proof at the end of the season and help the FBI out by helping behind bars ala Silence of the lambs style but the show is way too early to keep him locked up this quickly on.

Tonight's episode looks super wicked.

The visuals make the series for me. That's where the humor lies.
    "Even smiling makes my face ache."

IF YOU INTEND TO START WATCHING HANNIBAL NOW OR FROM THE BEGINNING ...
    MAJOR SPOILERS BELOW! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Quote Originally Posted by spaceSuicide View Post
    Let's keep it short, where do you think the series is going to be by the end of the season. the way it's going...

Its as if Will is acting out as an ally and puppet for Hannibal to gain his trust and then thwart him at the end of the season. But how does that stand or land the next supposed 5 seasons? I mean he can get imprisoned with proof at the end of the season and help the FBI out by helping behind bars ala Silence of the lambs style but the show is way too early to keep him locked up this quickly on.

Tonight's episode looks super wicked.
    I agree when you say that Will is acting like an ally and puppet for Hannibal to gain his trust in order to capture him. However, the episode where Katz is killed, Will says to Jack that he has to find the Ripper himself, he (Will), can't tell him. Katz found the Ripper. Miriam found the Ripper. So he, Jack, has to find the Ripper. I think Will is trying to get Hannibal to mess up, even slightly, so that Jack can capture him .... as it will be the last-ish scene in episode 13 of this season. (Remember the opening scene of episode 1.)

Bryan Fuller has mentioned that season 3 (which looks like it will be renewed for!) is going to be Hannibal on the run and his trial. I'm sure there will be other FBI stuff going on, but the core of the season will be Hannibal.

Season 4 = Red Dragon
    Season 5 = The Silence of the Lambs (era .... since he doesn't have access to Clarice Starling, or Barny! .... yet.)
    Season 6 = Hannibal
    Season 7 = A resolve to the book ending of Hannibal

Quote Originally Posted by Alterkaker66
    The visuals make the series for me. That's where the humor lies.
    The visuals are spectacular! So much detail!

Seems like a good direction and detail, your post is spot on with most others I find on the subject of the series' direction.

The last episode was a step up for the more disturbed side of the show I think.

Will Graham's change and willing murder. I don't think he killed Freddie Lounds though, unless he might have for a new reason. I think it was bait to get her away from Hannibal and to kidnap her to keep her quiet. The meat in question wasn't even from her body. I'm in no doubt we'll see her again in some form.

Mason Verger's entrance was an old welcome, especially with his flesh eating pigs already on display. Wonder how his story arc will go and we'll see his face cut off in the near future?

3 episodes left!

I find that, no matter what the fans think is the direction of the show, it always goes a different way .... thanks to Bryan Fullers sick sick mind! LOL!

I agree with you. I don't think Freddie is dead. I think Will is in more control than Hannibal thinks. Since the books are drawn upon so much for imagery and bits of plot, we can't forget that (in the books) after Will caught Hannibal, Will went crazy and was admitted into a psychiatric hospital. I think that is still going to happen, or at least get hinted at during the series. Really, everything that is happening to Will, how could he not end up in a psyc hospital.

The last episode was AWESOME!

I loved the skeleton body AND the sex scene. Probably the one time I wish I was Alana/Margot! As for Mason ... I don't know ... I don't know anymore ... it would be nice to see the face cutting scene (how sick is that!), but I'm not going to try to figure out how it's going to happen.