Nav_image
Nav_image NEWS TOUR BIOGRAPHIES DISCOGRAPHY VIDEOGRAPHY GALLERY INTERVIEWS Nav_image
Nav_image JOURNAL ESSAYS TIMELINE FORUM THEATRE SITE INFO Nav_image
Nav_image

Thread: Gentrification in nyc

Default Gentrification in nyc

Had read a book Love Saves The Day. It's was primarily about a cat, written by an author who owns and lives cats. It was a great read...loved the references to punk, for example. Th author discussed the lower east side, where one of the characters in the book lived much of her adult life. Chapter 13 was devoted to the tearing down of a building in that area. It was based on a true event. Ppl were summarily evacuated from the building...with no prior warning, if I understand correctly. The had no time to gather possessions, and needed items. Worse, some ppl couldn't grab their pets. It was said that 2 cats and a parrot were left inside the building as it was sky balled...damn. That broke my heart and I wept.

There a lot of apt blocks on my street...most of the tenants are bottom feeding lowlifes. However, as much as I detest such people, I'd feel terrible if the same thing happened to them. The people in the building on Stanton St in the lower east side were salt of the earth types...working class and middle class,retirees, some émigrés.

I hate gentrification as it is only affordable to the affluent. Not even the middle class can afford such high rents/mortgages.
    "done bun; can't be undone"

A friend of mine said I can come with him to NYC whose moving there. But IDK if it will actually happen.

That's a horrible thing to contemplate. I imagine the residents were notified at some point but in most cases there is a fight right up to the last minute especially if the person clearing the property hasn't provided options for re-housing. When you're poor you don't have many options if you need to move quickly. Family, shitty weekly rent hotels or missions are about it. My favorite apartment complex in the DC area was summarily emptied and bulldozed in the last decade. It was definitely a place full of salt of the earth types. The new buildings are expensive and sterile, cultureless. I have lived in neighborhoods that were suburban, working class and down on its heels. I never had problems with any of my neighbors, but I will say there were two major drug busts in my "good" suburban neighborhood as well as a murder. Whats a little domestic argument and drinking next to that?
    "Even smiling makes my face ache."

Lol, I'm not surprised about huge drug busts in suburbia. I've seen news items in that very thing.

It's been brutal for people of modest means to live in large urban areas for many decades. Used to be that NYC was affordable to people who were low income.
    A lot of ppl in my city are native nyc-ers. They could no longer comfortably afford housing there. Dunno how ppl manage to live there unless they live in subsidized housing or are affluent. I know many young ppl club in together and stuff themselves many to an apt. I'd even read of a woman who'd rented a closet & lived in it!!!

I have a close friend who lives in a very nice door man bldg but she is a recipient of a "20/80" program. Still, she pays nearly $1100 monthly rent!!! Up here that's rental for luxury apts. The market rate for her unit is Is $2000. Her name is finally rising to the top of the list in a subsidized building called Manhattan plaza.

It's frightening beyond belief what many people are up against when it comes to housing. It's awful to not to be able to count on keeping your home.
    "done bun; can't be undone"

The exact same thing is happening in Toronto. Fucking condos everywhere and interesting quirky city landmarks/venues being lost one by one. Soon downtown will basically be nothing but condos and all the assholes who bought them will have no place to go and nothing to see.
    Cocksuckasaurus.

Married to Suedehead Shangri-LIE's Avatar

It's all about pushing the undesirables into the country and suburban areas where they have all of those private prisons they are waiting to populate people with. Oops, I mean "Residential Centers". Also, if these protesters cause a civil emergency I am going to join the national guard. lol
    OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM