Nav_image
Nav_image NEWS TOUR BIOGRAPHIES DISCOGRAPHY VIDEOGRAPHY GALLERY INTERVIEWS Nav_image
Nav_image JOURNAL ESSAYS TIMELINE FORUM THEATRE SITE INFO Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Labyrinth Sequel Apparently in the Works

Default Labyrinth Sequel Apparently in the Works

http://screenrant.com/labyrinth-movi...enson-company/

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/bi...ch-1201326184/

"[Lisa] Henson explained that her initial efforts at the company were focused on developing its proprietary animation technology and guiding the TV business, which led to the PBS Kids series “Sid the Science Kid” and “Dinosaur Train.” Those shows were followed by the productions of “Doozers,” “Hi Opie!” and “Pajanimals” with the newest projects “Chatter Zoo” and “Splash,” currently in development. On the feature side, the company optioned “Frog and Toad,” based on the four “Frog and Toad” books by Arnold Lobel, two years ago. (Rights to The Muppets were sold to Disney in 2004).
    It’s also working on a quartet of legacy titles in the Henson library — a “Fraggle Rock” movie that’s been in development at New Regency; a sequel to 1982’s “The Dark Crystal”; a sequel to 1986’s “Labyrinth”; and a movie based on the Emmet Otter character."

The ONLY way in which any of this will be even marginally acceptable is if
    - Brian Henson is JUST as heavily involved - if not more so - in the making of the sequel as he was in the original. He is the closest thing we'll ever have to Jim and the original vision for the Labyrinth, and he's the only one who can make it work again.
    - It is not a musical. There are no performances of any songs.
    - Unless David Bowie performs all of the songs. Which I doubt he will sign on to do. But that would be okay then. In fact, that might be wonderful.
    - No stupid fifteen second cameos by Bowie of Jennifer Connelly as a #tbt! to the fans. No.

Also I don't know that this will be possible for them to do without the three Frouds.
    Last edited by FeedYourHead; 10-10-2014 at 02:11 PM.

Administrator
    "Captain Aids"

My first reaction to the news was "if Bowie's not in it, don't do it" and it seems that's what was trending across the internet last night.
    But I've since read that a sequel is always talked about, but it doesn't mean it's happening.

Now I want to watch Labyrinth tonight.

Apparently not in the works...

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/10/10/labyrinth-sequel/

- - - Updated - - -

Hoping that's legit and we can close this thread and never talk about this horrible proposal ever again.

- - - Updated - - -

WOAH! double post automatically switches to an updated single post???

- - - Updated - - -

OH MY GOD THIS IS THE COOLEST EVER

I really enjoy this film, but doesn't it just beg for a more, um, mature remake?
    "Even smiling makes my face ache."

Okay, apparently IS in the works.

Quote Originally Posted by Alterkaker66 View Post
    I really enjoy this film, but doesn't it just beg for a more, um, mature remake?
    No.

I wanna point some things out.

I know Lisa Henson is a retarded cunt on the basis that she's been wanting and planning to do this for years and years, but the fact that they publicly dropped the info regarding the Tristar deal and screenwriter at this particular point in time is seriously despicable. Does anyone know who's responsible for this timing - is it Henson Co, Tristar, both, or neither? Their timing is akin to when Republicans used 9/11 as a convenient disaster to push their own political agendas. And if they were banking on Bowie's passing helping fuel any positive publicity or attention, I hope it's backfiring. I know nobody thought a sequel was a good idea without Bowie even before Bowie's passing, so I'm hoping even less people think it's a decent idea in the wake of his passing.

I'm fucking pissed the screenwritier is basically "from" Marvel. Literally the last thing a sequel needs is to be anything remotely like anything from Marvel.

Why are the director, producer, and overseer at Tristar ALL females??? In 1986 all three of those positions were held by males. In my opinion that's already setting it up to have a tone that is too dramatically different. Some fucking idiot from Marvel is not going write a script like Terry Jones would. Lisa Henson is not going to direct like Jim Henson (clearly because what has she ever done with her life besides benefit from and dismantle her father's empire).

Are the Froud's even going to do the concept art for this one? That's the only thing that could be kept the same at this point. I'm sure the Froud's won't even get asked though, I'm sure it'll be like, Tim Burton or someone else who ruins everything and is awful.

Are there even going to be puppets still? If so they better be engineered by Brian Henson. If there are puppets it seems unlikely that Brian Henson wouldn't be in charge of that though.

Are there going to be Jennifer Connelly and Toby Froud cameos?

I assume they're going to need an actress to play an older Sarah. Who could they even pick who wouldn't be a complete abomination? And I also assume they're going to need someone to play an older Toby.

I also just want to ask why every film I've ever loved has been remade in the last ten years and has basically become a mockery of its former self.

EDIT: I presume this sequel will not be a musical. Actually I shouldn't presume that. It'll probably be Kanye as the goblin king (ooh how progressive, a black goblin king! *eyeroll*) featuring Johnny Depp on guitar. No other instruments or film score - just Kanye West ft. Johnny Depp on guitar.

On a more serious note (Trevor Jones for film score anyone? Actually I think I would prefer the score not to sound anything like the original) I wonder when exactly story-wise this is supposed to take place. Because I don't suppose Bowie would have been reprising his role, and they've been planning on making this movie for a while now, so they have to have something else in mind, or some way to get around that.

Straight from the screenwriter:

"Not 'rebooting' anything, guys," Perlman tweeted. "Henson Co & I started talking in late 2014, so the timing of these rumors is so upsetting. I would never seek to profit from Bowie's death.Labyrinth is my favorite film from childhood, so I share your concerns that any continuation of the world be handled with love and respect."

For what it's worth, Guardians of the Galaxy was actually really good, and I can see the skill-set involved in the craftsmanship of its script translating quite well to something like Labyrinth Pt. 2, or whatever they intend to call it.

Given the absence of Bowie for the role of Jareth, I personally think a really neat approach to continue the story would be Toby himself somehow having become The Goblin King after all, and Sarah's old friends from his realm tracking her down in her adulthood to save her brother again.

That's IF they can get Jennifer Connelly to sign on for it, of course.

Otherwise idk.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazekiah View Post
    Straight from the screenwriter:

"Not 'rebooting' anything, guys," Perlman tweeted. "Henson Co & I started talking in late 2014, so the timing of these rumors is so upsetting. I would never seek to profit from Bowie's death.Labyrinth is my favorite film from childhood, so I share your concerns that any continuation of the world be handled with love and respect."
    Thank you for finding that. I'm confused about why she's calling them "rumors" and why she's crying giant crocodile tears.

And if she had any ounce respect for her favorite "childhood film" she wouldn't be doing any of this. Even the way she refers to it as "favorite childhood film" is enraging and says more than enough.

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Return To Oz was a much better film.

DON'T LET THEM KNOW HOW FAR YOU GO...

30 Anniversary Stuff which is cool but also a shitty as fuck moneygrab by sony as per usual.

I was literally just coming here to post that, lol...should've known you'd beat me to it!

But c'mon, a "moneygrab" would be a straight-up re-release of existing content or w/e. With all the new stuff (commentary/booklet/etc.) and the 4K Ultra upgrade, this is actually pretty awesome. It sounds like this one is practically an archival, Criterion-quality thing so they deserve credit for that, at least.

And you KNOW you're going to buy it anyway so if it's a problem then you're a part of it, lol.