Nav_image
Nav_image NEWS TOUR BIOGRAPHIES DISCOGRAPHY VIDEOGRAPHY GALLERY INTERVIEWS Nav_image
Nav_image JOURNAL ESSAYS TIMELINE FORUM THEATRE SITE INFO Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Labyrinth Sequel Apparently in the Works

If you only realized how many booklets and behind the scenes content and interviews were in all of the other previous editions... And I don't really need commentary by actors' children who weren't even born during or had nothing to do with the film. But it's not so much the dvd that I mind, aside from the fact that it doesn't come out until September 20th and the Labyrinth anniversary is June 27th - it's the goddamn putting it back in theaters bullshit. For the 25th anniversary before Bowie's death, they celebrated with a screening at the museum of moving image WITH brian henson and all three Frouds. This is just dumb. Include some people who actually matter at these screenings if it's really about an anniversary celebration. I am really glad about the 4K aspect though, AND that this is the first time ever that they're putting the original VHS cover photo on a dvd. ...and yes I already pre-ordered it and it is unfair to make me wait beyond June 27th lol.

Administrator
    "Captain Aids"

I don't really need another edition of Labyrinth... but SHUT UP AND TAKE MY FUCKING MONEY!

Thanks for posting the details!

Quote Originally Posted by Norsefire View Post
    I don't really need another edition of Labyrinth...
    I literally don't understand that statement.

K we have to unfortunately come back to this. I'm not going to be able to type as much as I'd like on the matter because I'm stuck on my phone due to my inability to not submerge all of my electronics in water, apparently, so bear with me.
    Labyrinth Sequel Update

First off, fuck you Lisa Henson. Your inheritance does not give you the right to dabble in things that you never had a goddamn thing to do with. Her brother, Brian Henson, played Hoggle in the original film and was also chief puppeteer and would therefore not be terribly out of place if he wanted to try and concoct something like this, but at the moment it does not appear he is involved at all. I hope that changes though; I really hope Brian ends up playing a heavy role in this new one or it won't ever be anything short of an abomination. Same for the Frouds - I don't understand how Lisa Henson thinks she's going to explore this vast fictional world without employing the expertise of said world's creators and designers. And I will admittedly tip my hat to whomever is responsible for the hypothetical Toby Froud cameo I so badly want.

I'm relieved it's not an actual sequel in the sense that it isn't a continuation of the same narrative. Exploring other aspects of the world would definitely be the way to go here if one insists on going at all. It will be so strange though to see any of the peripheral characters in a Sarah/Jareth-less context. It kind of reminds me of Wicked, if that's the way they end up going.

At least there's a new Jareth action figure as well as the reissue of the soundtrack on vinyl to look forward to, and the board game is continually being restocked on several outlets.

Eh. I'll rewatch the original I think. No real interest in a Wicked Two sort of thing. Worked for Wizard of Oz because it subverted the main story so much as to be different .... but. So meh. Make something new for fuck's sake.
    Last edited by Enname; 04-28-2017 at 04:38 PM.
    Quid ignorantia sit multi ignorant.

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

I honestly think you're being way too protective over a film that wasn't really even that good to begin with. Don't get me wrong, I immensely enjoy Labyrinth, but if it hadn't been for David Bowie's characteristic overshadowing of the whole project, I doubt anyone would care if some hackneyed fantasy film from the '80s got a remake.

Again - and I cannot stress enough - I love watching Labyrinth, but no one gets bent out of shape each time The Muppets get a revamp, or Scooby Doo or whatever. It's good, ridiculous fun. Maybe films being remade every twenty or thirty years is the modern version of re-telling fairytales. And yes, I know that still happens too.
    Point being, I'm sure we all have fond memories of the thing, but it certainly wasn't the best film of its genre, or even in a top 100 of things David Bowie achieved during the 1980s. Love it for its ridiculous story and engaging, original content, but putting it on a pedestal is pointless. If a production company worth millions want to re-do it, or add to the extended universe, it's going to happen regardless of people getting irate on the Internet.

DON'T LET THEM KNOW HOW FAR YOU GO...

speed bump mannequin Golden Eel's Avatar

Thank you. Labyrinth is not a good movie.

and with just one faint glance back into the sea
    the mollusk lingers with its wandering eye
      
      

Well Lisa Henson is very quickly assuming the role of “new Bob Iger.” In the past ~7 years there have been an entire graphic novel pseudo-manga series, two different Mouse Guard comics featuring Labyrinth stories, and then either four or five special Labyrinth comics with an assortment of covers produced for the 30th anniversary. And now this.

Labyrinth comic to reveal origins of the Goblin King — exclusive first look

The entire point is to not know the backstory. It makes it mysterious and magical. This is shooting yourself in the foot.

Disclaimer: There are three original Labyrinth comics that were produced along with the movie release in ‘86. Those are legit. Those are awesome. The rest of this retrospective “oh I notice Labyrinth has developed quite a cult following how can we profit from this?” is very much not.

Side note, BlackMilk’s Labyrinth clothing collection is the first one I’ve not only not hated but also genuinely like. It’s really well done and the Froud illustrations tranfer to clothing impeccably. Unfortunately BlackMilk is an Australian company which means their smallest size is a US 2 as opposed to 00 or 0, so therefore my tailor is making more of a profit from me than BlackMilk lol.

Most apparel sold out the first day (yes I had set my alarm) but seriously check out this skirt that’s still available.

And this dress that sold out

Last edited by FeedYourHead; 12-10-2017 at 04:25 PM.