Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image

Thread: The Apple (1980) and Mechanical Animals

Default The Apple (1980) and Mechanical Animals

In 1980, a musical named The Apple was released. It was a different take on the Biblical apocalypse, with the Antichrist looking like Classic Doctor Who's The Master and taking over the world with a giant music label, disco and glam rock. The mark of the beast is a triangle sticker, usually placed on the forehead. The resistance is all hippies. I'm certain Manson has seen it, and enjoyed it. Why?

Those are from when the female lead is being tempted by the Antichrist, in Hell, which is the only place that dress appears. That dress looks familiar.

Additionally, remember what the mark of the beast was? A triangle on the forehead. Additionally, the film was set in 1994, the same year that in real life, Portrait was released. That not enough? The female lead begins as a part of a duo with the male lead, singing unpopular but less synthetic music. After temptation from the Antichrist, she screws over her partner, kicks him out and goes her own way to major fame and acceptance. Or in other words, a more literal interpretation of what happened to Daisy.

If you thought I was joking about him looking like The Master, you were wrong. Also, yes, that is one little horn sprouted from his head.

A musical number that is an ode to speed.

The trailer.

So, yeah, The Apple clearly had some influence on Mechanical Animals.

2. Like 5 Member(s) liked this post

Great find. I am interested in seeing this.

4. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    A Mental Revolution Nemoris Inferioris's Avatar
    Follow Nemoris Inferioris On Twitter Add Nemoris Inferioris on Facebook Visit Nemoris Inferioris's Youtube Channel

The triangle sticker.... The 15 computer keys on the Omega symbol. Great find. ill look more into this.

Yeah, it's not a great movie by any stretch, but it does seem tied to Mechanical Animals. A singer goes from heartfelt music with the partner to soulless music with the Antichrist, sings anthems to drugs, goes to hell for a segment, and she's ultimately redeemed and lifted out (in this case, literally by god). It reminds me of Manson talking about developing emotions for the first time in a long time after Antichrist Superstar and into Mechanical Animals, with the redeeming thing. I'd love to see if someone spots other MA outfits in it. Oh, and I was wrong about the dress only being in Hell. During the song "Master" (it's like they WANTED him to be connected with The Master), she has it on and puts a white shawl(?) over it like the goat-head thing Manson uses, but without the goats (obviously).

Oh, and the alternate title is "Star Rock".

"The Apple" musical number, in Hell, with the dress.
    Last edited by HG131; 10-15-2014 at 05:33 PM.