Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'The Mephistopheles of Los Angeles' & Howard Gossage - The Socrates of San Francisco

Default 'The Mephistopheles of Los Angeles' & Howard Gossage - The Socrates of San Francisco

I have absolutely zero time to try to fit these two quizzical puzzle pieces together before I have to run off to work, but I thought I might leave this thought here in hopes someone can make sense of it or downright refute it before I can.

I picked up a book not two weeks ago titled The Book of Gossage, which is half-biography, half-homage to Howard Gossage a famous figurehead in the advertising world during the Mad Men era. He was called "the Socrates of San Francisco," was wildly inventive, an innovator in the field, and a public figure to boot.

The new Manson track "The Mephistopheles of Los Angeles" made me think of this immediately.

I have to run, but I'll revisit this thread with some more thoughts on how these two might be connected.

2. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Married to Suedehead Shangri-LIE's Avatar
    Follow Shangri-LIE On Twitter

Don't jump the gun, but we look forward to your thoughts. Don't lead us to temptations. It could be fatal.
    Last edited by Shangri-LIE; 11-11-2014 at 07:40 AM.
    OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

4. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Mephistopheles is a demon commonly featured in German folklore. He originally appeared in literature as the demon in the Faust legend, and he has since appeared in other works as a stock character version of Satan. Heads up.

6. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Dr Google is in this bitch!

8. Like 4 Member(s) liked this post

AKA the antichrist or thought provoker, like Socrates, roams in LA.

A Mental Revolution Nemoris Inferioris's Avatar
    Follow Nemoris Inferioris On Twitter Add Nemoris Inferioris on Facebook Visit Nemoris Inferioris's Youtube Channel

ACSS + HW = TPE?

Mephistopheles flying.

Looks like Cupid...

MM's visual of "Cupid Carries A Gun"?
    Memento Mori
    You Pays Your Money, You Takes Your Choice.
    619208 919 4514
    -The Divine Trickster-
    I Was Invited To Eat The Young
    It's A Poor Sort Of Memory That Only Works Backwards.

It does not look like Cupid. if anything Lucifer, but it depends on your perception of what looks 'demonic.'

A Mental Revolution Nemoris Inferioris's Avatar
    Follow Nemoris Inferioris On Twitter Add Nemoris Inferioris on Facebook Visit Nemoris Inferioris's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Shock Hazard View Post
    It does not look like Cupid. if anything Lucifer, but it depends on your perception of what looks 'demonic.'
    What i meant was, MM's song is "Cupid Carries A Gun", which might represent the Evil side of Cupid. Perhaps not. It does look like Lucifer. Which is another word for Satan, Devil, Evil, whatever. Cupid Carrying a gun with him, and Shoots people to fall in love. Which may be perceived by MM as a Evil figure. Which might look similar to that ^. Put a Bow/Gun in its hand, what would you see.

Cupid Also had wings.
    Memento Mori
    You Pays Your Money, You Takes Your Choice.
    619208 919 4514
    -The Divine Trickster-
    I Was Invited To Eat The Young
    It's A Poor Sort Of Memory That Only Works Backwards.

13. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Cupid carrying a gun is more of a modernized depiction of the figure. Since love is considered irrational, the bullet wounds instead of arrows just as well penetrates and inflames the heart. Typically cupid has a young boyish figure. I guess from another prospective he could be a grown man with devilish horns and claws, but it may distort his whole image.

To be technical, Lucifer was not the same figure as Satan, but had similar treatment. I think the Mephistopheles demon here is meant to represent all that opposes good like the Antichrist, along with the irrationalities of love. Probably treated individually from Cupid but all part of the main theme Manson has always perpetuated. I guess we'll find out more once the lyrics are released.

15. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Original AIDS provider.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemoris Inferioris View Post
    Cupid Carrying a gun with him, and Shoots people to fall in love.
    I've got a crush on a pretty pistol.
    My avatar looks like a mix of NIN, My Chemical Romance, and Chris Vrenna

17. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post