Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was the idea for a coherent storyline there from the start?

Default Was the idea for a coherent storyline there from the start?

I know it's against company policy to link to any hypothetical ACSS demos out there, but this is an intellectual itch I've had for a long time, and I don't think referencing them will hurt anyone.

Along with the classic songs we know and love, several other tracks were recorded during the studio sessions for Antichrist Superstar for inclusion on the record, and not all of them seem congruous with the story of the development of Worm into Man(son) we all know and love.

Take "Suicide Snowman", a Spooky Kids holdover. It's a song that, on the least metaphorical level, is about a snowman at a beach who gets depressed looking at girls and lets himself melt. A good song, a fine song, though I actually think it sounds better in its pre-Portrait incarnation,but nothing obviously relevant to the story of the Antichrist Superstar as told by the finalized track order. Including a metaphorical song about a dying snowman on a metaphorical album about the Antichrist seems like a case of, well, badly mixed metaphors.

I won't go into detail about the unreleased tracks written specifically for the record, except to say that none of the songs particularly advance the concept album element of the project. In fact, some of the songs especially relating to the story, like "The Reflecting God", are not present on the demos.

So: do we think Antichrist Superstar was always a pseudoautobiographical tale, or did that aspect evolve in a more organic manner as the recording progressed?

I think there probably always were certain autobiographical elements in the concept, but probably not a great deal more than were present in Portrait, and the cyclical storyline seems pretty absent from the early incarnations of Antichrist Svperstar. It's definitely a record whose purpose became a lot more refined and developed throughout the course of its constriction.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by The Overman; 11-25-2014 at 04:34 AM.

2. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    A Mental Revolution Nemoris Inferioris's Avatar
    Follow Nemoris Inferioris On Twitter Add Nemoris Inferioris on Facebook Visit Nemoris Inferioris's Youtube Channel

I think Suicide Snowman might of been written long before ACSS. There is a reason why the irrelevant songs aren't on the album. SS sounds like it would be the around SLC era. MM had the idea in his head since High School. But as he got closer to the project, he realized that the story was parallel to his own. I don't see him knowing that there would be a trilogy. He saw that after MA. The demos were demos. The lyrics were thought of later.
    Memento Mori
    You Pays Your Money, You Takes Your Choice.
    619208 919 4514
    -The Divine Trickster-
    I Was Invited To Eat The Young
    It's A Poor Sort Of Memory That Only Works Backwards.

4. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

It makes sense when you consider Marilyn Manson as the mouthpiece for Portrait Of An American Family, and Antichrist Superstar as the mouthpiece for Marilyn Manson.

Prior to conceiving ...Superstar, Manson was letting his music and lyrics articulate through him, the commentaries were external, generally concerning what he observed rather than the effect those things had upon him. Antichrist Superstar took a more complex approach, hypothesising how the issues discussed during Portrait... might be interpreted by an End Of Days character. With that in mind, I would surmise that the creation of Antichrist Superstar as linear story and consolidated fictional figure was something that required the experiences of Portrait... and Smells Like Children in order to fully formulate.
    Yes, we are aware that certain phrases, concepts, pieces of music, lyrics, and predictions were all in Manson's line of vision years before ...Superstar, but they were not fully realised as a creative endeavour until the band were on the road in 1995. That's why Manson was fond of ambiguous statements like 'Did I write Antichrist Superstar or did Antichrist Superstar write me?' [paraphrased].
    Embellished though it is, The Long Hard Road Out Of Hell teaches us that fundamentally, Brian Warner and Marilyn Manson were products of a sheltered, adolescent, nostalgic, institutionalised Middle American upbringing, which is exactly the terrain ...Superstar explores, like a Televangelist interpreting The Bible.

So yes, there was a coherent storyline there from the beginning, but it had to be lived before manifesting as Antichrist Superstar.
    "the Serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which
    the LORD god had made
    "

m e m e n t o m o r i . p o s t m o r t e m

6. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

"Suicide Snowman" was certainly written before Antichrist Svperstar was conceived: it dates to, if I recall correctly, 1992.

Also, the existence of a recorded demo for an intro to the album that does not contain the "when you are suffering..." line from Crowley suggests, to me, that Antichrist Superstar was not initially conceived of as cycling from."Irresponsible Hate Anthem" to "Track 99" to "Irresponsible Hate Anthem". For that matter it suggests the album that was initially conceived was linear, else there'd be a "when you are suffering..." somewhere in that intro. But there isn't.

Make sense?

In other words, there was almost an intro on the record which would have done away with the repetitive/time travel discourse on that album, by virtue of not linking up to the outro.
    Last edited by The Overman; 11-25-2014 at 04:13 PM.

8. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Administrator
    IN gOD WE TRUST
    Follow Cringeon On Twitter Add Cringeon on Facebook Visit Cringeon's Instagram Channel

If you are referring to Scott's "intro" that was rejected. It's now a SMP solo track on his new album or some shit. The story's nature might have been plotted before the sonics, so yes maybe they didn't know how they were going to loop the album but we don't know. Part of going into the studio is creating things that achieve what you want to set out to do.

10. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Yeah, that's it.

No, trust me, I think firing Scott is the best move the band could have made. My impression, based on innuendo and Chinese whispers, is that Scott fought against ACSS being anything other than a collection of unrelated, Portrait-like tracks, and that Mr. Manson overruled him.

And I'm very thankful for it. My assumption is that only when it became "the Marilyn Manson show", to quote Wes, that the original vision was realized.
    Last edited by The Overman; 11-25-2014 at 04:24 PM.

12. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Follow Nemoris Inferioris On Twitter Add Nemoris Inferioris on Facebook Visit Nemoris Inferioris's Youtube Channel

Lucy In The Sky With Demons was also written/recorded in 1991-1992. Has lyrics to Man That You Fear, and Angel With The Scabbed Wings. He had it for awhile.
    Memento Mori
    619208 919 4514
    -The Divine Trickster-

14. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Married to Suedehead Shangri-LIE's Avatar
    Follow Shangri-LIE On Twitter

Nope. It was a social experiment and a very, um, clever "marketing scheme". #FilesNailsAndHatesTheWorld= LOL - I just explained all of this in my latest analysis of the record.
    OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

16. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Eat Internet Primadonnas
    Follow Penance Sentence On Twitter Add Penance Sentence on Facebook Follow Penance Sentence on Tumblr Visit Penance Sentence's Youtube Channel Visit Penance Sentence's Instagram Channel

Shangri "FUCKING" Lie in action, baby!

Shangri "FUCKING" Lie!

18. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by S.D. View Post
    It makes sense when you consider Marilyn Manson as the mouthpiece for Portrait Of An American Family, and Antichrist Superstar as the mouthpiece for Marilyn Manson.
    MARILYN MANSON - antichrist svperstar

ANTICHRIST SVPERSTAR - marilyn manson
    Memento Mori
    619208 919 4514
    -The Divine Trickster-

20. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post