Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Was the idea for a coherent storyline there from the start?

Original AIDS provider.

I daresay there was some kind of idea there, but it no doubt developed quite a bit as time went on. In TLHROOH, he claims he made up the character of Marilyn Manson as a person who lured in others to trust him, only to use that trust to betray and hurt them. This is not a far cry from the most basic storyline of the Triptych, that of a rebel who becomes a celebrity, and uses his fame and adoration to ruin others. Also in the book, Manson makes comment that it was only when he and Twiggy finished writing (while on the road for SLC) that he looked back and realized the story they had written.

What I've always kind of assumed is that he had a rough outline of what he wanted to do, but it was only as he lived out the years of his life leading up to recording ACSS, and the process of actually making it, that he finalized all the details to arrive at the album we know.

A better example of this that I usually give is actually Holy Wood. I'm sure that Manson knew that he wanted to make that album from the time he made ACSS, or at least MA. I'm sure the most basic themes were something bouncing around in his head for years previous, but he couldn't have known Columbine would happen. That event shaped his ideas in to something related to, yet different, from his original seed of an idea.
    My avatar looks like a mix of NIN, My Chemical Romance, and Chris Vrenna

2. Like 4 Member(s) liked this post
    Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Quote Originally Posted by The Empirical Guy View Post
    A better example of this that I usually give is actually Holy Wood. I'm sure that Manson knew that he wanted to make that album from the time he made ACSS, or at least MA. I'm sure the most basic themes were something bouncing around in his head for years previous, but he couldn't have known Columbine would happen. That even shaped his ideas in to something related to, yet different, from his original seed of an idea.
    I think this is perhaps why people are so fond of Mechanical Animals. Nestled in-between Antichrist and Holy Wood, it seems like the most unique album of the three because it didn't appear to be 'influenced' by anything. Many critics described it like a 'clean slate', with its polished, seamless terrain in direct contrast to the decay and perversion of ...Superstar.
    The reality is that not one of the three albums says or does anything truly revelatory, or even anything new. There's nothing in Antichrist that cannot be gleaned from Faust, nothing on ...Animals that Valley Of The Dolls or Sunset Boulevard didn't already explore, nothing about Holy Wood that the discerning eye couldn't observe in footage of Waco, reading The Bible, or understanding the basics of American politics. What does make the trilogy unique, spectacular, and unrivalled, is Manson's ability to take those ideas and consolidate them in a modern diorama. He preyed on the fact that Americans have deliberately made themselves more stupid; a nation with more wealth and access to information at its fingertips than any other country on the planet, and they've still fucked it up. Manson's commentaries are relevant and concise, chiefly because they address a specific set of concerns that you could figure out after watching the news for half-an-hour.
    "the Serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which
    the LORD god had made
    "

m e m e n t o m o r i . p o s t m o r t e m

4. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post
    Add S.Hal0mega.B on Facebook Visit S.Hal0mega.B's Youtube Channel

Well Said.

"Our less well-developed physical senses, vis-a-vis our limited perception of the electromagnetic spectrum, aka reality - would be responsible for our reliance on reality and all that we define by it."
    'Joelle'