Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creator, Preserver, Destroyer... Eastern Religious Influence

Default Creator, Preserver, Destroyer... Eastern Religious Influence

Creator Preserver Destroyer. Ask which one I am.
    While many have looked at the above song quote as mentioning the Hindu trinity of Bramha;the creator; Vishnu;the preserver; and Shiva;the destroyer. There is one other way to see it, as Ganesha and a nod to the Ganapatya Sect which is another branch of Hinduism. They see Ganesha as containing all three aspects in one.
    Even a recent phot shows Manson, with a red open circle on his forehead, and with trails from his eyes down. The psychedelic picture creates a pattern that makes Manson’s face distort and look like he has an elephant’s trunk. The red circle on his forehead along with the trunk, tricks the eye into seeing Ganesha. He even has what looks like a single tusk on one side of his face due to the optical illusion.
    While for some that last image may be considered a stretch, there are other times the band has given a nod to Hnduism. Twiggy was wearing a tilaka at a conference in Lithuania wile dressed in modest clothing. I use the term Tilaka instead of bindi because the bindi is literally just a dot and translates as such. It is easy to confuse the shape of the tilaka Twiggy wore as being a bullet wound since he used the traditional red coloring. However, it is just a traditional religious symbol.
    Even in the past Manson has utilized other imagery from India. During the Sweet Dreams video the character with the dreaded clock hair had a black bindi. Which may have just been an accident created by a random make up artist for color value for the video. However it is a beautiful choice and without the bindi the image would have been lacking something.
    In the song “Third Day of a Seven Day Binge” when Manson does the MMMMmmmm sound in the chorus it is as if he is chanting OM. The OM is a chant that is used to send a vibration through the body, similliar to how music itself can, but a person can do this without any help from technology. The sound itself is the shakti or divine energy combining the creator, preserver, and liberation or destroyer. Since the focus is on the Mmm sound, means focus on the destruction or liberation.
    Since I have started to study meditation and reading different breathing patterns, I have come to realize that there are similliar patterns in manson’s body of work. Several off of EMDM, the most prominent one being You Me and The Devil Makes Three. In order to help the listener keep breath and learn how to breathe during meditation Manson counts 1.2.3 which makes it easy to stay mindful. In No Reflection he says he wont bother counting 123 and true to form in the next song Pistol Whipped, he does another breathing exercise, he does not count. Again its easier for the listener to follow the breathing pattern and stop before becoming light headed and queasy.
    As I started reading about meditation, I would read that the purpose of meditation is not to keep your head empty, but to allow your thoughts to flow in and out or around. You have to disengage from them. You can be aware of them but not own them.
    While keeping this in mind, sometimes thoughts are persistent, and to stay focused you use mantras to refocus and/or retrain your brain pattern. I picked up on the use of mantras during EMDM, especially during the song “Just a Car Crash Away”. Without getting to personal, the repitition of certain lyrics become a focus to recenter the brain. On THEOL, Leave a Scar has the repitition worthy of a mantra. And so does Devour “My pain is not ashamed to repeat itself.”
    While this is more Buddhist based than Hindu, it still shows how Manson has paid homage to Eastern religions in a positive way. That is the beauty of Mason’s work. There are so many levels to it that you can look and you can dig and you never know what is there. Because as you evolve, so does your understanding of the music. That is what heralds true art from pop culture. The layers make the meaning universal, but not in a bland way like a remote, but in the way that will speak to me, my children and his children. There will always be something for each generation to understand and enjoy or learn from.

2. Like 3 Member(s) liked this post

Very nice and I can see and understand all of the examples that you have given to underline your thoughts.

4. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

That is an interesting suggestion, as Manson has made use of the symbolism of the Chakras. Thank you!

That also explains the blue circle on his head from a few months ago. I had trouble figuring out why he was using blue. The third eye chakra is a dark blue.

I feel , that eastern religious are sometimes hard to understand and a bit mysterious to people that are not exposed to it. And studying them a bit even I feel overwhelmed with everything. But after awhile it gets easier to grasp.
    I am sure there are more instances of things I do not understand
    And I appreciate everyone who has taken the time to read this entry.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercurius View Post
    That is an interesting suggestion, as Manson has made use of the symbolism of the Chakras. Thank you!
    How so?

http://www.nachtkabarett.com/ihvh/img/lotus.jpg

"I feel , that eastern religious are sometimes hard to understand and a bit mysterious to people that are not exposed to it. And studying them a bit even I feel overwhelmed with everything. But after awhile it gets easier to grasp. "

The symbolism of eastern religions is extremely complex and multifaceted, just as alchemical symbolism. I have studied both, but still cannot rid myself of the feeling that my "knowledge" is still extremely superficial.

8. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Mercurius View Post
    http://www.nachtkabarett.com/ihvh/img/lotus.jpg

\
    The symbolism of eastern religions is extremely complex and multifaceted, just as alchemical symbolism. I have studied both, but still cannot rid myself of the feeling that my "knowledge" is still extremely superficial.
    I have a lot of trouble trying to understand alchemy.
    Break something down and build it back ...thats the gist right?

Also...the new video..i see it as the kundalini serpent and the contortions are reminiscent of sex or yoga. Thats just a first impression though and how wrong those can be.

10. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

I have to think that this is more of Twiggy's influence over Manson here, but just because of some of Twiggy's dressing and tattoo's and early social media scribblings. But, we did see this earlier in the Sweet Dreams video, as you have shown with the picture. It also seemed to show up moreso once Twiggy was reunited with Manson and they recorded the album, THEOTL.

12. Like 4 Member(s) liked this post

I can see it being a Twiggy influence.
    They balance each other very well.

14. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

[QUOTE=Elizabeth Casto;181733]I have a lot of trouble trying to understand alchemy.
    Break something down and build it back ...thats the gist right?

Alchemy basically consist of a theoretical part and a practical part. The practical part tackles the idea of elemental tranfiguration, or turning "ignoble" or inferior metals into Gold, eventually creating the philosopher´s stone. The theoretical part, however, is more of a psychological process, in which transcending to a hiher level of consciousness is the main aim. And then, of course, there is wonderful alchemical mediaval art and modern artists as the unrivaled Leonora Carrington, who made use of alchemical symbols, not to mention Manson.

Your interpretation of the latest music video seems plausible- the accentuated spine and the Serpent of kundalini... I still didnt find anything, except for the pharao-like appearance which would also match the title of the Album, "Pale Emperor" and the elongated fingernail at a promo picture (which is only a metal Accessoire, thank heavens ), which indicated aristocracy in ancient China, as far as I know.

But we´ll have to wait for the Album to come out, I suppose.
    Last edited by Mercurius; 12-20-2014 at 04:33 AM.

16. Like 4 Member(s) liked this post

yea i guess we are supposed to wait...
    the elongated fingernail? I feel like i missed something there.
    you make alchemy understandable. thank you for taking the time to clarify.

18. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post