Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Age of Manipulation: The Con in Confidence, The Sin in Sincere

Interesting to note, this book blasts behaviorism (something I, as a psych major, find awesome to see more of), and it's true that at the time behaviorism was the dominant field of psychology, although Manson has always supported the unconscious, which modern psychologists are back to studying and working to understand after being sidetracked by idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by Manson15Marilyn View Post
    Here come the conspiracy theories. *braces for impact*
    Not quite sure over what, other than Manson intentionally trolling us. The religious loons are too scared to come here. Manson himself just seems to have to decided to direct us to this book, which clearly inspired a lot of his message throughout the last 26 years. It coined "The Beautiful People" for him, it came up with a lot of his philosophy about the media, it inspired Holy Wood, it's a pretty major work for Manson fans, and I think between no Nachtkabarett work on Born Villain and us missing this book for so long, he decided to make it more obvious for us.

This is part of the conclusion, and Manson obviously took it to heart.

Well, I just finished the book and it was a fantastic read. Please, read it, and discuss what sticks out to you. I did as I read.

Part One, or The Decent
    Part Two, or An Argument For This Being The Celebritarian Bible
    Part Three, or Jesus' Giant Throbbing Penis
    Last edited by HG131; 01-04-2015 at 01:12 PM.

2. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post
    Not man enough to b human Manson15Marilyn's Avatar

Yes. Manson is speaking to us through secret codes in his song lyrics. When is mother ship due to arrive, btw?
    I am your vulture, your immoral sculpture, mirrorman who understands. I know you. I am you, your fantasy, reality.

Don't be surprised I can look you in the eye. It's hard to take you serious when you take me inside.

How the fuck are we supposed to know when I'm a monster in the way you refuse to die? How the fuck are we supposed to know if we're in love or if we're in pain?
    "Are we in love or are we in pain?"

I was going to read this anyway, when I heard that Manson recommended it, but with all that you have provided for us in this thread, I am really looking forward to what it provides as insight into Manson's lifelong career, in particular. I must say that I am not surprised, I have always admired Manson for his brain and have always wanted to have a list of books that he would suggest.
    From what I can gather before reading this book, I do not feel that what I will find from the information itself, will be of such surprise, I find that by growing up, all of the magic in life that you have grown and been manipulated to believe, comes crashing down and disappoints. I have found this to be certain in just about every area of life. Wisdom is bitter but yet, I am thirsty for it.

5. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Not man enough to b human Manson15Marilyn's Avatar

I think it's a good book as it is, and not because it ties into Manson and Co.

Key's books are always thought-provoking and well written, in my opinion. I've always had an interest in psychology and sociology so things like this peak my interest.
    I am your vulture, your immoral sculpture, mirrorman who understands. I know you. I am you, your fantasy, reality.

Don't be surprised I can look you in the eye. It's hard to take you serious when you take me inside.

How the fuck are we supposed to know when I'm a monster in the way you refuse to die? How the fuck are we supposed to know if we're in love or if we're in pain?
    "Are we in love or are we in pain?"

7. Like 3 Member(s) liked this post

Key's books are always thought-provoking and well written, in my opinion. I've always had an interest in psychology and sociology so things like this peak my interest.
    Yes, this subject matter itself is of interest to me, as well.

9. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

Yes. Manson is speaking to us through secret codes in his song lyrics. When is mother ship due to arrive, btw?
    It's not the first time he's put absurd numbers of references into his works. The Nachtkabarett wouldn't exist if it was. He's compared his art to that of a serial killer before, and I think I get it now. It's that same obsessive attention to detail that both have. Most artists out there put work into their stuff, sure, but very, very few alive put so much that over twenty years are spent, hundreds of essays, thousands of hours, are spent dissecting it. Manson's music has almost always had a message, and more effort put into it's content than seems humanly possible at times. My mind is pretty much in a permanent state of blown after reading so much of The Nachtkabarett.

Quote Originally Posted by blue angel View Post
    I was going to read this anyway, when I heard that Manson recommended it, but with all that you have provided for us in this thread, I am really looking forward to what it provides as insight into Manson's lifelong career, in particular. I must say that I am not surprised, I have always admired Manson for his brain and have always wanted to have a list of books that he would suggest.
    From what I can gather before reading this book, I do not feel that what I will find from the information itself, will be of such surprise, I find that by growing up, all of the magic in life that you have grown and been manipulated to believe, comes crashing down and disappoints. I have found this to be certain in just about every area of life. Wisdom is bitter but yet, I am thirsty for it.
    That's exactly how I felt about it, minus being motivated by my posts, because that would require a time paradox.

I think it's both, and I think my interest can be summed up by my major.

Also, considering the amount of views and likes vs. replies, I feel like I just gave the forum homework. I'm sorry for that one.
    Last edited by HG131; 01-04-2015 at 10:05 PM.

11. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

That was an incredibly well written post! Dont forget to take time and let things sink in because brain over load is worse than brain freeze. This post deserves more recognition. If you follow his facebook post and read page 15...the first paragraph at the top of the page kinda sums up how the majority will react to reading /this book. Its disheartening. Write as much as you want but dont spoon feed people or they will choke.
    Also...when I was in Chicago... I met Manson and asked him for a book to read..he told me to read the psychopath's bible by christopher hyatt. check it out..you can find it on the web...i wont say much else..as I dont really talk.

13. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Casto View Post
    That was an incredibly well written post! Dont forget to take time and let things sink in because brain over load is worse than brain freeze. This post deserves more recognition. If you follow his facebook post and read page 15...the first paragraph at the top of the page kinda sums up how the majority will react to reading /this book. Its disheartening. Write as much as you want but dont spoon feed people or they will choke.
    Also...when I was in Chicago... I met Manson and asked him for a book to read..he told me to read the psychopath's bible by christopher hyatt. check it out..you can find it on the web...i wont say much else..as I dont really talk.
    Thanks, and yeah, several times while reading I went and relaxed and let it sink in. Also, which Facebook post, from who? Because that's kinda vague and Facebook posts don't have pages, they just scroll. I'm downloading that book now.

Oh, and something that should be mentioned, the book talks of every human having a built in death wish. "At least my death wish will come true".

15. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

I was talking about Manson's facebook post from yesterday
    Snake handler? Snake charmer?

Repent? Serpent?

A god or Guardian?

Today, open the nearest literary book you see to page 15.
    Read.

hey coincidences happen..but odd coincidences make me want to buy a lotto ticket

Frued talked about death wishes too.
    Its a common idea that man wishes to destroy himself to alleviate anxieties.
    Last edited by Elizabeth Casto; 01-05-2015 at 12:43 AM.

17. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

Ahh, I didn't see that one before. Just tried it, I had HG Wells "The Invisible Man", and it was just about the Invisible Man's luggage full of books. Yay for meta.

Decided to try it with my nearest non-fiction, "The Dangerous Book For Boys". It's just about the Prime Meridian and then how to tell the age of a tree. Let's not try cutting Manson down to check his age.

Whoops, missed a closer non-fiction. A German to English/English to German dictionary. Page 15 is the beginning of the section on numbers. More meta.

You know, that sums up my life right there. Too much meta madness to properly elaborate.

Dickginas. Why on Earth is that how I'm starting this part? Simple! I avoided rewatching Deep Six while reading the book, and now I just went to rewatch it with the lessons taught in the book. Suddenly, the tubes are obviously dickginias. What does that mean? Why does Chrome accept that as a word? Well, that I have no idea, but look at the opening of the tubes. It's not a cylinder. It's a wide open vagina. Manson's chin when he's in it is at the clitorial hood, otherwise it's quite obvious when he's not in it, due to the fact it's peaked up there. The tubes are dicks ending in vaginas. Quite fitting with this book. The fact that most of us are seeing the reference in the reference and not the reference is why the video seems weird for the song .We're thinking it from the Greek metaphor view when he wants us to think of it from the view of what the song is inspired by, this book. Besides for the numerous references in the song to the book, and even more in his career, the song isn't about Greek mythology or his life, something we were expecting. The song is about media mind control.

"It's like a stranger had a key/came inside of my mind/and moved all my things around"

That's a perfect description of the subliminal control done by the media that is discussed in this book. The book is all about how strangers get inside your mind and play with it and manipulate it. The song's not about Greek myths, it's just quoting the book. Hence the "love is evol/con is confidence/eros is sore/sin is sincere" part. The additions are about love and lust, two sides of the same coin that are often mistaken for being the same. Both can be reversed into another statement. Both are similar, but not the same, and they both fit Manson's life, too. Another subliminal joke done by Manson on us is the echo effect used in the song. The lyric goes

"Deep six/six feet deep"

However, that's not how it sounds, and you might not notice. With the echo, it's

"Deep six six six/six feet deep"

A call back to the more antireligious songs of yesteryear. Furthermore, examine Manson's outfit without the jacket. A white shirt, and a black collar. Flip the colors in your head. Black shirt, black pants, white collar. A priest. Manson is dressed as an inverted priest. Or, to just hammer it in if the point isn't made, a Reverend for the Church of Satan. The song and video work on several levels, just as the book describes to us. Musically, it's a good, badass song with mythological references for the fandom. Deeper than that, it's referencing a work that influenced him. In the video, it's using the tactics described in that work on the audience, putting the antireligious symbols and sexual imagery on the subliminal level, rather than the conscious level. The video is deeply sexual, with an H.R. Geiger vibe, but besides for the rather tame female nudity, it's not actually overtly sexual, especially not to the level of videos past. However, what at times is literally staring us in the face as we miss it is a dickginia.

And it's not letting me edit my previous posts to link here. Grrrrr

Part Two, or An Argument For This Being The Celebritarian Bible
    Part Three, or Jesus' Giant Throbbing Penis
    Part Four, or The Fall of The House of Death

Right, it still won't let me edit posts, it keeps having some error and sending me to the main providermodule.com, and furthermore, it won't even load in Chrome, I had to use a different browser, even after restarting.
    Last edited by HG131; 01-05-2015 at 06:25 AM.

19. Like 3 Member(s) liked this post