Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: THE PALE EMPEROR - FAN REVIEWS (CONTAINS SPOILERS)

I am another yourself. Dronepool's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Overman View Post
    By the way, does anyone else really want to see "Slave Only Dreams To Be King" become a podium song live, like "Antichrist Superstar" and "The Love Song"? I could even see them bring out the podium, teaser the ACSS intro, then break out into "Slave" instead.
    How about that rising platform from GGG?

That could work too, though the trailing costume should be different from the bishop's robe he traditionally used, just to vary the theatrics up a bit. That song has a very Protestant, hellfire-and-brimstone feel to me.

One other thing I want to add: Manson is known for having strong opening and closing tracks on each record, and this is no exception. "Killing Strangers x" is my favorite Manson opener since "Godeatgod", maybe since "Great Big White World x", and "Odds Of Even" is my favorite closing song since "EAT ME, DRINK ME". The former feels like the song that plays at the climax of a terrific drama, and the latter is like a personal letter you don't ever send.

yt? h

THE

THE x"
    Last edited by The Overman; 01-12-2015 at 12:26 AM.

3. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

I've just smoked some pineapple express, and I've listened to this entire album...
    and I'm givin' it a 10 fucking 10.

Odds of Even has a very mesmerizing outro. Holy fucking shit.

5. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    I am another yourself. Dronepool's Avatar

1st listen-

This could just be the Mechanical Animals of this decade. This is the bravest *musical* adventure the band went on since... dare I say 1998. This cares less for the awesome but familiar soft, heavy, soft layout and focuses on the music other than the distorted guitar. This takes some elements from Holy Wood and The Resident Evil Score with the best ideas from Eat Me, Drink Me, High End of Low and Born Villain and mutates them into the beast known as the Pale Emperor.

7. Like 6 Member(s) liked this post

I think it's a great album. Despite its length it feels short for a Manson album with only ten songs.

My favourite tracks are:
    Killing Strangers
    The Mephistopheles of Los Angeles
    Cupid Caries a Gun
    Odds of Even

The aforementioned songs are of a quality that I haven't really heard since Holy Wood.

The rest of the album is also very good. Birds of Hell Awaiting is my least favourite; it feels more like an interlude or something that serves to break the momentum of the album.

I'd probably rate the album 8.5 out of 10.
    Last edited by SangreV; 01-12-2015 at 12:43 AM.

Add Akhenaten on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by BlueEyeLens View Post
    I've just smoked some pineapple express, and I've listened to this entire album...
    and I'm givin' it a 10 fucking 10.

Odds of Even has a very mesmerizing outro. Holy fucking shit.
    Fucking oath. Personally, I prefer his singing on the acoustic version (Day 3) as well as 'Fated, Faithful, Fatal' (the Mephistopheles acoustic). I almost wish he'd left both of those tracks stripped down like that, as i think his voice truly shines without the layering. All a matter of opinion though.

That said, I love it all, minus Birds of Hell Awaiting.

Warship My Wreck takes his voice to fucking incredible new levels… and I believe there's a lot of subliminal aspects to the way he sings certain things, which have been discussed in another topic in the Analysis board.

Devil Beneath My Feet is dripping with confidence and swagger.

Slave Only Dreams to be King has to be one of my favourites as well. Fascinating lyrics… and i love the syncopation of his vocals. An ear worm, for sure.

I'm already deeply in love with the singles.

Also, Cupid Carries a Gun grabbed me by the balls and still hasn't let go. it's kinda starting to hurt.

I must say, in closing, that Tyler Bates' subtle flourishes of lead guitar throughout the album are an absolute fucking delight. We're lucky the two men met… what a fucking splendid collaboration. i'm very excited to be a fan.

EDIT: Killing strangers is so fucking Doors-esque. Again… dat lead. *creams*
    Last edited by Akhenaten; 01-12-2015 at 12:55 AM.
    The livin' are dead and I hope to join them too. I know what to do and I do it well.

10. Like 3 Member(s) liked this post

Well I caved, glad the bonus tracks aren't available for stream. But I have to say "WOW" this is the best record I've heard in years. Not just speaking about exclusively Manson either. This is just a damn good album. Can't wait for my Deluxe Edition to arrive!!!
    A system organized around the weakest qualities of individuals will produce these same qualities in its leaders.

12. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post
    Follow Iulian On Twitter Add Iulian on Facebook Follow Iulian on Tumblr Visit Iulian's Instagram Channel

Killer album, I can see it on repeat in my house for a long time. Most tunes were a hit for me from the first listen and the others grew on me. I donīt like Birds of Hell Awaiting, though. Odds of Even is a favorite after at first I thought it was boring. My bad. Slave Only Dream To Be King is alright, Warship My Wreck has a cool ending, but the first part is a bit monotonous.

The rest of the songs are fucking amazing, especially The Mephistopholes of LA, The Devil Beneath My Feet and Cupid Carries a Gun. At least one of these needs a good video.

As for the production, it actually exists, compared to the last 2 albums, but it still has some annoying bits: some solos are too low and the vocals too high, but nothing major.

This album became my 3rd favorite from MM. He couldnīt do better by hiring Bates.
    What?

14. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    My world is unaffected... Unpretty Unsafe's Avatar
    Add Unpretty Unsafe on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Iulian View Post
    Killer album, I can see it on repeat in my house for a long time. Most tunes were a hit for me from the first listen and the others grew on me. I donīt like Birds of Hell Awaiting, though. Odds of Even is a favorite after at first I thought it was boring. My bad. Slave Only Dream To Be King is alright, Warship My Wreck has a cool ending, but the first part is a bit monotonous.

The rest of the songs are fucking amazing, especially The Mephistopholes of LA, The Devil Beneath My Feet and Cupid Carries a Gun. At least one of these needs a good video.
    Pretty much agree 100% with this assessment of the album. And the general consensus that "Birds of Hell Awaiting" is the weakest song, I'd have to agree. Not much lyrical content on that one. If it were shortened to a 2 minute instrumental, it would've worked.

I also wasn't in love with "Odds of Even" upon first listen, but boy do I feel stupid, because I love it now. Especially the music toward the end, the outro. Fucking sweet!

I still love "Third Day..." and "Deep Six", despite overplaying them ad nauseam. Same goes for "Cupid...". Still amazing. But "The Mephistopheles of Los Angeles" is hands down my favorite track. That 100% NEEDS to be the next single/video.

I love the swagger to "The Devil Beneath My Feet" as well. And I wish the record were a few songs longer. It feels like it could've been even more grand had it been at least 13/14 tracks. But it's a great record. Above, Dronepool said it was like a Mechanical Animals of this decade, and that's the vibe I'm feeling too. The experimentation of new sounds, being brave enough to change, clean production, catchy hooks, self-confidence, etc.

Can't wait 8 more days to buy the fuck outta this record. Getting the deluxe muthafukka too!
    Last edited by Unpretty Unsafe; 01-12-2015 at 03:46 AM.

16. Like 4 Member(s) liked this post
    Married to Suedehead Shangri-LIE's Avatar
    Follow Shangri-LIE On Twitter

I'll do a full non purposefully retarded review shorty. "You cannot say I'm breaking the rules, if I can glue them back together."

This is a more personal record to me than EMDM and i am even going to say I enjoy it musically more than I even do Holywood.
    OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

18. Like 5 Member(s) liked this post