Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Marilyn Manson rip-off bands you may or may not like

Married to Suedehead Shangri-LIE's Avatar
    Follow Shangri-LIE On Twitter

Default Marilyn Manson rip-off bands you may or may not like

Now, I am not saying these bands are ripping Manson off, but they definitely are heavily influenced by him. Not accusing anyone of plagiarism. Not picking on anyone. What they do is their own unique, inspired intellectual property. My question is why and how do they get so many people to follow them? Feel free to name any other bands you feel "rip off" Manson and discuss if they are just influenced or directly taking from the man himself or not.

Mortified Mortician

Sister Kill Cycle

Justin Symbol

Double Cross PVC Portrait Style Attire.

For reference. Skolds album cover for Anomie

Discuss.
    Last edited by Shangri-LIE; 01-30-2015 at 07:28 AM.
    OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

2. Like 5 Member(s) liked this post
    Administrator
    IN gOD WE TRUST
    Follow Cringeon On Twitter Add Cringeon on Facebook Visit Cringeon's Instagram Channel

It's laughable because they will throw the defense that MM ripped off Bowie, Iggy, etc. The difference is taking influence and making something your own. These plastic dolls are just that, they take the most easy to replicate (usually visual ques) parts and then stick it against otherwise generic and uninvented music. I'm sure some of them are people stuck in what they consider the hay day of MM, yet criticize anything they feel is outside "the good old days".
    Hell, we could even group Scott Putesky in this group since pretty much everything he does now is pathetic tribute attempts of music everyone has moved on beyond. Funny thing I noticed, when looking at MM tribute bands (seems popular internationally) most are always trying to recreate the vibe of ACSS forward. No one wants to be a Spooky Kid except Scott. Spooky Seniors lol

It doesn't really bother me because it's all gimmick, and nothing of real artistic interest. It won't ever be anything more than little local bands who float their ego and use the MM name, image or impersonation as their way of riding the coattails yet giving them space of denial to somehow claim what they are doing is super unique hip and fresh. It'll fizzle into nothing because there is no substance to begin with.

4. Like 10 Member(s) liked this post
    Married to Suedehead Shangri-LIE's Avatar
    Follow Shangri-LIE On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Cringeon View Post
    It's laughable because they will throw the defense that MM ripped off Bowie, Iggy, etc. The difference is taking influence and making something your own. These plastic dolls are just that, they take the most easy to replicate (usually visual ques) parts and then stick it against otherwise generic and uninvented music. I'm sure some of them are people stuck in what they consider the hay day of MM, yet criticize anything they feel is outside "the good old days".
    Hell, we could even group Scott Putesky in this group since pretty much everything he does now is pathetic tribute attempts of music everyone has moved on beyond. Funny thing I noticed, when looking at MM tribute bands (seems popular internationally) most are always trying to recreate the vibe of ACSS forward. No one wants to be a Spooky Kid except Scott. Spooky Seniors lol

It doesn't really bother me because it's all gimmick, and nothing of real artistic interest. It won't ever be anything more than little local bands who float their ego and use the MM name, image or impersonation as their way of riding the coattails yet giving them space of denial to somehow claim what they are doing is super unique hip and fresh. It'll fizzle into nothing because there is no substance to begin with.
    OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

6. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

I find it weird that if a band takes influence it's only ACSS era. And the Skold/Symbol logo is downright plagiarism.

I guess the most obvious for me is Motionless in White

8. Like 3 Member(s) liked this post
    Follow Nemoris Inferioris On Twitter Add Nemoris Inferioris on Facebook Visit Nemoris Inferioris's Youtube Channel

I thought that this would be a good tread discussion. I have seen many bands that totally either rip Manson off, or are heavily influenced by him.

I could definitely say Motionless In White. They take his Golden Age Of Grotesque style and totally rip it off. "America". = Ka-Boom Ka-Boom. But i guess that is Skold's fault.
    Last edited by Nemoris Inferioris; 03-10-2016 at 06:57 AM.

10. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Svperstar13 View Post
    I find it weird that if a band takes influence it's only ACSS era.
    I agree with you but I don't think *hacking up a lung* influence *still coughing* is the appropriate word in most instances.

12. Like 3 Member(s) liked this post

You know that ACSS cover wasn't half bad.

And I actually really like that song by Sister Kill Cycle even if they are Dollar Store Marilyn Manson's.

And autotune.

lol

Add Davey Suicide

Logo look familiar? Lol.

Davey himself looks like Skold when he had dreadlocks

I enjoy him. I'm not very picky with music. If I like it, I like it.
    Last edited by Mok; 01-30-2015 at 04:04 PM.

14. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Svperstar13 View Post

Add Davey Suicide
    How on Earth did I ever forget about that one? Excellent post, Mr.Svperstar13. I knew there was something about his "image" that was familiar but I could never put my finger on it. What's with all the niggas in da haus rippin' off Skold?

Sidenote: Am I the only one finding inverted crosses just lame in this age? I like a healthy dose of cheesiness and tackiness every so often but... *drools foam*

16. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

If you want to copy, do it smart. Take different things from different artists, try to transform whatever you take from others into your own style. Otherwise, what's the point?

18. Like 4 Member(s) liked this post

OMG.. I cannot take any of these bands serious

Marilyn Manson music is on a complete different plane.. this stuff is shit.

Is this an SNL skit?

Last edited by EvilDead; 01-30-2015 at 04:43 PM.

20. Like 4 Member(s) liked this post