Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Marilyn Manson rip-off bands you may or may not like

Follow Idunno On Twitter

ffs
    "We were too dumb to run, too dead to die."

This band followed me on Twitter, never heard of them before. Dude's definitely a Manson ripoff

The lyrics are SO BAD.

Follow Idunno On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Dipp Six View Post
    This band followed me on Twitter, never heard of them before. Dude's definitely a Manson ripoff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPd-222gAOQ
    The lyrics are SO BAD.
    They followed me on Twitter and on Instagram.

Did you mention "Manson"? I think he keeps a tweetdeck open of that and follows whomever mentions him.

Follow Idunno On Twitter

I don't really know how that tweetdeck thing works, I might have mentioned Manson but I had him as my profile picture.

Follow Idunno On Twitter

Just listen to the verse and tell me it doesn't sound exactly like Ka-Boom Ka-Boom. Even the logo in the background looks like MM's. I kind of dig some of their music though.

7. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

This thread is very cynical and full of shitty bands. To alleviate that, I'm gonna share some bands that do it right, taking obvious influence from Manson but in the same way Manson takes obvious influence from Bowie. Fractured Fairytales to begin with. Definite Manson influence, but also originality. It's about 1/3rd Manson influence, 1/3rd Reznor influence, 1/3rd black metal influence. I quite like them.

The problem with these bands is that they're, and yes I'm going to make the joke, just breaking the same old ground, even FF with their more original sound. Manson figured out whose eyes needed sand kicked into them these days, maybe these could do the same and actually make metal relevant again. We've been sitting here sucking our own dicks for so long fucking pop music has managed to usurp the public moral enemy #1 status. I'm not saying everyone needs to go decapitate the president in a music video, but there's a whole wide range of cabinet members, congressmen, Neo-Nazi douchebags and other such people to piss off too. Christians? It's like stealing candy from a disabled baby now. The "moral majority" quit wrapping themselves in the shroud of Christianity years ago and now they've just thrown in with literal fucking Nazis. Their politics are their religion now, and their new god is a fucking stale cheeto.

To continue with another band/artist that takes obvious Manson influences but also is actually creative and original, Otep. Manson once said she scared him and I'm pretty sure that's a seal of approval. She got to Ozfest before having an album on the direct decision of Sharon, so there's that. I have certain tracks I'd like to post but can't because Youtube doesn't have them, so I'd like to inform you: look up the title track for Generation Doom. There's too many albums for me to give examples from all, but while she doesn't change the style, it definitely evolves, getting heavier for several albums and then more industrial for one and then the latest combined both. Also, just so happens her and Manson both have covers of Doors songs I prefer over the original.

Despite the poor Youtube titling, this here is the Lords of War music video.

9. Like 3 Member(s) liked this post

Great post and thanks for sharing! But I get absolutely ZERO ripping-off-or-even-just-influenced-by-Manson vibes from ANY of those songs by either band. That said, I'd never heard of Fractured Fairytales before but I especially liked "Fabricated Hell" up there so I very much appreciate the introduction!

Likewise, I've always thought Otep was fucking great and I've been DYING to see them live someday, but I've never felt like they were even aware of Manson's existence at all let alone taking their cues from him in any way. It seems more to me like they're just doing their own thing and fucking KILLING IT being awesome af because, well...they're fucking OTEP, man.

It's just what they do.

\m/

11. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Hazekiah View Post
    Great post and thanks for sharing! But I get absolutely ZERO ripping-off-or-even-just-influenced-by-Manson vibes from ANY of those songs by either band. That said, I'd never heard of Fractured Fairytales before but I especially liked "Fabricated Hell" up there so I very much appreciate the introduction!

Likewise, I've always thought Otep was fucking great and I've been DYING to see them live someday, but I've never felt like they were even aware of Manson's existence at all let alone taking their cues from him in any way. It seems more to me like they're just doing their own thing and fucking KILLING IT being awesome af because, well...they're fucking OTEP, man.

It's just what they do.

\m/
    FF I hear it heavily in his voice (come on that "FABRICATED HELL!" scream totally should have sold ya), thematically and artistically it's that ACSS/Downward Spiral feel on a low budget in the video, that really jerky sped up movement body positioning thing, the dude at 0:01-0:02, musically you can see how one could get from the heaviest parts of ACSS to FF. That said, they totally evolved. I was posting their doing-it-good.

Look where they were a few albums prior. Still my favorite Manson imitators, but there's no innovation there. It's just they're practically Manson's own Flymore in that one.

Otep? I mean she's in the top related artists of Manson on Spotify, shows up in any Manson radio algorithm, and this quote is one thing from her:

"Blistering.com: Marilyn Manson said that you scare him. Do you find anything scary about him?
    OTEP: Manson is beautifully frightening. His courage to say what needs to be said and his endless creativity are very inspiring."

http://www.oocities.org/SmellsLikeOT...erviewBNW.html

The fandoms overlap, the views overlap, she's done two of the same contacts Manson did one of, and her writing style is definitely Manson influenced. She also has other influences obviously, but I think it's evident she was influenced by him. She was a early-2000s debut metal artist that advocated politics opposed to the Religious Right, put references to her fucked up childhood, considers hers herself more "artist" than "musician", is a writer, made sacrilegious statements in music and Sharon Osbourne loves her. She's Manson crossed with Serj Tankian crossed with Joan Jett. Also, one of her openers in 2016 was an opener for Manson in 2009. She's fucking awesome live, too. I got in a headbang-off with whichever one wore the well I guess Gimp Spartan Helmet. It was at the Webster Underground in Hartford. Extremely intimate venue, I was up front pretty much in a fugue state after the four awesome (to me, I'm 100% a faction of the Manson fandom would hate each and every one of them, but I feel even Otep falls in that) opening acts (and she did an hour and a half show after all of them did like three to five songs each, I swear to god it was fucking intense). It was a great night. After the show she did a meet and greet for free and signed merch for everyone. Her staff let me jump the line because of how fucking dead I looked. I think that was why. I also was there for free due to the show I bought a ticket for closer to my house got canceled because the venue fucked them over. Seriously man it was literally the best show of my life. The other bands also signed merch free and did radio IDs for me. Due to Lacey Sturm not appearing at every show, she booked a local act to like open for the tour, and the were the weakest part of the thing. They also didn't even man their merch table, although they also didn't get a table, just a wall.
    Last edited by HG131; 02-02-2017 at 10:35 PM.

Fractured Fairy Tales is pretty dope, but yeah, I definitely hear the Manson influence in the vocals in some songs. That distinct tone he has.

You can hear the "Manson voice" a few times in this.

If you look at some of the videos the singer does that prosthetic dance too lol