Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image

Thread: Question About "Double-crossed and glossed over in my Pathos"

Follow Iulian On Twitter Add Iulian on Facebook Follow Iulian on Tumblr Visit Iulian's Instagram Channel

Default Question About "Double-crossed and glossed over in my Pathos"

For those of us who donīt speak English very well, what does this mean or what do you think it means?

2. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Double cross is probably a reference to the cross of Lorraine used for the celebritarian corperation

4. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Pathos-an element in experience or in artistic representation evoking pity or compassion
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pathos

To me, I think that this might be reference to his message over the years. We've all pitied him for his early life (pathos), growing up going to a Christian school that told him how to think (double cross). As for "glossed", that word reminds me of something that is appealing and glamorous.

Before this line, Manson says:
    Don't know if I can open up
    I've been open(ed) too much

When you include those lines before it, it seems to make more sense of the line you want to know about. I think that the "double-crossed and glossed over in my pathos" line refers to how this appealing/relatable story of his childhood that included a certain degree of religious "oppression" is all we really know about him. I think he's saying that he has more that he could "open up" about, but he thinks he's already said too much.

That's just my interpretation, and it's still forming in my head. I'll edit later if I develop it any more.

6. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post
    Visit Nigredo's Instagram Channel

The lines no doubt make reference to the double cross used for the Celebritarian concept but more so I think they speak to the more literal interpretation, that of being betrayed "double-crossed" or deceived after having shared the pain of the past. As for being "glossed" over, this can mean that what he shared by opening up was treated or seen as embarrassing or unfavorable and was "brushed under the rug" so to speak or not seen as important. Which, if the people who you make your self vulnerable to don't see how or care how you were hurt could make you not want to share anything else. That's why these lines, "I don't know if I can open up, I've been opened enough" precede those you inquired about.

8. Like 5 Member(s) liked this post

I haven't seen any official transcript of the lyrics (if there is one) but I've always heard the lyric as 'double-cross glossed over in my pathos,' and not 'double crossed.' So it seems like he's making a direct reference to the double-cross symbol as it represents him and his work, which makes sense to his saying that the song was him reidentifying with himself, or something to that effect, and also realizing where he stands now, which has also been spoken of in interviews (especially those with Bates). It seems he's saying (at least from how I hear the lyric) that all of this that he's created, and is important to him creatively, has simply become a product for sale, again comparable to the Faustian theme.

10. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    A Mental Revolution Nemoris Inferioris's Avatar
    Follow Nemoris Inferioris On Twitter Add Nemoris Inferioris on Facebook Visit Nemoris Inferioris's Youtube Channel

Being double crossed is covering (Glossed over) his pathos.

Pathos: a quality that evokes pity or sadness.

"Double Crossed" could mean two things at once, the Double Cross used for the CC, and being betrayed.
    Memento Mori
    You Pays Your Money, You Takes Your Choice.
    619208 919 4514
    -The Divine Trickster-
    I Was Invited To Eat The Young
    It's A Poor Sort Of Memory That Only Works Backwards.

12. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

It's obviously open to interpretation, but the most likely reading is Manson's personal life being manipulated or taken advantage of externally by those who are "artless". He was very vocal about this sort of thing during The High End Of Low, and I'd imagine it's a similar commentary on sycophants as we heard in Mister Superstar. He was asked about the Celebritarian symbol by The Heirophant:-

"I always have referred to it as the double cross and I think it has a funny sort of irony about it."
    MM . 2005

I'd imagine the pun itself is always implicit in its usage, especially when you consider his recent assessment of it representing 'As Above, So Below', it always represents the duality of his personality and events surrounding him.
    "the Serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which
    the LORD god had made
    "

m e m e n t o m o r i . p o s t m o r t e m

14. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post
    A Mental Revolution Nemoris Inferioris's Avatar
    Follow Nemoris Inferioris On Twitter Add Nemoris Inferioris on Facebook Visit Nemoris Inferioris's Youtube Channel

Thank you for cleaning up the title, whoever did it.
    Memento Mori
    You Pays Your Money, You Takes Your Choice.
    619208 919 4514
    -The Divine Trickster-
    I Was Invited To Eat The Young
    It's A Poor Sort Of Memory That Only Works Backwards.

16. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post