Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is The Pale Emperor A Concept Album?

Default Is The Pale Emperor A Concept Album?

Wasn't really sure whether to post this here or in "Marilyn Manson Discussion". And maybe it's too soon, but any theories going on yet? It's unfortunate the nachtkabarett seems to be completely defunct. Even though we've never got a complete thorough analysis of Born Villain, some of us here have done a pretty good job deciphering it, I think. Though I am sure there is much more dirt to dig while breaking this same old ground. lolz

Anyway.. So, Pale Emperor. Any thoughts on it yet? Is there anything to decipher, or are those days long gone? Is there a story? A character the album is talking about? Or is it a more personal album not unlike EMDM and THEOL?

Manson has said in interviews something about this album being "paying the devil back his due" and I definitely feel a certain vibe that I can't quite put my finger on that would make that paraphrase relevant. There is something melancholic about it and it's definitely an album to drive around at night and contemplate to. That's what I've been doing. The other night while listening to "Devil Beneath My Feet" I remember feeling like if this were Manson's final album, this would be a fitting album and great note to end it all on. There is something retrospective and introspective about it. Devil Beneath My Feet has a vibe to it... Can't find the right word at the moment, but it's like a "fuck it, I'm moving on" vibe. Think Judas Priest's "Headin' Out To The Highway" or White Snake's "Here I Go Again On My Own". Something to travel to and leave all your gods and devil's behind.

Enough about that song. What do you think is meant by "no one is exempt from the odds of even"? What do you think Manson is trying to say with this record?

2. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Married to Suedehead Shangri-LIE's Avatar
    Follow Shangri-LIE On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by M Tragedy666 View Post
    Wasn't really sure whether to post this here or in "Marilyn Manson Discussion". And maybe it's too soon, but any theories going on yet? It's unfortunate the nachtkabarett seems to be completely defunct. Even though we've never got a complete thorough analysis of Born Villain, some of us here have done a pretty good job deciphering it, I think. Though I am sure there is much more dirt to dig while breaking this same old ground. lolz

Anyway.. So, Pale Emperor. Any thoughts on it yet? Is there anything to decipher, or are those days long gone? Is there a story? A character the album is talking about? Or is it a more personal album not unlike EMDM and THEOL?

Manson has said in interviews something about this album being "paying the devil back his due" and I definitely feel a certain vibe that I can't quite put my finger on that would make that paraphrase relevant. There is something melancholic about it and it's definitely an album to drive around at night and contemplate to. That's what I've been doing. The other night while listening to "Devil Beneath My Feet" I remember feeling like if this were Manson's final album, this would be a fitting album and great note to end it all on. There is something retrospective and introspective about it. Devil Beneath My Feet has a vibe to it... Can't find the right word at the moment, but it's like a "fuck it, I'm moving on" vibe. Think Judas Priest's "Headin' Out To The Highway" or White Snake's "Here I Go Again On My Own". Something to travel to and leave all your gods and devil's behind.

Enough about that song. What do you think is meant by "no one is exempt from the odds of even"? What do you think Manson is trying to say with this record?
    Concept? Not sure. But we do know that he was heavily influenced by a book about Heliogabalus as well as other works of literature such as "Subliminal Seduction" , "As a Man Thinketh", "The Age of Manipulation" i.e.

"It is plain that the subconscious is a wicked witch's brew of superhuman interest or all.... the title Gentlemen Prefer Blondes may be both immoral and immortal, because it links hair and gold, faces and feces. For gold and dund have always had affinities, even as the greatest perfumes include a subtle ingredient of excrement. Since the world of dung and excrement is quite near to the daily conscious level, are we to panic when the admen put these at the bottom of the big hamper of goodies that the proffer the affluent?

Will the graffiti hidden under the lush appeal expedite sales or merely impede the maturity quotient of the buyers?.. It is a strange and tricky game to mount the sweet enticing figure on a rotten ground. The close relation between sex and violence, between good news and bad news, helps to explain the compulsion of hte admen to dunk all their products in sex by erogenizing every contour of every bottle or cigarette. Having reached this happy state where the good news is fairly popping, the admen say, as it were: "Better add a bit of the bad news now to take the hex off all that bonanza stuff."

Let's remind them that LOVE, replayed in reverse, is EVOL---transposing into EVIL and VILE. LIVE spells backward into EVIL, while EROS reverses into SORE. And, we should never forget the SIN in SINCERE or the CON in CONFIDENCE. - Professor Marshall McLuhan - University of Toronto Commenting in the book Subliminal Seduction

The use of subliminal stimuli as a device for motivating audiences in the various media has reached a high level of technical proficiency. It is indeed remarkable that these techniques could have developed over the past decades without anyone's finding out what was going on.

The motive behind advertising is pure and singular: sell and sell and sell. The communicators' techniques of achieving this motive, however, are well hidden. Symbol identification and repression mechanisms, in the unconscious of the multimillion audiences, are used extensively. The possible variations appear infinite. Subliminal perception is a subject that virtually no one wants to believe exists, and --- if it does exist --- they much less believe it has any practical application. Doubtless, I would be far more comfortable to simply ignore what is going on.

Every person .. has been victimized and manipulated by the use of subliminal stimuli directed into his unconscious mind... The secret has been well kept. The average citizen, as well as most ... scientists, simply do not know what is going on

Our purpose for features in subliminal mind control, besides investigative information and exposing the truth, is stated as a surprising result of the study. Once you are aware of HOW they control, WHY they control, WHO is controlling, and you accept the FACT that you have been manipulated and betrayed, NONE of these techniques are effective any longer for that person. While you and I may have suspected such a result, this was the first time it was the result of scientific studies. In the pictures presented you may not be able to see some of the fine details and make out the symbol or feature being discussed, due to the problem of internet and monitor resolutions, and from being scanned from a book, which already destroyed some of the detailing by offset printing from the original artwork. Even through those difficulties you will still be able to see many of the items being pointed out. "

http://www.hiddenmysteries.org/mind/...an/092000.html

It's also based on "The Tragedy of Dr. Faustus" where he makes a bet with an agent of Lucifer, Mephistopheles, who was both his guide but originally a forewarner of his not to enter into a contact with Lucifer by showing him the consequences of him, himself, doing so. On the song Odds of Even it's, in my opinion, it's about those who have absorbed Manson's identity as their own, as his face is the house of death, "the mirror", and that now they have to accept their fate and pay up to a bet lost.

An excerpt from "The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire" regarding Heliogabalus - "To confound the order of the season and climate, to sport with the passions and prejudices of his subjects, and to subvert every law of nature and decency, were in the number of his most delicious amusements. A long train of concubines, and a rapid succession of wives, among whom was a vestal virgin, ravished by force from her sacred asylum, were insufficient to satisfy the impotence of his passions. The master of the Roman world affected to copy the manners and dress of the female sex, preferring the distaff to the sceptre, and dishonored the principal dignities of the empire by distributing them among his numerous lovers; one of whom was publicly invested with the title and authority of the emperor's, or, as he more properly styled himself, the empress's husband. It may seem probable, the vices and follies of Elagabalus have been adorned by fancy, and blackened by prejudice. Yet, confining ourselves to the public scenes displayed before the Roman people, and attested by grave and contemporary historians, their inexpressible infamy surpasses that of any other age or country. Two hundred years after the age of Pliny, the use of pure, or even of mixed silks, was confined to the female sex, till the opulent citizens of Rome and the provinces were insensibly familiarized with the example of Elagabalus, the first who, by this effeminate habit, had sullied the dignity of an emperor and a man. was simply the loser in a power struggle within the imperial family; the loyalty of the Praetorian Guards was up for sale, and Julia Maesa had the resources to outmaneuver and outbribe her grandson. According to this version, once Elagabalus, his mother, and his immediate circle had been murdered, a wholesale propaganda war against his memory resulted in a vicious caricature which has persisted to the present, repeated and often embellished by later historians displaying their own prejudices against effeminacy and other vices which Elagabalus had come to epitomize."

With those things cited and pointed out, it is more of a confessional record than a conceptual one. He's made references to this "Faustian bet" since as early as 2002 in journal entries and he's also stated recently he's identified what he does with that of the ethos of Heliogabalus since around 1999/2000. "I didn't have to sell you." *wink lol
    Last edited by Shangri-LIE; 02-02-2015 at 10:56 AM. Reason: I don't proofread
    OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

4. Like 7 Member(s) liked this post

an easy answer is yes. you guys know every album is a concept album. maybe not to the extent of acss but its deff a story. manson never does anything by accident there is always a greater meaning. he said this record is his and "your" story so maybe insert your own concept.

6. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

[QUOTE=mattblack;186924 he said this record is his and "your" story so maybe insert your own concept.[/QUOTE]

insert yourself into the story. the blues was a genre the listener could easily relate with. this isnt him..its you.

8. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Even angels die at the arms of demons.

I'm gonna put this out there, which may rub people as "inappropriate", but I feel as if this song was directly influeced my MM's mother's passing... no one is exempt from death... with life you live to survive and ultimately die- of course there is duality in the song, but I can't help but feel heartbreak when I listen to this song, a bitter truth, an absolute.

As far as the album as a whole, I'm still taking it in. Which could take years--- im just enjoying the ride and the heart break- this is my death's desire, after all.
    Last edited by YoureAlreadyHere; 02-03-2015 at 11:48 AM.
    --------------------------------

Don't tell me what to do.

10. Like 8 Member(s) liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by YoureAlreadyHere View Post

I'm gonna put this out there, which may rub people as "inappropriate", but I feel as if this song was directly influeced my MM's mother's passing... no one is exempt from death... with life you live to survive and ultimately die- of course there is duality in the song, but I can't help but feel heartbreak when I listen to this song, a bitter truth, an absolute.

As far as the album as a whole, I'm still taking it in. Which could take years--- im just enjoying the ride and the heart break- this is my death's desire, after all.
    I thought about the same thing while listening to Odds of Even, in fact it happens quite often that when we lose a person very close to us, we understand better than ever that it is going to happen to us as well, sooner or later. Maybe that is one of the messages in this song.
    About the whole album though, I think there are many different themes (which were mentioned and analyzed before) combined with self-analysis.

12. Like 3 Member(s) liked this post
    Strange & Unusual Sinner Halo Infinity's Avatar

I've actually always felt like every Marilyn Manson album is a concept album, so I'd definitely be leaning more towards yes here. However, that's just me.

14. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post
    I am another yourself. Dronepool's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by YoureAlreadyHere View Post

I'm gonna put this out there, which may rub people as "inappropriate", but I feel as if this song was directly influeced my MM's mother's passing...

First thing I thought of as well, the demon being her sickness.

16. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by TMC View Post
    I thought about the same thing while listening to Odds of Even, analysis.
    Same thing crept into my mind - especially feeling the emotion and strain in his voice (or that's kinda how it sounds/feels to me).
    Last edited by Korpz; 02-05-2015 at 06:59 PM.
    "And We Will Sleep on the Skin of Its Nightmares..."

18. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    I've actually always felt like every Marilyn Manson album is a concept album, so I'd definitely be leaning more towards yes here. However, that's just me.
    Yeah, I feel the same way, besides maybe Portrait and SLC.