Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 333940414243

Thread: Hate Four

@Golden Eel

You may be self critical, but this was funny af. Enough that I have had the tab open for two days now to revisit it. The main problem is that then I get distracted and can't work out how to reply, other than to say 'great opening statement, nailed the landing.' The jokes that make it through your Jekyll and Hyde complex are funny though, so keep letting some get away from you.

If you work out the answer to easily changing core aspects of yourself, then you will be a very rich person selling it off to psychiatrists and psychologists the world over.
    Quid ignorantia sit multi ignorant.

Married to Suedehead Shangri-LIE's Avatar

Being bad at math
    OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

Married to Shangri-LIE Suedehead's Avatar

Colossal, hulking, elephantine mistakes that seem ultimately impossible to revoke. Oh, and a fuckton of regret.

So I'm getting my two cats brought to my address from abroad via a pet transport company. I was told that they would arrive this evening (it's already midnight over here) and now they told me to expect them at 4 in the morning! I have work at 11am also so not very happy about that. Will make sure to leave as many bad reviews for this company as I can as their service has been appalling so far.

speed bump mannequin Golden Eel's Avatar

People referring to a band they like as "the boys."

and with just one faint glance back into the sea
    the mollusk lingers with its wandering eye
      
      

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Eel View Post
    People referring to a band they like as "the boys."
    Suck it up lad!
    "the Serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which
    the LORD god had made
    "

m e m e n t o m o r i . p o s t m o r t e m

Married to Suedehead Shangri-LIE's Avatar

It's always something, it's always something, it's always something, it's always something when it comes to almost everything.
    OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Eel View Post
    I want to formulate some sort of fat joke about Shangs' mom at a Chinese buffet and the never before seen intensity of 'plate motion' she had going on, but uhhh... I frankly can't figure out a structure for it that's not super clunky and bad but I found my premise funny enough that I didn't want to bypass the joke and waste it.

This is a big problem of mine tbh. I'm very self critical when it comes to jokes I make. I try to avoid making the super obvious that everybody else would make in a situation. A not insignificant number of jokes I make result in a deep shame and self judgment if I feel they're not up to snuff. This sort of complex results in seeing funny premises throughout life and trying to think of a good way to frame it while avoiding the obvious angles of attack. But we're all human so sometimes I just go for the straight-forward crowd-pleaser joke and it seems like the number of people laughing at the joke is directly proportional to how dirty I feel about it afterwards. The opposite side of a coin is analyzing something and not being able to figure out a way to go about the joke that you feel good with until eventually the timing is gone or you just stop finding it funny because the spontaneity is gone and it's just turning into a pre-prepared joke - which is the worst.

Generally my favorite jokes are the ones at which the only person laughing is myself. So like with every other element of life, I'd got this weird Jekyll and Hyde directly contradictory paradox shit going on where I find myself goddamn hilarious to a massive fault while also thinking my jokes are fucking garbage. I know egomania and self-loathing often find themselves strange bedfellows in many people and it's not some unique trait of mine, but that doesn't make it any less confusing in terms of introspection. Particularly introspection with the hopeful but always fruitless goal of repairing some of these knocking rods and low oil.

Like, how do you even go about really changing a fundamental aspect of your personality and being? Noticing it and acknowledging it is the easy part, everybody does that. And changing your outward behavior is relatively straight-forward, but how do you get to the root of the issue and actually fix the fundamental broken cogs and gears inside your head? Did I accidentally skip this class in high school or something? Or is the best we can hope for a shoddy cosmetic cover-up where we pretend to be a person who isn't shit for long enough that we just start to actually absorb those behaviors and just happen to consequentially and subconsciously mold ourselves into this weird automaton we created based on what we think is the desirable way to act? Humans are social animals so of course we are all the sum of our experiences and interactions, but at what level do we really steer our own ship?

Is there anything so deeply hardwired in the human psyche that no amount of mental effort can affect meaningful change? Can you make yourself love a genre of music that you know you can't stand? Can you force yourself to be attracted to a different gender? Can you just will yourself into liking a food you know tastes disgusting to you? Meandering aside, that last example is frankly the prudent one here - because if I get stuck behind Shangs' mom in line at the buffet while she picks out every last piece of beef and leaves only broccoli in the tray one more time I'm going to lose my fucking shit.
    replace change with "Avoid" and you've a winner.
    What it really comes down to is Luck: is your delirium more convenient to ignore than the next person's. (consider the triggers that form the needs)
    Yes? Begin building those walls!
    No? You're fudged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNCMNR98gxc
    ^ has nothing to do with you, just human brain/environment conundrum
    & WHY NOT? Love Spencer Reed of Criminal Minds
    --------------------------------

Don't tell me what to do.