Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image

Thread: Mechanical Animals: Omega, Alpha, Coma White, etc... Mega Thread

Default Mechanical Animals: Omega, Alpha, Coma White, etc... Mega Thread

This is my favorite MM album and the one that hooked me. Needless to say, I am obsessed with the concept of the album and it's characters. Anyway, there are many things I need to learn about the concept in order to fully appreciate it. I also don't want this thread to be just about my questions, I would love this to be a discussion thread encompassing all of the MA album and Era.

I have tried to research a lot about this subject and found some cool things but not an answer (such as nachtbarette, mansonwiki etc).

*Anyway about Omega. Is he the same as Alpha? If not then who is Alpha?
    *Since this follows Holy Wood chronologically, are Omega and/or Alpha Adam Kadmon?
    *Significance of Coma White as a pill in the booklet?

*on a side note, are there any high quality pics of Marilyn Manson/Omega in his sexy red "lingerie" outfit from the Mechanical Animals tour?

2. Like 4 Member(s) liked this post
    Sunday AIDS & Church Wine jacobn28's Avatar

I always imagined Omega as Alpha's alter-ego. He is trying to find Coma White, while at the same time, fighting himself. At the end, he discovers that Coma White doesn't exist, and she was just a drug-induced thought. He then becomes a "Mechanical Animal" himself, and i guess he just dies inside.

In accordance to Holy Wood, my interpretation is that at the end of Holy Wood, Adam shoots himself, and slips into a coma or hallucination. Not to say everything on MA was fake; he's still experiencing it, but at the end of MA, when the world ends, he is left empty and hollow, I think it's at that point that Adam, along with Alpha & Omega, finally die.

I'm gonna tie in ACSS briefly, because it kind-of adds to this thought. I think that in HW, Adam had a son, and his son is the character in ACSS. I think another user brought up this idea before, and i completely agree. Adam is referencing his son in "Valentine's Day", knowing what will become of his child. Also, the lyric in Man That You Fear: "I was born into this". The Desintegrator knows who his father was, and what he tried to acomplish.

It all fits in my head.
    Last edited by jacobn28; 07-14-2015 at 05:56 PM.

4. Like 4 Member(s) liked this post
    Add arkahno on Facebook Follow arkahno on Tumblr

Aplha (the Alien) falls in the earth, so is captured by USA government and turned into some great rock star, (you can see this during the dope show video, where they put some weird things so he can feed himself with his breast and make them disapear)
    Alpha is selled to the masses as a big star and he falls in all this spiral of drug abuse and superficiality, at one point he is tired of that, and breaks all his replicas (you can see alpha already turned into omega breaking his copys in the dope show video, where he is wearing an alpha suit, because he wanted to be himself again).
    He couldn't be himself again, so he accept to live in this horrible world.
    At one point he meet Coma, which can be seeing as a girl, a pill or just a side effect, he falls in love with her and idolize her as the perfection.
    At the end the world ends, and all the characters holds their hand as the world gets to its end, coma, alpha and omega (another side effect of himself, or just the alien reflection, so he can decide which one is he anymore).
    The end of world can be also seeing as the end of his world.

In the booklet, you can see which songs is singed by who character, the black pages are from omega and the alien ones are from the alien/alpha, also coma is the girl who sang, "all that glitters is cold".

(this story can be related also with marilyn manson himslef and his story at the time, when he reached the fame as an alien and was transformed in a product for the masses)

6. Like 3 Member(s) liked this post
    Not man enough to b human Manson15Marilyn's Avatar

Well, Mr Manson said himself that - and I'm paraphrasing - half of it was a parody of himself (the black pages) and the other half was a personal view of the life he'd taken up (the white pages). I see it as an outward experience and an inward reflection of the life in hollywood.

From what I understand about the character, he came from the earth went out to space with the stars as a rebellious counter-culture figure, and ultimately became one of the stars himself. I believe Coma White to have been real but he was too high to realise what he had til she was gone.

As for whether or not he is Adam, I don't think so. I believe all 3 characters are all different but each represent Marilyn Manson in different parts of the story.
    I am your vulture, your immoral sculpture, mirrorman who understands. I know you. I am you, your fantasy, reality.

Don't be surprised I can look you in the eye. It's hard to take you serious when you take me inside.

How the fuck are we supposed to know when I'm a monster in the way you refuse to die? How the fuck are we supposed to know if we're in love or if we're in pain?
    "Are we in love or are we in pain?"

8. Like 5 Member(s) liked this post
    My world is unaffected... Unpretty Unsafe's Avatar
    Add Unpretty Unsafe on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Manson15Marilyn View Post
    Well, Mr Manson said himself that - and I'm paraphrasing - half of it was a parody of himself (the black pages) and the other half was a personal view of the life he'd taken up (the white pages). I see it as an outward experience and an inward reflection of the life in hollywood.
    Pretty on point. And the half of the album that was a parody, was performed by the fictitious band, Omēga and The Mechanical Animals.

10. Like 3 Member(s) liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaDopeStar23 View Post
    *Anyway about Omega. Is he the same as Alpha? If not then who is Alpha?
    *Since this follows Holy Wood chronologically, are Omega and/or Alpha Adam Kadmon?
    Omega and Alpha refer to the same persona, where Alpha is the "public Image" (and the parody of stardom) and Omega the sickly, needy and neurotic emotional side of Alpha that is invisible- in other words, Alpha is what is visible, Omega what Alpha feels like.

Coming to question number two, it is plausible that Alpha is another "incarnation" of Adam Kadmon- Alpha is innocent, and used by a higher power. Alpha makes use of trite and hackneyed slogans, just as Adam previously ( "I'm not a slave to a god..." "God is in the TV...") This correlation is also visible between the two excerpts from lyrics:
    "I'm a monkey with a misspelled name"- Mar1lyn Man5on , respectively
    "I'm someone else, I'm someone new, I'm someone stupid just as you"- "Look at me now!"
    Adam Kadmon seems to foreshadow his rebirth as Alpha in "Born again".
    When seeing each album of the triptych as an alchemist's process, we could see each album as an unsuccessful transformation process. Each album includes Adam Kadmon being seduced- the Fall from Grace. His reaction remains the same: forsaking emotions, resulting in the failure of the transformation. In Antichrist Superstar, Adam Kadmon becomes the ultimate nightmare: a ruthless dictator, cold, methodical and blunt- another undone transformation, as track 99 suggests: "When you are suffering, know that I have betrayed you."

12. Like 4 Member(s) liked this post

Ok, I think I'm getting the grasp of it. I agree with the poster that said the pregnant girl (coma white/black) gave birth to the worm, though still a bit fuzzy on that. About the alchemical aspect of the albums, could someone explain that?

Quote Originally Posted by Mercurius View Post
    Omega and Alpha refer to the same persona, where Alpha is the "public Image" (and the parody of stardom) and Omega the sickly, needy and neurotic emotional side of Alpha that is invisible- in other words, Alpha is what is visible, Omega what Alpha feels like.

Coming to question number two, it is plausible that Alpha is another "incarnation" of Adam Kadmon- Alpha is innocent, and used by a higher power. Alpha makes use of trite and hackneyed slogans, just as Adam previously ( "I'm not a slave to a god..." "God is in the TV...") This correlation is also visible between the two excerpts from lyrics:
    "I'm a monkey with a misspelled name"- Mar1lyn Man5on , respectively
    "I'm someone else, I'm someone new, I'm someone stupid just as you"- "Look at me now!"
    Adam Kadmon seems to foreshadow his rebirth as Alpha in "Born again".
    When seeing each album of the triptych as an alchemist's process, we could see each album as an unsuccessful transformation process. Each album includes Adam Kadmon being seduced- the Fall from Grace. His reaction remains the same: forsaking emotions, resulting in the failure of the transformation. In Antichrist Superstar, Adam Kadmon becomes the ultimate nightmare: a ruthless dictator, cold, methodical and blunt- another undone transformation, as track 99 suggests: "When you are suffering, know that I have betrayed you."
    I think you have attached the polar opposite distinctions to Alpha and Omega...?

Visit cataract777's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaDopeStar23 View Post
    *Significance of Coma White as a pill in the booklet?
    A quote from the Nachtkabarett "Manson himself has stated that Coma is not literally a woman but is a personification of an ideal of perfection, an unobtainable entity which we forever pine after and seek to make tangible but forever out of reach. It's a concept which the representation of which, though illustrated as a girl, is interchangeable with all that we use to numb and pleasure ourselves with: drugs, sex, religion, TV,etc. It's these very things which we use to attempt to bring us closer to this state of perfection to make us happy, these things that we believe bring us closer to "god", that liberates us but in reality does nothing but make us numb, inebriate us and make us more and more mechanical.".

I think this best describes why Coma White appears as a pill in the album booklet. Coma White represents perfection. "A pill to make you anybody else..."

16. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

I've been binging on Bowie, and I've noticed something that, knowing Manson and the fact he covered Golden Years, I doubt is a coincidence. The Thin White Duke was Bowie's last big character. Furthermore, The Berlin Trilogy is not Bowie's name for it. He calls it The Berlin Triptych. Yeah. While Bowie's characters can be compared to Manson's, the shared use of triptych is almost definitely intentional. Low, "Heroes" and The Lodger, Bowie's Triptych. Not a minor thing. Now, The Thin White Duke and the album Station to Station is where Golden Years comes from, which Manson covered. But, consider this. The Thin White Duke was the product of David Bowie's drug use and the creation of his new character, a "superman" of the philosophical Nazi type who sung hollow, meaningless love songs. David Bowie literally went insane playing The Thin White Duke, and basically thought he WAS The Thin White Duke. And yes, he said racist things. Bowie explained his actions later on his extensive cocaine abuse, and just written descriptions of his illness bother me, because he's a real person and that's awful. But, what does this indicate about Manson?

Well, quite simply, Alpha and Omega are not just Ziggy Stardust. Alpha is an homage to The Thin White Duke. Empty, hollow love songs? Check. Literally thin and white? Lazy, but check. The character having that worship in-story and while not to Bowie levels still really high at the time? Check. Alpha feeling emotions but doing them badly? Check. Omega getting wrapped up into rockstardom like Ziggy, but Alpha being apparently just an old pro? Check. Omega and Alpha learn from each other. Manson said Alpha is based on himself. Manson's previous character had other similar views to The Thin White Duke, namely being a Nietzsche Supermanesque character. Alpha is him evolving away from that by learning from a being of more chaos than himself. Whether Omega is based on one person, a bunch or a bunch of different things, it's what drove him from Antichrist Superstar to Mechanical Animals and Holy Wood. Omega is based on Ziggy Stardust, but Alpha is based on The Thin White Duke, who Manson was evolving away from as The Worm became a Nietzsche Superman (like a Randian Superman almost, and LaVeyan Satanism had a lot of basis in Objectivism) himself and destroyed the world in his hate. That's why Alpha is The Thin White Duke. As for Coma White? Idk. A lot of fanfic has author OCs (jk jk).

18. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post