Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why Has 'Target Audience' Never Been Played Live?

Quote Originally Posted by S.D. View Post
    His tastes may change over time, but where did you read this? During the recent live conversation with Billy Corgan, he stated Lamb Of God was his favourite track. If that's his favourite song overall, it must surely be his favourite on Holy Wood, by default.

Incidentally, the band have never claimed that multi-instrumentalism is detrimental or a hindrance to live performances. There were twenty-seven different guitar tracks layered into the song Antichrist Superstar in the studio, and that one seems to be pulled off just fine with only one guitar. Maybe Target Audience (Narcissus Narcosis) just isn't one he's ever wanted to add into the setlist, sometimes it's that simple.
    He was at some MTV event. I can't find it but I promise to to be true. I'll keep looking.

Edit: above post explained it lol...

Quote Originally Posted by S.D. View Post
    Incidentally, the band have never claimed that multi-instrumentalism is detrimental or a hindrance to live performances. There were twenty-seven different guitar tracks layered into the song Antichrist Superstar in the studio, and that one seems to be pulled off just fine with only one guitar.
    Um. Isn't there a difference between layered tracks and separate pieces of music?

3. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post
    Married to Suedehead Shangri-LIE's Avatar
    Follow Shangri-LIE On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by VelvetAIDS View Post
    Um. Isn't there a difference between layered tracks and separate pieces of music?
    Yes. Yes, there is. You are correct. This fact have been brought to you by the letter 4. lol
    OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

5. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Target Audience is my favorite track on HW. If he never played back in the HW tours then I really don't see it happening. I'm not gonna be definitive on that because who knows, maybe in 3 years or less he'll play it live. It's up to him.
    A system organized around the weakest qualities of individuals will produce these same qualities in its leaders.

7. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Married to Suedehead Shangri-LIE's Avatar
    Follow Shangri-LIE On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Gondule View Post
    Target Audience is my favorite track on HW. If he never played back in the HW tours then I really don't see it happening. I'm not gonna be definitive on that because who knows, maybe in 3 years or less he'll play it live. It's up to him.
    He'll never play it live. We're lucky that we even get "Coma White". lol
    OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

Maybe the reason he never played neither "Target Audience" nor "Lamb of God" is that they have such a meaning to him. Perhaps Manson finds the recordings of these songs so perfect that he doesn't want to change anything about them in order to make them suitable to be played by a live band? Who knows... Still, it's a pity he never played either of them (and, let's face it, never will), since I also find them to be among my favorite songs in the entire discography.

Original AIDS provider.

Quote Originally Posted by Iulian View Post
    Too many instruments for a small band. They would have to use back tracks for half of the song, which on the other hand I┤m sure it wouldn┤t be a problem for the fans :D
    There's no more instruments than plenty of other songs in their catalogue. Anyway, for a band that's been playing the last few years with all the keyboards coming off a backing track, it seems like a weird distinction.

Anyway, from the 'Phant's Everyone Will Suffer Now interview:

Are there are any songs in the catalog that you can see absolutely never playing again? A song like Kinderfeld, for instance, hasn't been played since 1997... Do you ever foresee playing songs like that?

"One song I regret not playing is Target Audience - we are going to rehearse - don't want to spoil anything."
    My avatar looks like a mix of NIN, My Chemical Romance, and Chris Vrenna

Follow Iulian On Twitter Add Iulian on Facebook Follow Iulian on Tumblr Visit Iulian's Instagram Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Shangs View Post
    No, not necessarily. Had Marilyn Manson kept his strongest line up which consisted of professional musicians, (That he under utilized), and the raw, experimentalist talent of Madonna Wayne Gacy, (Who didn't even know how to play a Keyboard before joining Marilyn Manson, he learned along the way), then they would have been able to pull it off. Especially with John in the fold.

Look at how stripped down even their most simple hits, the set list, are. During the Holywood Era, it most definitely should have been played, and most certainly could have been pulled off. Who ever came up with the idea that you can't perform a song that you fucking WROTE? That makes no God Damn sense at all. It's just, yet again, another excuse.
    Maybe, but if you listen to the song, the acoustic guitars, the electric ones, the bass etc. it┤s just too much sampling to be considered ┤live┤. Also, there are 33 songs from the 3 albums never performed (or so I┤ve read) so he might wanna keep that.

Same reason he won't change the setlist, I would assume.
    Ok, I laughed at this. Kudos.
    What?

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Not really, it's the same principle. The way something sounds is generated by how many different audio tracks comprise it. So if one guitarist can adequately interpret twenty-seven guitar tracks and retain the impact of the original recording then it's testament to what can be done live. Even a relatively simple song like Cruci-Fiction In Space has so much more going on within the recorded version compared to live renditions, but still packs a punch on stage.

Anyway, I'm not sure where the idea of Target Audience being this epic multi-layered song that's impossible to perform live comes from, it's no more complicated than Astonishing Panorama Of The Endtimes, The Last Day On Earth, Apple Of Sodom or King Kill 33║ (for example), and they've all been done. Again, I think sometimes fans over-scrutinise matters, he might just not consider it one for a live show.
    "the Serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which
    the LORD god had made
    "

m e m e n t o m o r i . p o s t m o r t e m

Dude.

I'm pretty sure the only reason there are 27 layered guitars in Antichrist Superstar is to create a particular sound for the song, but because it would make something different in playing the song. Smashing Pumpkins would often throw a zillion guitar layers for shits and giggles to create a crunching guitar in some songs. It doesn't really make a difference in playing it live, the song would probably sound different - John 5's distortion in the live album sounds much "weaker" - , but playing the song is exactly the same D5 chord, then put your finger on the third bar.

I'm also pretty sure there isn't any particular reason.
    Oblivion Awaits

14. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post