Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image

View Poll Results: What is your favorite track?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Prelude (The Family Trip)

1 2.22%
  • Cake and Sodomy

2 4.44%
  • Lunchbox

8 17.78%
  • Organ Grinder

1 2.22%
  • Cyclops

2 4.44%
  • Dope Hat

5 11.11%
  • Get Your Gunn

5 11.11%
  • Wrapped in Plastic

1 2.22%
  • Dogma

4 8.89%
  • Sweet Tooth

3 6.67%
  • Snake Eyes and Sissies

5 11.11%
  • My Monkey

2 4.44%
  • Misery Machine

6 13.33%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Poll] Portrait of an American Family - Your Favorite Track and Discussion

Default [Poll] Portrait of an American Family - Your Favorite Track and Discussion

[Poll] Portrait of an American Family - Your Favorite Track and Discussion

1. Prelude (The Family Trip)
    Great intro, I won't count this as a best or worst track, it's good for what it is.

2. Cake and Sodomy
    Excellent track. I love how it's so vulgar but almost radio sounding. When I first heard this album I thought of this as the main single (though I later found out it wasn't a single at all, which isn't surprising considering the title let alone the lyrics.)
    *TOP 3*

3. Lunchbox
    Classic. An absolute favorite. Always thought the "I bring you" part was Manson until I read that it was sampled.
    *TOP 3*

4. Organ Grinder
    Always loved this one, just a fun track. I especially like how they sampled from "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang".
    Also love how he says "You're not gonna hear what he don't want to hear" @ 1:15

5. Cyclops
    Not a bad track, but I would consider this in the lower end. Favorite part of the song is that guitar work @ 2:44.

6. Dope Hat
    Love it, it's like a carnival ride in audio form.
    *TOP 3*

7. Get Your Gunn
    Another great one. Definitely one of the darker tracks. Honestly surprised this was used as a single though, as there is so much profanity.

Creepy trivia: This song includes a sample from the Budd Dwyer suicide (left speaker @ 2:31)

8. Wrapped in Plastic
    Excellent much overlooked track. I especially like the "feeling so white" part @ 3:20

9. Dogma
    Another fun track, good but in the lower end for me.

10. Sweet Tooth
    Always loved this one. The chorus "I will break you inside out" is pure 90s Manson bliss.

11. Snake Eyes and Sissies
    Love it. So fun and well produced.

Fun trivia: This was originally planned to be the main single of the album.

12. My Monkey
    Not a bad track, but I honestly have never been a fan of this one. If I had to put the tracks in order, this would be on the bottom.

13. Misery Machine
    Love it. A fun track that is full of energy. I also like how they end the album with what seems to be the highest BPM track on here.

I think it would have been cool if this was a single, it's radio friendly since it has no profanity, and would have made for a cool video with an animated Manson in vehicle form blasting down the highway.

Also, could have had a single edit to remove the downtempo part.

Vote for your favorite track, and feel free to discuss any of them as I have above.

2. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post
    Visit cataract777's Youtube Channel

I chose Snake Eyes and Sisies as my favorite track from this record. It has such a catchy beat and tune. It also was fantastic live. But weren't they all?

Misery Machine is also a song I've come to appreciate after all of these years. I wasn't initially fond of it but seeing it done live has changed my mind. It's a fun yet brooding track. My Monkey is also another good one, the demo is especially fantastic. And who can forget Dogma? Dogma was so fantastic live and on the record it also makes for a badass listen. Cake and Sodomy I especially love for the samples and the strong drum beat when it was played live. I loved that it was recently added to the set list again.

My least favorites would have to be Sweet Tooth and Cyclops. I used to, somewhat, love both but they both kind of bore me now. Sweet Tooth, to me, is just too slow and uninteresting.

4. Like 3 Member(s) liked this post

This poll just gave me an existential crisis.

I have tiers, apparently.

Dope Hat, Wrapped In Plastic
    Cake & Sodomy, My Monkey, Get Your Gunn
    Organ Grinder, Lunchbox
    Everything else that isn't Cyclops
    Cyclops

6. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

*Booo - you don't like the Cyclops* - lol, maybe he should remove it from his arm then lol

I voted for Dope Hat! 'Dope is in the hat, it's filled with this and that...'
    and it's closely followed by Lunchbox, 'got my metal and I'm armed real well...'

8. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    http://img07.deviantart.net/7972/i/2...sadistikid.jpg

*Booo - you don't like the Cyclops* - lol, maybe he should remove it from his arm then lol
    Just because I don't like Cyclops doesn't mean I have an issue if someone else does. We all like different things. I just find the song a tad boring, even live. But that tattoo is badass.

10. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by cataract777 View Post
    that tattoo is badass.
    I agree, I like the tattoo a lot better than the song!

I think the song is alright, I just don't think it's as good as the rest of the ablum (same with My Monkey).

While I generally listen to Portrait beginning to end, I thought about which tracks I repeat when listening, or which tracks I listen to at random, and those are the two tracks that basically fall into the "never" category. I tend to only listen to them when playing the whole album. (which is more often than not, because it's so good.)

12. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

"Sweet Tooth" and "Misery Machine" are the best two tracks on the album. "Cyclops" is a runner-up.
         

and with just one faint glance back into the sea
    the mollusk lingers with its wandering eye
      
      

14. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

If I had to choose between the two, I'd much rather prefer Sweet Tooth over Cyclops.

16. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post
    Muddy Knees

The song Cyclops has always been the one song from this album I constantly skip. There's nothing appealing to me about that track, and it would have been replaced by far better tunes from the Spooky Kids days. "Negative Three" and "Suicide Snowman" come to mind as favorable choices.

"Snake Eyes and Sissies" "Misery Machine" and "Wrapped in Plastic" are my favorites. SEaS gets my vote.

18. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post
    A Mental Revolution Nemoris Inferioris's Avatar
    Follow Nemoris Inferioris On Twitter Add Nemoris Inferioris on Facebook Visit Nemoris Inferioris's Youtube Channel

There are tracks that i love, and don't care for. I like Dogma, it is so fun and badass. Wrapped In Plastic, Sweet Tooth, both awesome tracks.

But i went for Misery Machine. This song is killer. Manson always picks the best tracks to end the albums. Could have been a single, or at least a promo single. It would have worked better as a single than Get Your Gunn. I especially love the sample from "Desperate Living" at the end, the telephone ring (reference to the SP song Telephone?), and the voicemail from a angry mother.
    Memento Mori
    You Pays Your Money, You Takes Your Choice.
    619208 919 4514
    -The Divine Trickster-
    I Was Invited To Eat The Young
    It's A Poor Sort Of Memory That Only Works Backwards.

20. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post